It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beto O’Rourke: ‘A Lot of Wisdom’ in Abolishing Electoral College

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Between "WalkAway" and Blexit, the democrat party is hemorrhaging.

They can only get votes with illegals, teens.

That's why they hate the idea of the Electoral College. Because it is fair.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Psst.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

They don't want "fair".

The want control.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

and thus is discouraging people from voting. I'm arguing against it because it's a bad system which suppresses many voters on both sides,

Bull Pockey... I have voted every year I was legally able even after learning that my absentee votes were tossed out do to a technicality (voting from over seas), chosing not to vote is not voter supression.

What a variety of different groups went through in the past, where laws kept them from voting or there were people there that physically kept them from voting.

People chosing to not vote is laziness or ignorance not suppresion,.

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

and thus is discouraging people from voting. I'm arguing against it because it's a bad system which suppresses many voters on both sides,

Bull Pockey... I have voted every year I was legally able even after learning that my absentee votes were tossed out do to a technicality (voting from over seas), chosing not to vote is not voter supression.

What a variety of different groups went through in the past, where laws kept them from voting or there were people there that physically kept them from voting.

You completely missed the point. Many votes are MEANINGLESS. Why vote conservative today if you live in California? Why even vote? With a popular vote, there is actually a reason for those people to vote because it actually counts toward the total. With EC, it's pointless. EC is also bad for 3rd party candidates.

edit on 3 25 19 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

originally posted by: Irishhaf

You completely missed the point. Many votes are MEANINGLESS. Why vote conservative today if you live in California? Why even vote? With a popular vote, there is actually a reason for those people to vote because it actually counts toward the total. With EC, it's pointless. EC is also bad for 3rd party candidates.

Either way, many votes will be meaningless, in any given single election. There is no way around that fact.

The current system works exactly the way it was designed to, and it is the best way to ensure that every state has a voice, IMO.

States rights were a major area of importance then, as it still is today.
edit on 3252019 by Mach2 because: Add

posted on Mar, 25 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

You completely missed the point. Many votes are MEANINGLESS. Why vote conservative today if you live in California? Why even vote? With a popular vote, there is actually a reason for those people to vote because it actually counts. With EC, they don't.

The problem is I think you put too much value on the desire for a popular vote. Why can't they vote their Representatives in and take the 55 votes, same thing... The Conservative vote in CA matters very little outside a few districts already, so for some reason their vote is extremely important to you when they get skewed anyways by millions of extra liberal votes. Just sounds like you are trying to create an argument where it is moot anyway you look at it just to bypass the equality of the states in the Presidential election.

edit on 25-3-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join