It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Division 2 - A quick review After 8 hours of play

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I really enjoyed the original - even with all its bugs and headaches at release.
When I got back to town on Monday night I headed straight to EB Games and picked up my copy of the Division 2.

I remember with the original, I was instantly hooked.
The game was hyped up before the Xbox one was even released. But like the vast majority of games these days, there were issues. But if you could look beyond them, you had yourself one hell of a Looter and Shooter.
The story and premise was awesome, a virus released in New York on Black Friday, the busiest day of the year for shopping.
Anyone who wasn’t immune or took precautions- died.

Enter The Division 2.
We pick up 7 months later, but this time in Washington.
The city is over grown with vegetation.
Wild animals roam the streets.
There are various pockets of survivors and communities around the city.

But there’s also death.
Rouge gangs also prowl about, looting and killing anything in their path.
And generally being mean to anyone who crosses their path.

Sounds awesome right?

Well to be honest I have 8 hours into the game and Im still Waiting to get hit with that hook I got with the first Division, literally minutes after logging in for the first time.

You play the role of an agent, tasked by various settlements around the city to carry out tasks to benefit them as a whole. Often rewarding you with a piece of armour or a weapon that you will immediately break down or sell.

There have been a few moments where I thought, okay this is getting cool now,
but that’s quickly extinguished by the in game controls of the cover to cover system.
Often resulting in a character jumping back and forth and rolling around in a corner.
Mercilessly being hammered on by bullets from 10 enemies.

I know I’m pnly 8 hours in out of a game with 30+ hours of main missions before end game activities.

Some of the vistas are pretty neat looking.
The graphics are on par with most games.
There is a night and day rotation.
However at night, it’s dark ... really dark.
This has pros and cons.
Prowling around in the darkness is fun.
Often you can sneak by any unwanted conflict.
But keep a wide berth, the AI will sense you long before you realize your being targeted.

The upgrading system for attachments and armour is different than the first.
Which both has its pros and cons as well.
It’s more streamlined to say the least.

Now you may be asking yourself, Do I need this game?
And I will answer that by saying, if you enjoyed the first Division, and want more of that more modern day loot and shoot, then ya your going to enjoy the game.
Is it flawless ?
No...not by a long shot. But still enjoyable.

I’m playing on an Xbox One X. Supposedly the most powerful gaming console made to date.
And I still get frame rate issues.
When I have 10 or 12 idiots pounding me with bullets from all directions, my frames start to take a hit.

Could the graphics be better?
Hell yes they could be. But they are still pretty good.

The map is huge, the locations are interesting, there’s usually lots of cover.
But the AI is smart, they will flank you and pin you down while one scum bag with a Baton sneaks up behind you and your done for.

I’m still really early in the game, so I haven’t been in the dark zone yet.

But overall, I’d say if you enjoy the genre, give the game a go.
You can play with up to 4 friends for all in game missions.
And that coop factor Really helps a lot.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
How can you not be addicted to this game yet, its amazing.

Quite possibly the best looter-shooter I have ever played.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Thanks for the honest review!

I played the first Division and loved it, especially the survival mode (I think we've spoken about this).

I now have the one x and a 4k TV (per some of your advice, and mostly my impulse lol).

I'm torn on this one, but will likely get it. I played the private BETA and didn't get hooked, but that may be in part due to the timing of Apex coming out around the same time.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I hardly game at all but was hooked with the Division back when it first came out. When I saw division 2 was out I went and bought a PS4 Pro and this game. I’m hooked again.

Though the story isn’t as good as the first one, the graphics, gameplay, looting, enemies and missions are far superior. Killing enemies is very satisfying. The map is huge. The modding and crafting systems are more complex. The dark zone isn’t as difficult, more rewarding, and (as an all round noob gamer) more fun.

It helps to have a squad of buddies.

Thanks for the review. I hope you get as much sasisfaction from it as I have.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Great game so far and I don't even like loot shooters. I got the game for free when I got my new graphics card

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Thanks for the review. I've was debating if I should buy this game or not. I did not play the first Division so don't really have a reference for the game. The reviews from gaming sites seem to be mixed which is why I have been hesitant to pull the trigger.

