It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump Signs Executive Order to Defend Free Speech on Campus

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Looks like Trump has in fact made an Executive Order that will punish some colleges for declining free speech on campuses.

The outrage started when some schools were deliberately stopping "Conservative" people from talking in forums.

Now we shall see who doesn't like this.

The penalties for offenders will be financial 😎

Donald Trump Signs Executive Order to Defend Free Speech on Campus

President Donald Trump signed an executive order promoting free speech on university campuses on Wednesday at the White House in front of conservative student activists.

“Today, we are delivering a clear message to the professors and power structures trying to suppress, to keep young Americans and all Americans from challenging ridged far left ideology,” Trump said. “People who are confident in their beliefs cannot censor others.”

The executive order signed by the president requires universities to certify that they support free speech on campus in order to receive federal research grants.

“Taxpayer dollars should not subsidize anti-First amendment institutions, and that’s exactly what they are,” Trump said. “Universities that want taxpayer dollars should promote free speech, not silence free speech.”
😎

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Ben Shapiro is going to be tickled by this...

And he's not a fan of Trump.

To the OP, it may be a good first step towards turning our "centers of higher learning" away from just being Progressive indoctrination camps.

Good job, Mr President... let's keep this MAGA thing rolling.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   
All in all, that's a pretty excellent move from the President.

A clap for once

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

This should really set the professional crybabies in motion.
I am dying to see what schools get their grants dropped first.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   
If as an institution you get money from the federal government , you should have to adhere to the constitution......

Period.....

I have to admit, I love watching "change my mind" to see how people react when he goes on campuses, people tend to lose their crap, and are all about rights unless they dont agree with them.......

They tend to get hostile when confronted with facts......or they just double down on their ignorance

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Or better yet, maybe we will see a whole slew of deranged, far Left “Professors” resign because of this.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   

“People who are confident in their beliefs cannot censor others.”

I wish a liberal could explain this to me. If they are so righteously correct then what do they have to fear from opposing viewpoints?

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Since Congress is always paralyzed, arguing, running for re-election, or on vacation (like now), the President is making America Greater by PROPER USE of his mighty pen.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

“People who are confident in their beliefs cannot censor others.”

I wish a liberal could explain this to me. If they are so righteously correct then what do they have to fear from opposing viewpoints?

They fear "Exposure" 😎

link   

Now, we will see this go to the test in the first opportunity of a conservative speaker invited by a campus political group to speak. I do wonder how those reviewing the university action will decide if the Constitution was upheld.

Is it enough to:
Have university political sensitivity courses required for all staff and the entire student body?
Have security staff deployed for ALL speakers at all venues?
Abolishment of "free speech zones" on campus?

We will see I guess.

link   
"People who are confident in their beliefs cannot censor others."

Says everything you need to know about how the leftist mind works.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Well that's gonna backfire.

This is really only going to affect smaller, private colleges that were out of the spotlight and could actually discriminate until now. Many of those are private Christian schools.

Large state universities were already required to abide by the 1st, so this won't apply to them in any way it does not already.

Now imagine a Muslim protest group deciding to protest on the private grounds of a small Christian college, because they get some federal funding. And they can't kick them off their private property or they lose money. And I can't imagine there are many Muslim colleges in the US that would encounter similar issues. Just one example.

I'm telling you, this is fantastic, but this is not going to accomplish what he thinks it will.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   

The executive order signed by the president requires universities to certify that they support free speech on campus in order to receive federal research grants

Easy peasy.

Next?

edit on 3/21/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   

They fear "Exposure"

Or they know if they do not control the narrative very few will buy into their B.S.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Duderino
Well that's gonna backfire.

This is really only going to affect smaller, private colleges that were out of the spotlight and could actually discriminate until now. Many of those are private Christian schools.

Large state universities were already required to abide by the 1st, so this won't apply to them in any way it does not already.

Now imagine a Muslim protest group deciding to protest on the private grounds of a small Christian college, because they get some federal funding. And they can't kick them off their private property or they lose money. And I can't imagine there are many Muslim colleges in the US that would encounter similar issues. Just one example.

I'm telling you, this is fantastic, but this is not going to accomplish what he thinks it will.

FYI, it applies to PUBLIC institutions. As for private ones, only if they accept federal funding in some form.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

As for private ones, only if they accept federal funding in some form.

Research grants. Like for medical research and stuff.

Good plan. Take that away. That'll teach 'em.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

As for private ones, only if they accept federal funding in some form.

Research grants. Like for medical research and stuff.

Good plan. Take that away.

Only if they do not make an effort to protect free speech for all. If they show favoritism for one political perspective over another, and make a concerted effort to suppress that viewpoint on campus, why should they be allowed to accept my tax $$$ ??

Yes, great plan, glad you see it that way.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   

It's stupid. As usual. And will be challenged, as usual.

But all a school has to do is say "We support free speech."

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

It's stupid. As usual. And will be challenged, as usual.

Correction, YOU think it's stupid. As for your opinion on the matter, it is irrelevant...sorry to say that.
Do you need a tissue now?

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Correction, YOU think it's stupid.

It's stupid to think that I have to say that I think it's stupid.

Do you need a tissue now?
No. Do you? Too bad, you won't get one from me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join