It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Jury Finds Roundup Was 'Substantial Factor' in California Man's Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Edwin Hardeman of Santa Rosa was the first person to challenge Monsanto’s Roundup in a federal trial and alleged that his exposure to Roundup caused him to develop non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL), a cancer that affects the immune system.

Source

The man had sprayed the herbicide for nearly three decades on his property to control weeds and poison oak. Hardeman’s lawyer now has the opportunity to present arguments about Monsanto’s supposed influence over government regulators and cancer research, while the jury mulls over liability and damages.

Hardeman’s case is considered a “bellwether” trial for hundreds of other plaintiffs in the US with similar claims, which means the verdict could affect future litigation and other cancer patients and families. Monsanto, now owned by the German pharmaceutical company Bayer, is facing more than 9,000 similar lawsuits across the US.

Monsanto continues to argue that their “conduct has been appropriate and the company should not be liable for Mr Hardeman’s cancer”. Despite what you'd expect them to say, the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer has already labeled glyphosate a probable cause of cancer in humans.

Jennifer Moore and Aimee Wagstaff, Hardeman’s attorneys, said they were prepared to show the jury examples of Monsanto’s “bad conduct” in the next phase of the trial. “Now we can focus on the evidence that Monsanto has not taken a responsible, objective approach to the safety of Roundup”, they wrote in a statement.

This new ruling follows another historic verdict almost a year ago, where a California state jury ruled that Roundup had caused the terminal cancer of a former school groundskeeper. Monsanto payed out $289 million in damages. Given the opportunity, I'm sure Monsanto's own testing and internal investigations will prove everybody wrong. /sarc.

Searching ATS will yield some good threads on the subject.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Anyone who uses this kind of product and thinks it's safe is mistaken.

You would think the substance might have been mishandled to a degree by the customer... who knows?

In a commercial setting, someone would have to be crazy not to take extra precautions.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I can see the explosion of T.V. ads from attorney's now.

"Did you use Roundup to Kill Weeds and Now Have Cancer? Did anyone in your family ever die of Cancer who used Roundup to kill weeds in the yard? If so, call Sue Suethem, before we drive Monsanto into bankruptcy. Call: 1-Sue-Their-Ass TODAY!
edit on 3/19/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Anything that kills nature the way this stuff does can not be good for any living thing and the people who make it should not have led anyone to believe otherwise.
Its basically a watered down version of agent orange. Maybe not as watered down as people thought.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Couldn't happen to a more deserving company. Sue 'em.

I know plenty of nice folks probably work for Monsatano, but it's a beast that needs to be put down.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Remember when this was a conspiracy?

I swear conspiracy theories are just really early news reports.

How can you NOT entertain them [conspiracy theories]?

When someone says, "That's only a conspiracy", you have so many cases where you can say HA, I TOLD YOU SO, that it becomes unfathomable to trust the doubters.

This is a big win and will pave the way for a class action lawsuit of the size we may have never seen before.

We only need the jury to hold Bayer liable.

Anyone wanna place bets on Justice?

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 11:47 PM
link   
They need to look at mystery fibroids in 1/3 of women with this crap too.

As I understand, it's in the water now too.

new topics

top topics

join