I've been playing assassins creed origins for like 150 hours so time to move on to something else now, preferably a shooter.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Played the first one on my own a few months after it came out, didn't really bother with the dark zone part of the game beyond a few flutters, I enjoyed that one though I do think it had some issues (bullet sponge being the main one) and now enjoying the second but this time playing a few hours a day with my brother, it seems to be a lot more fun when not played on your own although I will no doubt replay it on my own at some point.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Ya bullet sponge was a huge issue with the first Division.
I haven’t run into anything as bad as that yet.
I’ve hit level 11 now and finally got a good build for my character.
The game is starting to grow on me for sure.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Dude chem heal launcher and turret are your friend....

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I’ve been using the turret and the chem launcher for smoking out the scum bags when they are behind cover.
Haven’t upgraded anything yet

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I think I'm going to buckle and buy it when I get home.

I have been longing for a game with some good progression, and as much as I loved the first I don't see why I've been putting this off...

I'm getting rather excited.

posted on Mar, 22 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Clear the story and then it becomes really interesting.

***Minor Spoiler.***

Not only do you get to specialize but all of the static sites come to life with inter gang warfare. Defend and retake the ones you have lost, new enemies and missions to tackle as you progress to higher tiers.

side note- 1 and 2 man teams can run through things easily, 4 man teams make everything bullet sponge.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I did the same thing with Red Dead 2.
Waited until the new year to buy it.
Boy was I kicking myself in the ass. That is the best game I’ve played in a very, very long time

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   
One gripe I’ve got so far - and it’s weird to say.
But I find that too much loot drops.
Before I can even get accustomed to my guns, A stronger variant drops and I find myself stripping the mods and planting them in the new gun.

Same with armour items.
Too much.
After every couple of missions, I’m back at the White House selling all my extra gear.
No point in breaking them down right now. It says I’m maxed on the crafting items.
Perhaps I should be saving these for end game crafting?

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I'm level ten now.... I love it.

The too many drops will exponentially slow down once you get to end game build.

The green phase will be a lot.

Blue not as much.

Purple a lot less.

Gold then green should be slow.

I love the visuals of this game though. Truly gorgeous.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Checking in again.... I'm about a level 15 though I could probably be to end game by now.

I've been taking my time to get to know the game before I get to the point where I have a gear score and get paired up with people who are better than me in the dark zone... That said, here I my notes.

The visuals are really growing on me, at first I was a little sad because I liked the almost noir vibe from the first... But then I thought about it, and as many times I've seen big title game release a glorified reskin and call it a new game, I'm glad they tried something different, and succeeded.

The dark zone- Love how they re-balanced it from protecting the entrances (which will melt you if you're rouge), to buffing everyone to put them on an equal playing field.

The missions- Still a little early for me to tell, but they don't have the same feeling as the first game did. Maybe they're missing some of the substance, maybe I just expected on having that feeling of something truly new from the first game, and well, how are they supposed to one up that.

Gun play- One of the best I've felt in a game in some time, it's smooth and I can really pull off some satisfying shots. The first one felt like I was running around with a gun hose, this one feels more controlled and predictable.

All around- Happily surprised. In a day and age where disappointment is expected with a game, I'm set back with how well they did with this one. I'd easily give it a 9/10. By the time we all have our fill in all the different areas, I expect they'll come out with expansions... I just hope survival will be one of them, and in the BR craze we see today, I don't see any reason why they wouldnt.

Edit: the only real gripe I have is the spamming of notifications in all the menus.
edit on 28-3-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I bought it last night. Only played like five minutes or so of the game and it seems pretty good. Decent gun play. My only complaint is that the gun reticle and firing fields seem really small. Also, trying to learn all the controls, mods, etc seem a bit overwhelming but sure I will figure it out soon or later.

The game kind of feels like gears of war to me with extra stuff...

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Leveling 1-10 is a glorified tutorial... The satisfaction level is going to be a bit low through here while you're calibrating.

Once you get a good feel for the game, I think it plays really well. The gear can be a lot to keep up with, but in the grey, green, and blue phase you don't have to worry to much as those items are plentiful and will be replaced with higher level rather quickly.

You don't really need to start dialing in until you get to level 30.

Don't be afraid to play around in the beginning phases.

Also if you have any question just respond to one of us in the thread, I check my responses in my inbox and rarely would take more than a day to get back to you.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Played a bit more last night. Really fun. Still kind of learning how everything works, but the gun play is definitely satisfying.

I know I am an old head, but the controls still seem a bit complicated. Havent' quite figured out how to quickly throw a grenade or the muscle memory isn't there yet.

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Confession....I have now killed many dogs

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join