It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 'Father of the Mac' Jef Raskin Dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Well, I think that it is strange I never heard of him. This is the man who created the click and drag, he is the one who created the name Macintosh after his favorite apple, and was a true creator. He started as Employee 31, but became the man who revolutionized the Apple Company.

www.overclockersclub.com
Jef Raskin, the man who pioneered the original Macintosh computer project, died at the age of 61 on Saturday night from pancreatic cancer. Jef created the Macintosh computer as employee number 31 at Apple in the early 1980s, revolutionizing computer interface design. Jef invented "click and drag" and many other methods now taken for granted by computer users. He named the Macintosh project after his favorite variety of apple, the McIntosh, modifying the spelling for copyright purposes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, I never heard of him, but wish I had. This man seems to be a Thomas Edison of computers. Click and drag, I never even though about it, but use it all the time. To die at age 61 due to cancer is sad, but he did great things in his life.

How many of you people have used click and drag? How many of you use a Macintosh? How many of you have heard of this man? He has done so much to advance computer technology and yet I never heard his name spoken.

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I both knew (of) him and use a Mac.

I think it was realy great of Google to post the link about him. their influence and reach is really a great thing when used. jef.raskincenter.org...]

He was a great man, truly fantastic. Archy should be great.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
He seems to have been a really "radical dude." In the research I did, he comes across as the real genius behind the glitz of Jobs and others at Apple. It doesn't seem like he got the respect he deserved, either.

Raskin's vision: to build an affordable computer designed for nontechy consumers -- a radical idea at a time when using a computer required memorizing complex codes and commands. Raskin's credits include "drag and drop" capability and introducing Apple's founders to much of the work at Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center, which made such innovations as the the mouse and the basic structure for the windows and folders still prevalent on operating systems today. And Raskin bestowed the project with the name Macintosh, after his favorite kind of apple.

BRILLIANT YET UNSUNG. But two years before commercializing the Macintosh, Apple CEO Steve Jobs took over the project, and Raskin left the company. It was a hard time for him and many of those who worked closely with him, Tognazzini says. The product had veered from his vision: For one thing, the $2,495 price tag hardly made it affordable for the mass market at the time. "Mac was his brainchild," Tognazzini says. "The interface in the early days wasn't what ended up shipping, but the philosophy behind it was his."

www.businessweek.com...

[edit on 05/3/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
One thing that is lost in all of this is the fact that the whole GUI interface was invented by the people at XEROX PARC (Palo Alto Research Center) and were laughed at by people in thier corporate headquarters. They gave away the idea for almost nothing.

He was an out of the box thinker much like Burt Rutan. It seems as become more and more risk adverse, these pionners are becoming few and far between

[edit on 3/2/05 by FredT]

new topics

top topics

join