It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Project ATS' Aviation Board will like: The Geman air recovered rocket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 11:45 PM
link   
This board is not really intended to discuss rocket related projects. However, where the rocket turns into an vehicle that has wings or is launched by an aircraft, it seems suitable. The favorite is the TSTO system that launches at Mach 5+ and sends a spaceplane into orbit. Some like to think it's already been built (it hasn't). However, the Germans might just be embarking on an aircraft/rocket combo that is insane enough ATS will like it and will fit the bill for actualy being appropriate for this board:

The German space agency (DLR) is studying the concept over the next three years of launching rockets in a vertical fashion and then catching them or at least the reusable stage with an aircraft and towing it home. The US used to do with canisters of film from satellites, but nothing quite so big as a reusable rocket stage.

It seems to me to be mildly insane. Tanker aircraft have it hard enough. However, the Germans want to actually hookup and then tow the sucker home. I guess they found a use for the A380?

Details here:

spacenews.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 12:04 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 12:37 AM
link   
german source on this: www.dlr.de...#/gallery/33769

It's no the Germans, its an European initiative headed by the DLR and six additional partners.

It wont go anywhere. Too complicated and too late to bother.

originally posted by: anzhaThe favorite is the TSTO system that launches at Mach 5+ and sends a spaceplane into orbit. Some like to think it's already been built (it hasn't).

yeah ... ...

edit on 22-3-2019 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

It is not that crazy. I am just not sure how useful it is. The rocket will have to be a glider and that means it will be capable to land itself. The capturing aircraft will be nothing but a range extender.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I think that the more unreal a proposition seems, the less likely it is to be binned. I cannot see this getting off the drawing board with new technology sitting in the wings, such as the engines being designed by Reaction Engines which will potentially open up the ability for space planes to fly up and down with commercial loads.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 04:28 AM
link   
In Air Capturing Maneuver..Now what could go wrong there...?

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 05:27 AM
link   
So it latches on and tows it to were it can glide into a landing? Sounds overly complicated but guess its necessary because of limited airspace and runways capable of landing the craft. I mean that's the hard part with it gliding it doesn't have the means to slow itself down enough Cause I the shuttle always had back up landing runways across the country.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

If any one can carry out such an audacious maneuver it would be the Germans. Their ingenuity in engineering speaks for itself.

The brain drain from Germany and aging population provides countless opportunities for engineering students from other parts of the world to seek work in Germany

Why is GERMANY such an INDUSTRIAL LEADER? – VisualPolitik EN

GERMANY BENEFITS FROM OTHER COUNTRIES' BRAIN DRAIN

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Can't see Germany having the cash for this project tbh

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
We used to grab some pretty large UAVs (almost said RPV for old time's sake) this way by C-130 and/or helicopter. Helicopter turned out to be safer, ironically, because winching them into the hold was a bit dicey.

I can't see doing this on this scale, to be honest. Not only is there a mass problem, but addressing stability in the transition from suspended by a chute to towed would be non-trivial. But if you only want to recover, say a reusable rocket engine and maybe a oxidizer tank, this would be pretty reasonable.

This is "keep engineers busy" work. Notice it is unsolicited and unfunded. "But if someone were to fund us, we could probably work to mature this technology in the next 8-10 years" .

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Its not a German project. Its a European initiative with seven partners headed by the DLR which happens to be a German agency.

This is throwing it against the wall, hoping to get somewhere with rocket resuability after SpaceX screwed over Ariane launches.
edit on 22-3-2019 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

Oh another EU initiative can't wait till we leave.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight
I thought that Virgin was doing this venture. As for the video of why Germany and Japan are such an industrial leaders is exactly the same as why the USA has such a hold on the world as it is.
It all harks back to the end second world war. Germany and Japan at the end of the war their industrial base was devastated and as a backward reparation their industries were given massive help in building up their industrial base. Simply put their old indusrial technology was wiped off the face of the earth and rebooted with then modern machines.
Now the USA. The USA was the only country on the winning side that was not devastated by bombs or occupation and in consequence it's industrial capacity was never altered, They never had to rebuild their industrial infrastructure so could just carry on producing. But other allied countries HAD to rebuild their industries therefore the early years after the war the USA had the monopoly.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Yes I get that; applicable to reconstruction after the War. What I'm talking about is striving for excellence, constant innovation and efficiencies.

Desma makes the soles and have 90% of the market. Even the Chinese buy off them!

Conversely BMWs are now manufactured in...

wiki

The manufacturing plant in Greer, South Carolina has the highest production volume of the BMW plants worldwide, currently producing approximately 1,900 vehicles per day. The models produced at the Spartanburg plant are the X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 SUV models.

We had a National ( Panasonic ) colour TV that lasted 20 years.

They never had to rebuild their industrial infrastructure so could just carry on producing

Well there was also the cheap imports from Japans 2nd hand market.

I guess it takes guts and rapid response and retooling to remain ahead of the curve.

top topics

join