It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If WHITE PEOPLE want to play a Digeradoo its RACIST!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

So was this thread sarcasm, a troll or serious. I really am not sure lol.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I notice the cultural appropriation a lot in modern battle rap

a lot of black MC's will say to other MC's who are white that they are culture vultures or stealing their culture !
that battle rap was invented by black males and its their culture an no one elses!

however one researcher has shown that battle rap and the act of publicly defaming others ties back to the Scottish cultural practice of Flyting
Which was essentially two poets/writers publicly lambasting and defaming each other in public, they would recite their prose often which was lewd and vulgar

one particularly memorable case of Flyting, was the flyting of dunbar and kennedie
the flyting of dunbar and kennedie

Professor Ferenc Sanz's theory states that battle rap emerged in the new world as a result of Scottish Flyting
battle rap / flyting

He said: "The Scots have a lengthy tradition of flyting - intense verbal jousting, often laced with vulgarity, that is similar to the dozens that one finds among contemporary inner-city African-American youth. "Both cultures accord high marks to satire. The skilled use of satire takes this verbal jousting to its ultimate level - one step short of a fist fight."

In any case , as Ive said, we all stand on the shoulders of giants and no one should really get their selves too upset by "cultural appropriation" unless its done out of disrespect or through hate !

culture is meant to be shared, its how we get over the small differences in our genetic phenotypes and learn to appreciate one another as humans as one family

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   
and here we have dizaster , one of the greatest MC battle rappers in the world, highest viewed battle rapper etc

and he is calling out james corden for hosting a show and having a battle rap section!

he calls him a cultural appropriator!

I dont agree with a lot of things dizaster does because he is an ego centric asshole but I think he is right here, because essentially this happened to the entire hiphop community the corporate world stole from the culture, cashed in on everyones ideas and then dropped it when the next best thing came along

his definition is someone from outside of the culture , coming into it, not knowing anything , making money and getting fame
ignorant of the people who built the culture!

In this sense I would also consider the corporate marketing world as culturally appropriating many things

such as graffiti art / street art

and possibly even when breaking enters into the olympics it could happen as well

edit on 20-3-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
and akala on cultural appropriation

the crux of the issue is , acknowledgement of the origins , respect the foundations of the culture

this is what is taught in hiphop and for example graffiti and breakin
I learned about the roots of breakin and its history before I even learned to do a six step and a freeze
I read about the history of graffiti before I even sprayed a wall!

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
At the same time whilst I agree with what Akala is saying , in that we should acknowledge the culture and its history
but to say that its specifically black culture , just because it was by the majority done by black people would also play into the hands of racism
because surely its all just classed as human culture
no skin colour involved

like when neil degrass tyson is asked what his racial background is , its the human race , and for your next question ?

with the discussion on beibers dreadlocks and the skinny hippy dude in uni defending his dreads

that white people cant wear dreads because they don't suffer the same stigma that black people do when they wear them
this I understand , that there are racists who stigmatise and discriminate specific cultural practices that are common among ethnic groups of Africa , the Caribbean etc and that is wrong , and yes I can see why that could be disrespectful to others because its unfair to be treated differently just because the way you express your self through clothing or hairstyles.
but even worse we are treated differently because of melanin concentration !

I think the whole issues is silly !

especially with the idea of "black music " or "white music" its human music
acknowledge the origins of it sure , but why put ownership on it as specifically black or white , when its human !
even with saying African culture, African culture is so diverse and changes from the African continent from north to south
so even when people say African culture , oh which part there are 54 countries?, which ethnic group as there are over 3000?
, how many languages 6,500?
if we are to adhere to science then all human life sprang from the cradle of Africa, so essentially its all black culture but its all human culture
it all came from homo sapiens

in this video the girl says "black struggle and black creativity " isn't that just human struggle and human creativity ?

Always the media and those on the media are the ones putting in divisions

For anyone who supports unity , there should be no division in terms of using culture its origins should be respected
and celebrated, but there should be no racial branding !

Culture is separate from government systems, its those systems that take and suppress and divide

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
If WHITE PEOPLE want to play a Digeradoo its RACIST!

Will this put an end to white rappers.

If so.

I'd support it.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

hell no!

white rappers are on a production line especially since mumble rap became a thing !

there is no end to middle class white kids whose parents paved their way to musical mediocrity
rapping about their xanax addiction and how its tough in america to come from the middle class and go to a therapist
and not have enough spare cash left over from paying your road tax on their new car they got at 16
the struggle is real and everyone needs to hear about it , one mumble at a time !

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Music transcends race or creed.

I invented the watchamezoomajic but I wouldn't be offended if a Japanese tourist wanted to learn my instrument, go right ahead, music is one of the few things that unites us, for instance all the world United against that bloody frog with its ding ding dah dah crap.

How is learning learning to play a instrument from another culture a bad thing?

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

So the first video: Dreds:
I heard about that video floating around a few days ago. Thing is, many people can have dreds by simply never combing their hair. I should know; but I usually cut the tight tangles out with scissors.
So, dreds are natural, not cultural. It's like "hey, who invented beards?"

Second video: Someone appropriated Chomsky clips to make a point which he wasn't making in the original talk.

As for musical instruments: I've only played trumpet for 14 years without being any good. There are enough good players so I quit. The trumpet actually evolved over a long period of time, pretty hard to pin it down to any one culture.

The English I speak evolved; one tribe's speech merged with another and another and synthesized, then borrowed from Romance languages, Latin, French, Spanish; then modernized, formalized, standardized; then when new things and technologies were invented and emerged, some actual original English words were coined. Those original English words were then adopted without translation into other languages. That's how people are too.

