It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philadelphia - a city on the rise - is that because it can't get any lower?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The title isn't fair to ALL of Philly there are a few nice spots but there has been a steady decline from what I have seen over the last 20 years and it has gotten REALLY bad in many areas.

I came across this video and found much of what the person says on it to be a pretty accurate description of the state of west Philly (physical, economic, political, social, infrastructure, etc) though he may go a little overboard in his description of the residents (though he may have good reason for what he says, so I'm not judging) he was spot on in his description of driving through W philly looking like a moonscape. I think a more accurate description would be a war zone as many blocks look similar to what we have recently seen in Iraq, Syria and Afghnaistan in the bombed out areas.

About a year or 2 ago I was on the roads this guy is talking about and came across a pothole that would have swallowed a 1/4 of my car. It was about 20" deep, 3ft wide and 4-6ft long. It had steep sides, which had been undermined on the sides, so even driving within a foot of the hole might have resulted in ending up in the crater. I think one could be forgiven for thinking a landmine had gone off at that location. The sad part is that there are many such holes like this in the city, I always thought it was hyperbole and exaggeration when people would mention potholes that could swallow a car, but alas, as with most things, with age comes experience.

On the appropriately named "Lincoln Highway" *US RT 30", there is block after block of lots where 1/2 a block of houses have been demolished and the remains left in a pile - all part of Obama's "Promise sector" - He promised to finish the demolition and they are still waiting. The lots look like uncovered landfills because residents have used them as dumping grounds just like they do on the street. Block after block you see these barren lots of trash and garbage. There are signs that look 10 years old with contact information for sale of the lot. I'm guessing there have been few takers on building in this area.

The media and politicians have been largely quiet on the race war being waged against Asians in the city of brotherly love. Ironically, it's "the brothers" who are almost exclusively the perpetrators of the crimes against asians in this area with stores being robbed (often ending up in murdering the shop keeper), robbing business owners after hours when they are going to the bank or just leaving their shop and a very high rate of assault & battery's on asian students by the same "group" of people. But to even mention the fact that one group is targeting Asians gets the person labeled a racist or bigot. The city has gone so far into this insanity, that they have designated "bulletproof" glass (the barrier at banks & stores) to be RACIST! Yes, that's right, that darn polycarbonate has picked up that bad habit of profiling an entire race of people soley based upon their skin, not that they commit the vast majority of violent crimes and are the ones most likely to destroy the barrier.

The city council (all democrat) voted 14-3 to remove these saftey barriers in some areas because it makes the residents "feel bad". These barriers will be removed from stores like the popular corner stores that sell food and alcohol (the stores most often robbed & the ones owned by a lot of asians..) The result can only be more murders of the shopkeepers unless the city has some kind of awakening and the criminals decide to hand over their guns. I can't believe I'm seeing actions like this in the US.

Articles on the removal of saftey glass

www.foxnews.com...

www.foxnews.com...

I'd like to know if they would do this to banks? Oh, that's right, no bank in their right mind would put a location in these areas. They complain that they have no access to banks but what would happen if they did?

For those who are going to blame crime on poverty, there are some areas of Philly that are just as poor as W Philly that don't have the same kind of violence but there is a different demographic (it's more "mixed"). IDK if having a more even distribution of race reduces crime but it does seem like it has that effect, IDK which is the cause/effect. There is one thing that is certain, reducing the options for citizens to protect themselves in one of the most dangerous cities in the world is one of the most insane things I've ever heard and you can thank the council for sticking up for their own race and defending the violent criminals and making them out to be victims.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I am gonna go out on a limb here, and say the guy that made that video really don't like Democrats very much.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Things should be looking up since the Mayor won sanctuary city status and ditched ICE? /sarcasm Those of us who live in the Western part of the state stay the hell away from the eastern part. Different world. Kind of like NYC is to the state of NY.

]]

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Wow, I'm guessing he might end up in the same place as many of his party members - Allenwood.

You are 100% right on the western part of the state. I was out there in the city (Pittsburgh) a few times about 15+ years ago and I was amazed at how nice it was. I was in the financial district much of the time & at Heinz field, but I drove through a bunch of the neighborhoods and it was completely different than Philly.

I have to think that a lot of that has to do with the wealth that was in Pittsburg from US Steel (and other metal companies) and that still has it's influence to this day. I can't think of many industries in Philly to be honest. It has the port and some refineries, but INSIDE the city, I think of Comcast. There is A LOT in the surrounding areas, pharmaceutical, finance, defense. I'm probably missing some, but I've always wondered what work there was INSIDE the city as I didn't know of industry like Detroit or Pitt.

I wonder if that has a lot to do with the economic situation or if it is more mentality of the residents.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I am gonna go out on a limb here, and say the guy that made that video really don't like Democrats very much.

LOL
- you think? If he lives there or commutes, I can totally understand where he is coming from. The major freeway (76) running north out of the city is an absolute nightmare much of the time. It would probably test even the most hardcore LA drivers who have dealt with riots, fires, mudslides, etc. I've seen 5 hour delays heading N/S in/out of the city.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I don't live there, and Agree with him.

It's not just West PA.

That same story is repeated across America.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Pittsburg is starting to fall too. Mayor there is trying to install a gun ban and people are pissed. Not sure about whether or not they are a sanctuary city as of yet, but they certainly are bringing in quite a few so called refugees in and around certain burbs.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Philthadelphia = Mos Eisley.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Philthadelphia = Mos Eisley.

Haha, I think they had a time machine and went 100 years into the future to get that footage of W Philly! I think I saw some of the things that will mutate into the bar room characters walking along the street and sitting on the stoops.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Up until this past August I literally worked 20 feet from Center City Philadelphia for 7 years.
I also lived in South Philly for 18 years.

I can tell you that your opinion on 76-476-676 is just that , an opinion.

I currently work remotely for a company in California near LA and can tell you that driving out there is about 5 billion times worse then taking 76 to KoP at rush hour. Going from Irvine to LA which should be less then a 1 hour drive can easily be 2.5 hours depending on the time of day you leave.

Like any major city Philly has bad parts and good parts..Areas of West Philly , I say areas because you have University City in there, are dangerous.

Kensington in Northern Philly is the most infamous from a danger perspective.
Again that is no different then any other major city..Amazing and bad parts.

For all the horrible pot holes you have the amazing foods of Reading Terminal Market.

Again, Philly is just like any other big city that way.

new topics

top topics

join