It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Purchasing an Affordable Synth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Hey Members!

My budget is less than $1000, I'd prefer to spend between $500-$750. I don't have a lot of experience with different synths, having done most of my banging on an analog piano, organ, and basic MIDI keyboard. I want something with full-size keys that approximate the feel of a "real" piano. Originally I was considering just getting another MIDI keyboard to replace the Edirol that i no longer have (several keys stopped working), but like the idea of getting a synth that could also be used as a MIDI keyboard. I know that 25 keys is not enough for me, but I don't necessarily need 88- somewhere in-between would be fine.I don't really need a full workstation, just something that feels good to play and sounds great with a lot of creative potential.

There are several brands and models available for purchase in my price range, I'm hesitant to purchase a used one- I want something that hasn't been abused or has an issue that might not crop up until shortly after purchasing. I'm not in a band, can't play very well, this is mostly something I will use for fun, exploration, artistic expression and to keep my fingers active and strong (I've had finger surgery and was paralyzed).

Roland, Korg, Arturia, Yamaha, and Behringer all have products that look like they would fit my needs. Do any of you have any experience with these companies? I understand that the sounds that different models produce will vary and that liking one over another is subjective. I'm particularly interested in quality of manufacturing and parts, keyboard feel, durability, and warranty. Any suggestions for a particular model would be appreciated, too. Three of the synths that I'm so far considering are the Roland Juno or Gaia, or Korg Kross. Unfortunately I haven't been able to actually try any of these particular synths, I'm basing my choices on the fact that they all have full-size keys, fit my budget, have positive reviews and product demonstration videos.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'd recommend a rolland 2k but you will need to shop it and look in some boutique shops to find a good condition used one. That's what I got for ya...and I have seen them go for around 1000-1200$.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I have a Yamaha psr730 and psr-530, plus I use an Akai z8 sampler. You can pick up all that for around $1200, I got the 530 for free. So not a true synth like a Moog or some of the korgs, but they work together well off my studio computers along with an opcode studio 128x midi controller. I am hooked up to alesis, Yamaha and roland rack synths and electrix vocoder, mofx and filter factory.

Eta: if you're handy with electronics, soldering, making pc boards, etc, Elektor magazine had some really great articles on diy, build your own synths. They were top shelf units comparable to a Moog. If you couple those with a midi arranger keyboard you would have a real beast.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/20.2019 by bobs_uruncle because: Eta

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I have no idea what they cost or even if it is what you are looking for but my favourite band (Ozric Tentacles) uses Novation Supernova keyboards. They sound out of this world.

Disclosure: I am not a musician and know very little about synths or music production.

ETA Link
edit on 20/3/19 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I tried the gaia and nothing special about it

www.gearslutz.com...

Yes if you want a sh#tty keyboard that sounds bad but has a ton of sliders in that price range then the GAIA is the only one it its class

I know its about double your budget but the sounds are very nice bordering on "analog".
Roland System-8 Poly Synth

Or you might want to consider a 2nd hand Korg M50 - large screen for editing great sounds.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I realize the price is not in your range, but if you could somehow come up with approximately $1500, I highly recommend a Korg Krome.

I have one and it's amazing what you can do with it.

I bought mine from American Musical Supply. They offer a zero interest payment plan.

I also have the 88 key Krome. I will say it again, this thing is amazing. Buy a sustain pedal to go with it. They are very reasonable . The sustain pedal makes a huge difference, especially if you play the piano programs.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Ive had a Roland JX-3P midi synth and add-on sound mixer since the 80's...way ahead of and still w the times...a vintage one would suit you at that price...and super reliable

At least pull it up in a search! Get the Programmer-200 w it to edit in the studio or on stage, sequencer, midi, split keyboard....everything you most likely want.

Ive got Korgs, Yamahas and a few others....this one I midi strings into w grand piano, or play Hammond organ type sounds on and thru it.

Good Luck

edit on 20-3-2019 by mysterioustranger because: ETA

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 10:15 PM
link   
If you type in to your search engine... Dj equipment payment plans, you may be able to afford something a little more expensive, or atleast split your payments up. I've got way too much gear from there.

top topics

join