Things I don't do: I don't ever put on a dobok and black belt because I never earned it.
The things I don't do is a pretty long list actually. There's being yourself and then there is appreciating others.

I was at a nude beech once, appreciating.
Then I was naked
not much reciprocated appreciation
but I didn't get beat up.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Cheers - Dave

I hope it was a troll. Had me laughing my ass off watching some of the responses who thought it was serious. : )

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001
a reply to: Plotus

Exactly, I was taught by aboriginals. Where does the Op get his experience from. I can even tell you where the first didges came from. Can the Op?

bally

Same as my brother, we're 'white' and some indigenous folks happily taught him how to play.

I'm guessing those outraged are only the usual overly vocal minority.
You know the same few who cry about Australia day and other things the majority of Aboriginal people I meet are fine with.

Recently went for a trip to Melbourne. Spent a week there, went to the City every day. Millions of people from all walks of life.
Not once did I see any of this rampant racism, bigotry and everything else the media is telling me is every where.

Oh well I guess this is what you see when you live in the real world, live in the location, in the culture and not on the internet among regurgitated Chinese whispers some try to pass off as news.

Reality. More people should try it.

Edit: I should add also there are many types of Aboriginals. Different tribes. Some women can carry a didgeridoo others they cannot even look at it. Just like Christianity, Islam etc. general labels. They're not all the same.
Be curious to know which actual tribe and belief systems this outrage is coming from.
edit on 20-3-2019 by AtomicKangaroo because: edited as stated.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   
there is also an aspect of "intellectual property" coming into play where people want to claim rightful ownership of cultural practice !

but in the sense that we pay homage rather than physical money to use another groups culture !

I guess it also comes down to ego !

if I started tying my shoes a different way and wore a hat on a tuesday but only tuesday and hopped on my right leg 3 times before saying hello when you greet me and that some how beyond all expectation caught on and some youtube twit got famous because of it
id be a little bit pissed off , where is my recognition and adulation , it was "MY " idea it's "MY" cultural practice!

is the type of situation I see !

especially in the media driven world !

Yes you are right, travel and mix with others of the world it reduces ignorance and increases acceptance and understanding , we are all essentially the same despite our protestation that we are somehow individual and unique !

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop

Well my apologies or not, not sure
Interesting that it wasn’t a written language, obviously but never considered it. Spelling, struggle with English, funny I can’t be corrected for poor aboriginal words spelling

Manatj, interesting, not heard it before. 🤓
Never really put much effort into the local native culture, just had a few friends in a past life

Funny, sport is an equaliser, culture appropriation be buggered

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

I feel like I've taken a step back after reading this comment. I thought I understood English. Was that a written brain fart at the end? Beers for you!

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
If it’s accepted cultural appropriation for whitey to wear dreadlocks, wear clothes with designs from other cultures, play musical instruments from other races etc, then surely that goes both ways?

Henceforth, any black person should have to give up their nice house and beemer (whitey inventions) and run around in loincloths with a spear chasing their lunch.

I mean, that’s logical, based on the thinking of these idiots spouting this nonsense.....right?

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Cheers - Dave

I hope it was a troll. Had me laughing my ass off watching some of the responses who thought it was serious. : )

Some of them are crazy nuts lol. I just thought it was a really stupid thing to go off about since other races are using literally everything made by "white devils" lol. Cars, guns, high rise apartments, clean water, guitars, piano, saxophone, etc. Can imagine the BS we'd hear if someone claimed black appropriation of almost everything lol. Oh wait, I just did, ohhh noooos!

Ohhhh, the butt hurt, better call a whambulance lol.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   
So we should all have separate but equal instruments based on race............

I though being progressive was about progressing?

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

right !

instruments based on racial stereotypes !

so the bagpipes are fine for scotland since we are all so whiny and miserable and you cant listen to it for too long without getting a sore head , harsh to the ear and rough as a badgers arse!

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I can get behind this one, I'm sick of dreadlocked white hippies.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
My take is that nothing would evolve for the better if we didn't take someone's idea and put our own stamp on it.
Take video players. First was Betamax, by the appropriation logic that's where it should have stopped. But it was cack. Not long enough etc.
Then came VHS, clearly appropriating and making it into something usable for everyone.

Computer games.
We'd still be playing pong if we weren't allowed to take an idea and make it better.
Music. It's all well hammering on two hollow wooden logs but man, someone stole the idea and now we have decent drum kits. I also love how basic Rick and Roll riffs have evolved into Stoner Metal and Heavy Metal. Thanks to taking a boring idea and using it.

Fashion. Whilst I love looking like Tarzan's Jane, I'm glad someone appropriated clothes and invented pretty dresses instead of puma bras.

Medicine. Nobody loves to drink bark juice more than me against a cold but I prefer the modern takes on old drugs. Sure, we have appropriated shamans somewhere but come on, modern pharmaceuticals are far more potent and easier to swallow [literally] and have saved many lives.

Also, what is the difference between a Didgeridoo and an Alpine Horn?
Maybe they sound different, but in effect they are quite similar [long wooden blow-things]. Maybe humans can come up with similar ideas in two different places?
Like dreadlocks. They don't just belong to the black. Vikings and Neolithic men sported the look just as much.

This whole appropriation thing is the dumbest thing at the moment. It used to be called appreciation and then development, but the permanently brainless seem to want stagnation and halted development.
Taking an idea and making it better or change it into something more suitable is the backbone of human success.

Anyone against that can live in a cave for all I care. Unless they copy someone else who lived in a cave first...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join