It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CA man just did his taxes... apples to apples comparison

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: jgarc028

im happy to pay less in taxes" even if it's a miniscule amount

Don't forget ours isn't permanent. It was only for 4 years. How much time do we have left on that? When did it officially start?

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I found it very amusing how David Pakman complained about his tax cuts because he thinks he did nothing to deserve it.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: jgarc028
a reply to: MisterSpock

your missing the point of the post, I'm not glorifying or demonizing CA. im merely trying to demonstrate
how we alll need to understand how taxes truly affect us and not take the msm word for it

Do you have a breakdown of where your increase in taxes came from?

Is it from the state or federal level?

Trump can't control any state increases. While I haven't looked, I'd find it safe to assume that california state taxes increased year over year. If that's the case, what bearing does that have in your circumstance with regard to federal tax cuts.

Yes, he actually broke it down in the OP. I like ya Spock, but you replied based solely on a thread title this time, less knee-jerky responses man, c'mon I know your better than that

from the op

in 2017 i made a total of $31,296 i paid $3,900 in taxes... 12.46% of my total income was taken away due to federal, state, and local taxes. in 2018 i made $37,889. i paid $4,652 in taxes... keeping in mind my only change from '17 to '18 was the income i earned, i worked a lot more in 2018. all the other filing variables stayed the same. i paid 12.28% in taxes.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Haven't done mine yet.

Not sure, but I think I'll do OK this year with the increased child credit. But next year the ex claims it.

Of course, Donald has a dependent minor too. Not that it matters. I wonder if the W&M committee will have to do the subpoena thing.

I wonder if he did better than your 1%.

edit on 3/19/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: jgarc028
a reply to: rickymouse

again as mentioned i know that. i work a ton of overtime. 10+ hours a day 6 days a week. what i work and make shouldn't take away from my original post!.... "comparing 2017 to 2018, i paid a lower percentage of all taxes added up"

I read your full OP, unfortunately some of our better members jumped on the title and assumed premise of the thread, and went in defense mode.

You paid less in taxes. You are trying to say to people to not base how much you paid in taxes by the refund you receive.

And you are 100% correct, the media deception tells us we paid more in taxes because we had a lower refund, but what they forget to tell you is you actually saw that on your paycheck each time, and you weren't responsible with the extra $25-50 a week in your pocket.

Those people need to redo their w4 forms and have the government take that extra from them, so they can get it back at the end of the year.

Cheers man, good OP!

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

If you pay less than $10,000 in SALT annually, you will be better off, if it's higher than that you will pay more.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 02:50 AM
link   
From what I heard. The federal change is you can't deduct your state taxes . About time the rest of us don't have to pay for someone else's tax. Time to take a closer look at your representatives and question your high tax rates. California, N. J., and N.Y. taking it the worst.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I will await the pronouncement of TurboTax.
TurboTax knows all.

And if I pay more they'll sort of support me in case of audit.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: jgarc028

im happy to pay less in taxes" even if it's a miniscule amount

Don't forget ours isn't permanent. It was only for 4 years. How much time do we have left on that? When did it officially start?

It's 10 years, and the only reason it isn't permanent is because it wasn't legal to make them permanent, for that you can blame congress and previous administrations, Trump didn't sign that law. It will be up for renewal at the end of the 10 years, at which time if approved the personal cuts will remain for another 10 years.

It's amazing how little people know when they rely on MSM for information, almost like talking to a stubborn toddler...oh wait it isn't any different...

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Touche'

Fair enough, the code did become a bit more complicated, but the deductions you were used to having for the most part still remain, its those pesky insanely high SALT that can no longer be deducted. Sucks for people in those states, I chose one that has low taxes for a reason.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Yeah. Postcard and stuff.

My supervisor (in a company the size of mine that doesn't mean much) is a really good accountant, and a staunch conservative. He was bitching the other day about forms that are referenced but aren't available.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 03:07 AM
link   

It's 10 years,

Proof?

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 05:24 AM
link   

No he didnt? He just stated the accumulative of state, local, and federal. Spock was saying he needs to break it down to actually determine the increase or decrease in only federal taxes.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 06:05 AM
link   

You got that right. Housing comparison from Norfolk Virginia a medium sized city on the east coast to Los Angeles shows a medium housing cost of 181 K in Norfolk and 680K in Los Angeles.
And there are plenty of 15.00 an hour jobs here.
Groceries are just a bit cheaper in Virginia than L.A. but gosh you can sure live a lot cheaper here.
Plus no earthquakes. LOL.
People live well here at 30K. Higher than that they live like kings.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 06:13 AM
link   

He earned a little more. He said that. His rate changed by a fraction from 12.46 to 12.28. That is pretty much exactly the same.
at 30 K 12.46% is 3738. and 12.28% is 3684. the difference is $54.00 or $1.04 per week.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
a reply to: Lumenari

Ah.
Due to buying a Fixer-upper house at the bottom of the market (now doubled in value), and some other good decisions- I've not had the opportunity to go into itemizing. But I looked into it every year.

I guess I either did not get that far into the form before I saw it (the form) didn't work for me, or I had forgotten about it, as it did not pertain to me.

Yea... the tax change hit Holly-weird and the rich more than it did normal people in California.

I still think the North should split from the South there.

Better representation for all.

Well, the trick the media is playing on people is to ignore the lost deduction of state taxes. Why should Montana pay a cent to help over taxed Liberal states who don't know how to handle money? Standing on your own economic policies like many other states do is smart. Now Cali needs to get smart.

I vote that you make a lot of sense.

And that split would be epic. One more conservative state however and we will see heads explode on the left, they will probably try to start a war and that won't end well for anybody. Very likely liberals who can't use a rifle will be understanding why the founders thought each of us should own at least one good one and we should never be denied.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

OP never mentioned how much more they took home in 2018

in 2017 i made a total of $31,296.
in 2018 i made $37,889

What monthly federal payment are you talking about.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I will await the pronouncement of TurboTax.
TurboTax knows all.

And if I pay more they'll sort of support me in case of audit.

And when they fail to tell you the IRS called and wanted to discuss it, as they did to me a few years back? That happened to me during the Bush era, I was already a moderate. We were 'called on the carpet' and learned the IRS successfully sent them, but not me, a notification. As I had moved we missed the mail, and it was returned to sender. They did forgive us but it took a whole day for two employed people and the IRS agent's time to get it right. We had paid TurboTax, they refunded. I have an accountant now.
ETA
How did I find out I forget to mention?

My refund was going to be huge, it didn't arrive via electronic so I called the IRS. woo hoo, glad I did.
edit on 19-3-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

When I was a kid earning a lot less the deduction was a forced savings for me. I got a refund every year when I couldn't manage to save a dime. LOL. Not until I decided I wanted to buy a house. Then I grew up and saved every penny I could.
My children are way better at savings at their ages than I was.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: carewemust

When I was a kid earning a lot less the deduction was a forced savings for me. I got a refund every year when I couldn't manage to save a dime. LOL. Not until I decided I wanted to buy a house. Then I grew up and saved every penny I could.
My children are way better at savings at their ages than I was.

Mine are too. Star for you!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join