It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit: Revoke Article 50 petition crashes Parliament website

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
So every day I feel like Brexit offers up some new crazy twist and today has been no different and its just gone lunch time. So a petition to revoke article 50 has been started and its been so popular that in less than 12 hours it had half a million signatures, not only that but so many people have been visiting the site that its actually caused the official government petition site to crash.

The government’s petition website crashed after three quarters of a million people urged the government to revoke Article 50 and remain in the European Union amid continuing Brexit turmoil.

The site experienced outages on Thursday as hundreds of thousands of people offered their support to the petition after Theresa May was forced to beg Brussels for a delay to Britain’s exit from the bloc.

Link

It's crazy, full disclosure I signed it, when I did it was at about 700,000 I went away to the gym and no joke, in probably two hours at the most its knocking on the door of a million signatures. There are hundreds of thousands of people across the UK signing this thing on mass. Its already the third most signed petition since the site when live.
edit on 21-3-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

In the 2016 referendum, 22 million voted to remain.

That petition has a long way to go.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

In the 2016 referendum, 22 million voted to remain.

That petition has a long way to go.

No thats factually incorrect..

17,410,742 voted to leave or about 51% of the vote

16,141,241 voted to remain or about 48% of the vote.

So if your statement that 22 million voted to remain was accurate then we would be remaining in the EU...be honest did you pull that number from your arse?

Sure it has a long way to go but the truth is that it was always a very close call in any case, we are being dragged out because about 3% of the population wanted to leave despite all of Scotland and Ireland along with London, Manchester, Cardif, Liverpool and so the list goes all voted to remain.

This petition is helping to debunk this myth that the people of the UK want to leave the EU.

We deserve and it looks like we are demanding a significant change.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

For the americans you should maybe explain what article 50 is and break this down. Ive tried searching and cant make sense of what article 50 is other than a notice and that it allows you to leave eu without notice.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

For the americans you should maybe explain what article 50 is and break this down. Ive tried searching and cant make sense of what article 50 is other than a notice and that it allows you to leave eu without notice.

Its basically the bit of paper that says we are leaving the EU, the government have the power to revoke it, to say "sorry lad but we don't want leave, we are going to revoke our article 50 notice lets all be friends again"

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Do petitions in the UK typically overturn referendums?
Wasn't this voted down in your parliament last week?
From the outside this is very confusing.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I wonder how it would do if you allowed YES NO signatures. This way...you only get one side of the argument.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Do petitions in the UK typically overturn referendums?

Nope, we dont actually have much of a history with referendums but in general the way it works with the petitions is that they are to force the government to respond or debate a given topic. So at if I started a petition to make Jedi the official religion of the UK at 10,000 they would respond at 100,000 it would be considered for debate in parliament. Petitions like this don't hold any real power but they do indicate the feeling in the country.

Wasn't this voted down in your parliament last week?

I could be wrong (because there have been so many votes) but I do not believe that a vote to revoke article 50 has been tabled in the house.

From the outside this is very confusing.

dude its confusing from the inside only with squeaky bum holes

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Its basically the bit of paper that says we are leaving the EU, the government have the power to revoke it, to say "sorry lad but we don't want leave, we are going to revoke our article 50 notice lets all be friends again"

and what about those 51 % that voted to leave ? to hell with them ?

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

and what about those 51 % that voted to leave ? to hell with them ?

No not at all, I think its one of the best grounds for a second referendum, 3% isn't a particularly large majority. I think we are heading towards a very hard Brexit and that is not what over 16 million voted for am pretty sure that of the 17 million who voted to leave quite a few of them may now have changed their minds.

This is the problem its so divisive, if there was a clear 10% or so who wanted to leave then I think it would be different, which is also why I personally think the vote should have been by super-majority. The country is split pretty much right down the middle on this and its going to cause a lot of hurt if we leave.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

From the inside it's just as confusing!

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   
In the 40 minutes since I wrote this thread its gained about 70 000 sigs!

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I think we are heading towards a very hard Brexit and that is not what over 16 million voted for

I didn't vote for any deal and nor did anyone I know. We voted to leave the EU. There wasn't much talk at the forefront of any Leave conversations about a deal before the vote. We didn't expect the EU to play nice.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   

This is the problem its so divisive, if there was a clear 10% or so who wanted to leave then I think it would be different, which is also why I personally think the vote should have been by super-majority. The country is split pretty much right down the middle on this and its going to cause a lot of hurt if we leave.

I agree...I higher percentage should be mandatory to win the vote. But...one wonders if there could ever bu such a margin over the issue at hand.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I think a huge part of the problem is the EU making it as difficult as possible to leave. If the EU was a girlfriend, you'd have called the police long before now. Breaking up was never meant to be this hard.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

It could have been resolved if they had done what they done before in the first referendum for Scottish devolution whereby to win a yes or in this case to leave you would have to have 60% of the vote. Interestingly there was a petition at the time for something like this (can't recall exact details) which holds the record for the most number of sigs at something like 4 million.

+2 more 
link   
So the people who lost the vote are now trying to turn their country into a...what, fascist state where democracy dies? Since it’s for a good cause, so I guess a little fascism never hurt anyone. Heil remain!!

link   

Thanks for the info!
It is appreciated as the issue is not covered much here, and what is covered does not make much sense.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: D4rk5t4lk3r

From the inside it's just as confusing!

Thanks
That stinks!

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rewey

I think a huge part of the problem is the EU making it as difficult as possible to leave. If the EU was a girlfriend, you'd have called the police long before now. Breaking up was never meant to be this hard.

But...they have to make it difficult.

If they made this easy next week Spain would be looking to vote to leave.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join