It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump Signs Executive Order to Defend Free Speech on Campus

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Is it valid? yes its true conservatives have been run off campuses and indeed halted from speaking because it might cause people to be uncomfortable.

Examples?

Are you really suggesting to me that you arent privy in the news over the last few years of speakers being run off campuses?

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
a reply to: xuenchen

This should really set the professional crybabies in motion.
I am dying to see what schools get their grants dropped first.

I wouldn't hold my breath...There are any number of liberal Federal judges chompin' at the bit to declare this EO unconstitutional...

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 11:51 PM
link   

I'm quite aware of what a certain ATS faction has to say about some situations. But I'm talking about facts. Not always the same thing.
freespeechproject.georgetown.domains...

edit on 3/21/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Iscool

There are any number of liberal Federal judges chompin' at the bit to declare this EO unconstitutional...

Since it seems to attempt to circumvent the court in favor of bureaucrats, I would say they have good grounds.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Duderino
Well that's gonna backfire.

This is really only going to affect smaller, private colleges that were out of the spotlight and could actually discriminate until now. Many of those are private Christian schools.

Large state universities were already required to abide by the 1st, so this won't apply to them in any way it does not already.

Now imagine a Muslim protest group deciding to protest on the private grounds of a small Christian college, because they get some federal funding. And they can't kick them off their private property or they lose money. And I can't imagine there are many Muslim colleges in the US that would encounter similar issues. Just one example.

I'm telling you, this is fantastic, but this is not going to accomplish what he thinks it will.

Yea....

Top University funded by the Federal government is the Universities of California.

Berkley abides by the 1st Amendment to you? Here is Berkley allowing a Conservative to speak there...

Then...

Cal Tech
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Michigan-Ann Arbor
Cornell
Washington
Wisconsin-Madison
Purdue
Columbia
M.I.T.
Stanford
Penn State
Harvard

All those private, smaller colleges you are talking about.

I think it's fantastic too!!!

edit on 22-3-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Make sure to read the EO. Though the free speech aspect is laudable, a lot of the EO has to do with student loan debt, educating the student about the benefits and risks of the institution, and ultimately recouping the debt of student loans.

www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I'm quite aware of what a certain ATS faction has to say about some situations. But I'm talking about facts. Not always the same thing.
freespeechproject.georgetown.domains...

Im reading these, but just a side note , I love how they labeled this "Ben Shapiro delivers controversial speech during Black History Month - February 8, 2017" when there wasnt anything controversial about it, rather the speech was empowering black people to remember they can take hold of their own futures.......but thats cute....no bias at all in this website........

I also see its left out his latest just this year being blocked from GCU........

Heres some more that arent listed.........it seems theres a slant to your website this was just 2016

blocked speakers

Some randoms that didnt make that website

This one included Richard Dawkins who they deemed was "Anti Islam" because of his views on religion....not because he was pro atheism mind you, but because it might offend muslims.......

So I wouldnt go just by your website there........youre a smart guy phage, I would trust you wouldnt just trust one website to do all your research for you

Thank you for that tho, im going to bookmark it, ill be interested to see how it tracks and what it tracks as well
edit on 3/22/2019 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 12:30 AM
link   

www.businessinsider.com...

A selection:

The TV host and transgender-rights activist withdrew from a speaking event after students protested, not because of the content of Mock's speech, but because pro-Israel group Hillel cosponsored the lecture.
Self withdrawn. Pull funding!

Critics slammed the conservative writer and claimed his proposed lecture— about microaggressions, Black Lives Matter, and safe spaces — was not a debate but an attack. The university revoked his invitation, later allowing Shapiro to come to the campus after he threatened legal action.
So, why this EO?

The chancellor of Berkeley was scheduled to have a public discussion about the value of higher education, but the event was shut down after by students chanted and shouted over him. The protesters stated that he wasn't doing enough to help black students suffering hardships on campus and that his salary was too high.
Not University action. Students exercising their rights. Badly, but still.

The Cook County, Illinois, state attorney's speech was interrupted and did not continue because of both student and nonstudent protesters.
Ditto.

Students advocating for the Palestinian cause interrupted and shut down the political analyst and human-rights advocate's speech at the college. Eid, who is himself Palestinian, made comments that were seen as pro-Israel.
Ditto.

