It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wendelstein 7-X Stellerator Hot Fusion Reactor achieves 100 seconds of controlled reaction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:55 PM
link   
"Record stellarator values achieved Wendelstein 7-X for the energy stored in the plasma. By strong microwave heating, the energy content of the plasma exceeded one megajoule for the first time, without the vessel wall becoming too hot. With good plasma values, long lasting plasmas over durations of 100 seconds have been obtained - also one of the best stellarator values to date."

""Congratulations to the Wendelstein 7-X team on the new world record. The approach is the right one - in this way, important new findings have been made for the future use of fusion power stations. Alongside renewables, fusion energy could be THE energy source of the future. "

Successful second round of experiments with Wendelstein 7-X

German engineering is the best in the World. Hot Fusion is the future!

It's really just amazing what really smart people can do!!

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Sweet!

But after this announcement where does this thread go?? We have a W7-X thread and my ignored fusion thread except for a couple members who care.

And this was posted, twice, at each thread... which is why I post dates now...

Anyway, yeah last year!! (Besides b1tchin about something that is not news... uh, was pretty cool!! And I think W7-X will be the first to reach ignition).

Please... try searching, as if ATS isn’t the first place something cool gets posted!! The fusion news gets reported a couple of times so watch the dates!)

We love our bunny holes we fall in...

-Fusion Fanboy

PS - Drinking beer watching Braketology!!

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I'll be searching those threads - I'm just debating how to invest in this tech

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

It is not just one tech!

Like different kinds of engines, it probably take several kinds.

I didn’t even mention the laser ones because this thread is not about that...

Material science, lasers, fusion, war machines, take your pick! You could probably make a decent amount in any of them.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Sometimes, it's nice to see a thread with a shred of hope as opposed to the endless mud-pit threads titled "Democrats are poo poo".

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I hear you!

I t was September that this was announced but it is all good!

Just that ATS has most of these topics covered!

And like I asked, after this news, what happens after the upgrade?? Well, another thread where people don’t know crap about fusion and more frustration.

It gets tiring telling people everything again!

Just saying!

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   

It was new to me. I haven't looked in a year and I wanted to see how they were doing.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 03:19 AM
link   

German engineering is the best in the World. Hot Fusion is the future!

Nothing against hot or cold fusion but since fleischmann and pons seems that it's a wild goose chase (hot or cold)...
As it is right now Greenpower will become a monopoly pushed by the superelite...

Why not thorium ? Could be realized in less time... Fusion the future maybe....

Now start singing Fusion song...

The sun will come out
Tomorrow
Bet your bottom Euro
That tomorrow
There'll be sun!

Hot fusion , hot fusion , you're always a decade away...

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

The 2nd run completed with a bunch of new milestones.

They added a divertor which is used to steer impurities in the plasma out of the reactor. The thing is carbon tile and can take a huge load of heat. They were able to steer the plasma onto the divertor each time they tried and watch it catch and dissipate the heat load upon it.

They upgraded the carbon tiles around the inside of the reactor. Each was computer cut to a specification of .001 or something ridiculous like that! That allowed them to get that 100 second mark of heating with a passively cooled reactor. When it was built, they had the active cooling portion constructed inside but not hooked up. It will be after this shut down for upgrades.

They hit a milestone for a stellarator style fusion reactor for ion heating. And the reached high plasma density which they said could be easily be higher had they had active cooling. The new microwave beam heaters they installed performed flawlessly. And they confirmed what the published from round 1, that their magnetic fields hardly needed any help from the outside magnets (used to correct any flaws).

I seriously think this device will reach ignition, where the plasma becomes self-sustaining "fire" because it was designed that way (using "super computers" from the 1990s! lol). In fact, a researcher has already made improvements to the magnetic confinement scheme used to construct W7-X. They should be able to construct another stellarator with less magnets and as efficient confinement.

Check out the IPP newsletters, for all the things they have accomplished. From the first one where they ran a helium plasma and talked about the insane camera set up, to all things I mentioned above. I really think this will demonstrate nuclear fusion as a viable source of energy!

@frenchfries, check out Thor Energy as they continue to run fuel test on their thorium reactor (something like a 5 year run. And this is round 2 for them).

top topics

join