It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edinburgh, tips and whatabout Brexit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Booked a vacation trip to Edinburgh a month ago and we are arriving Edinburgh in June. We will have one day trip to Highlands and Loch Ness ( Kid wants to see Nessie !) by Gray Line tours, all the other plans for vacation in Edinburgh are still open.
Possibly Rosslyn chapel visit as it is only 15km away from Edinburgh and visiting Real Mary King’s close.

Any other good tips? I love history and have ancestors from Scotland Tait of Pirn and clans Scott, McColin and so on..
And what should i expect from Brexit as i just read the news that UK might go for hard Brexit and has soldiers ready for step in if there will be chaos ?

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
We will have one day trip to Highlands and Loch Ness ( Kid wants to see Nessie !) by Gray Line tours, all the other plans for vacation in Edinburgh are still open.

Ah, "the Loch Ness lobster", as my five-year old brother called it on our first trip. The mountain-valley scenery on the way up there will also be spectacular. It may be worth reflecting on the fact that those empty glens at the side were once clan territories.
If you like castles, there is also Stirling, easily reachable by train if you don't have a car with you.
The Museum of Childhood is still there in Edinburgh (not open every day).

edit on 22-3-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Stay on the paths don't stray off them especially after dark.
Wear a kilt to fit in and carry buckfast as bate to protect you from the wildlings.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Stirling is on the tour so we will have couple of hours there
I heard stirling restaurants are busy and summer season people have to wait long time before they get a table, so we will pack our lunch and use the time there better i hope

a reply to: MyToxicTash
I am going to buy a kilt with Tait tartan.. propably a bagpipe too

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:07 AM
link   
If you find a wee baby haggis in a he highlands don’t look it in the eyes or it will attack

Do not feed the neds

Learn some Scottish before you travel, including the correct way to say Edinburgh.

Do not wear a “fanny pack” we will laugh at you

If travelling after brexit please bring food and medical aid for the locals.

For the kids there is quite a bit of Harry Potter stuff to do.

For the adults go on the whisky trail.

The two above do not mix, drunk foreigners who run around grey friers pretending they are wizards is not good.

To try irnbru

Do not speak about football at anytime, Hibs fans will atack and herts fans will cry

Again cannot emphasise how vital it is you and the children all curry a bottle of buckfast at all times

edit on 22-3-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

am uncertain how a culture that gave us the sporran - can mock bum bags - with any sort of decorum

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

am uncertain how a culture that gave us the sporran - can mock bum bags - with any sort of decorum

Furry bum bags are ok...

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I'm on the fence about going to Edinburgh or London this December. I like whisky so I'm leaning towards the former, the wife doesn't so she wants the latter.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm on the fence about going to Edinburgh or London this December. I like whisky so I'm leaning towards the former, the wife doesn't so she wants the latter.

Only about 4 - 5 hours train journey so easy to split even a short break between the 2.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Probably only going for 4 days so I can turn a mileage run into a mini-vacation, I dont know if I want to spend that much more time travelling so it's got to be one or the other.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
Booked a vacation trip to Edinburgh a month ago and we are arriving Edinburgh in June. We will have one day trip to Highlands and Loch Ness ( Kid wants to see Nessie !) by Gray Line tours, all the other plans for vacation in Edinburgh are still open.
Possibly Rosslyn chapel visit as it is only 15km away from Edinburgh and visiting Real Mary King’s close.

Any other good tips? I love history and have ancestors from Scotland Tait of Pirn and clans Scott, McColin and so on..
And what should i expect from Brexit as i just read the news that UK might go for hard Brexit and has soldiers ready for step in if there will be chaos ?

What age are the kids? Lots of good stuff to do but quite age specific.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Probably only going for 4 days so I can turn a mileage run into a mini-vacation, I dont know if I want to spend that much more time travelling so it's got to be one or the other.

I may have a small bias....

However London is pretty much interchangeable with any other large city. Edinburgh lot more interesting if you haven't been before.
edit on 22-3-2019 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Are you saying Scotland Highlands are full of wee baby Haggis ? no loo or is it THE LOO ??

Trying to avoid Neds..

Edinburgh .. pronouncing is like saying it in proto scandinavian and proto finnish.. no big deal.

No no to funny packs... so 80`s

Kid is teen.. no Potter to him.. Irnbru yes

Football.. that is hard as i have played in national league here..

This is first time for hubby to travel in UK also to the kid.. for me it is the 4th... Been in Cambridge, London and Brighton ..
edit on 22-3-2019 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
However London is pretty much interchangeable with any other large city. Edinburgh lot more interesting if you haven't been before.

I haven't which is why I'm favoring it, I also wanted to take a quick side trip to Dufftown and worship at the altar of Balvenie and Glenfiddich.

What's the weather like in December?

edit on 22-3-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

I haven't which is why I'm favoring it, I also wanted to take a quick side trip to Dufftown and worship at the altar of Balvenie and Glenfiddich.

There are some good whisky pubs on Cockburn street (no s'n-word'ing at back of class) or at the Grassmarket (I said no s'n-word'ing).

ETA _ ATS doesn't like the word s n I g g e r I n g?
edit on 22-3-2019 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Weather in December. Probably raining.

In fairness pick any month it's probably raining.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

Edinburgh is a great city, been there a few times.

Plenty of places of interest to go to, some really good bars and restaurants.
Try Princes Street and the Grassmarket.

As with almost every major city and town there are places where its best to keep your wits about you and probably even avoid after dark.

Keep clear of the deep fried Mars Bars and kebabs.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Anywhere in the UK is pretty damned miserable in December.
But lots to see in both London and Edinburgh.

Got to say the locals are bit more friendly in Edinburgh but everyone should visit London at least once in their lifetime.
Camden is a must, my favourite area of London by a distance.

If you fancy something different try North East England, beautiful countryside and plenty to see and do.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Really dont mention football and Kazakhstan in the same sentence.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I may have a small bias....

lol, just a teensy weensy bit biased then, not sure how many palaces, theatres and parks every other large city has, I've found Edinburgh to be ok, but basically a little like the golden mile in Blackpool but with more tartan shops, and no, I'm not a Londoner and don't live there but enjoy my time there when work calls me to do so.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join