The school revoked its request for the physician at Massachusetts General Hospital's to give a commencement speech due to students' claims that she could not "directly address student concerns" regarding racial issues and transphobia.
Invited, disinvited. So, rather than risk sanction, don't invite anyone.

The professor who invited The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) columnist revoked his invitation over concerns of a controversy because he had "written about race issues."
Ditto.

Don't see how this EO will improve anything.

Some randoms that didnt make that website
Really? Damn you read fast.

edit on 3/22/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Good for trump,freedom if speech is important for the kids that one day will lead countries. We just lost our right...everywhere.
Back in the old days we had empires,led by emperors,we had kingdoms led by kings...now we have certain countries led by....

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Is it valid? yes its true conservatives have been run off campuses and indeed halted from speaking because it might cause people to be uncomfortable.

Examples?

Are you really suggesting to me that you arent privy in the news over the last few years of speakers being run off campuses?

His memory is disappearing faster than a promise at Democrat rally.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

1. Self withdrawn, no dont pull funding......

2. Yes pull funding if you have to actually threaten legal action to let you speak....

3. yes students protested but it was still up to the campus to shut the event down, now if the speaker decides NOT to come because of that, thats a different story........

4. and 5. again thats a student thing not a college thing......

6. Trans issues, sanctions for what and by whom? theres still recourse there, especially since the speaker was not allowed to clear up any of it by actually speaking.....

7. yes actually I do read fast......you should see my library

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

Examples?

Now now.......

Phage might be cantankerous sometimes, irritable, and even goading and provocative........

But hes a smart guy, we dont often align politically but he does well to poke people into thinking.....hes just the ATS version of "get off my lawn" that everyone tends to be aggravated by rather than actually try and hold a dialog.........
edit on 3/22/2019 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Nice...

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 01:17 AM
link   

My kids know a few phages when it comes to Halloween time. A wise man ,somewhat short on niceity,but has valid opinions and is loves by the community anyway.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: hiddenNZ

My kids know a few phages when it comes to Halloween time. A wise man ,somewhat short on niceity,but has valid opinions and is loves by the community anyway.

yah but they always give the best candy if you come by to sit and have a glass of tea any other time of year

..........er......in a non weird way......

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Examples?

Now now.......

Phage might be cantankerous sometimes, irritable, and even goading and provocative........

But hes a smart guy, we dont often align politically but he does well to poke people into thinking.....hes just the ATS version of "get off my lawn" that everyone tends to be aggravated by rather than actually try and hold a dialog.........

I think he's a treasure for ATS critical thinkers.

You can't sharpen a knife without a stone.

He keeps some of us in check... I know he does for me.

He makes me think harder and makes me check my opinions.

Without people like him, ATS would be just another ~kick the puppy~ blog.

edit on 22-3-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 01:36 AM
link   

And there's always an older gentleman that's helpful in fixing kids bikes in the neighbourhood too. I like our phage,but the I know better and you know jack shet attitude is getting a little...predictable.
Manners are free

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Examples?

Now now.......

I think he's a treasure for ATS critical thinkers.

You can't sharpen a knife without a stone.

He keeps some of us in check... I know he does for me.

He makes me think harder and makes me check my opinions.

Without people like him, ATS would be just another ~kick the puppy~ blog.

Amen sister........i love em!

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: hiddenNZ

And there's always an older gentleman that's helpful in fixing kids bikes in the neighbourhood too. I like our phage,but the I know better and you know jack shet attitude is getting a little...predictable.
Manners are free

Maybe, but I think you reach a certain age, and I feel myself getting there lol, where you have had enough of people and you think "Fk it......Im gonna say what I think, and I dont care"

Maybe im turning into the get off my lawn guy too lol........check me if i become too much of a dck lol

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The executive order signed by the president requires universities to certify that they support free speech on campus in order to receive federal research grants.

Is it only the research grants? Does it affect any of the other money that collages get from the fed?

How many collages get federal research grants?

How much money do they get on average from those grants?

How many schools don't really need the grants and will just drop them over this?

I'm not against it. I just wonder how much bite this eo really has.
edit on 22-3-2019 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join