It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12ft Great White Shark Found Bitten in Half

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Rewey

All sharks have approximately 300 teeth.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
Hello ATS. Just got this news feed about it. Apparently, it happened in Australia. Not sure if this is news... I'm not even sure if a 12ft great white shark is even that big. But it does have me thinking about what else could be down that's big enough to bite a shark in half?

What days Ats?

Posting from my cell so bear with me.

youtu.be...

Another Great White, 12' is still just a junior. Not sure if Killer Whales roam Aus, but they will certainly kill Great Whites.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDidHappen

Dude Great Whites are so f-ing savage.

Little fun fact, there are usually 2 to 3 baby sharks in the womb; but Only the strongest survive is born. They freaking fight to the death and eat each other. Before they are born. Completely savage I am awed with respect at the sheer power of some beasts.
edit on 18-3-2019 by DoctorX11 because: eh

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DoctorX11

Actually it's a genetics thing, often more than one male will mate successfully. The largest embryo will eat any other embryo's from different males/fathers.

Personally I think sharks in general have been demonised.
edit on 18-3-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Fun fact, but incorrect. While the pups may eat unhatched eggs in the womb, not much evidence that they eat other hatchlings.

The great white shark is ovoviviparous, which means that the shark grows in an egg, which is then hatched inside the mother. Shortly thereafter, the shark pup is born. While in the womb, great white shark embryos feast on unfertilized eggs, a practice known as oophagy. It doesn't appear that they eat the fertilized eggs, as a few other species of shark has been known to do, but they may swallow their own teeth when they lose them for the calcium [source: Martins, Knickle].

The gestation period is estimated to be 12 to 18 months, but this is largely speculative [sources: McGhee, Francis]. The litter size of the great white ranges from two to 10 pups, although litters of up to 17 pups have been documented [sources: MarineBio, McGhee].

animals.howstuffworks.com...

edit on 3/18/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Alright alright you got me. I'm totally wrong on the specifics.

But still an amazing example of their "survival of the fittest" ingrained in their DNA
edit on 18-3-2019 by DoctorX11 because: eh

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Remarkable creatures.

Not the loveliest of sharks though. That would be the blue.
www.georgekarbusphotography.com...
edit on 3/18/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   
If someone had the opportunity to capture a live baby orca or get one via birth in captivity and fed it just enough to stay alive through it's adolescence in a smaller tank, could they stunt the growth permanently so long as a strict diet was maintained?

It'd never happen because that's cruelty to a majestic animal they'd say, and for all I know it's probably endangered, but it'd be very cool. Like a miniature of pygmy orca, as small as literally possible so probably still the size of a dolphin.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

It would just die.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 12:05 AM
link   
In Mexico along the Gulf of Baja's northern beach I once saw the front half of a large, fat sea lion that was around 5 ft diameter and 4 feet from snout to just past the front fins , so must've been more than 10 ft long when whole.

It had what appeared to be 4 inch wide tooth marks and looked like a clean single bite had taken the back 6 or more feet.

I wasn't a qualified forensic pathologist for sea life at that time, but I didn't swim in the ocean that summer.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: lostbook

12' is medium sized.

No pics. But Orca are known to enjoy shark sashimi.

actually that's average size (on the bigger end for boy sharks of the white belly) there Phage. I know what a medium coffee is, but not a medium shark, unless we're talking about cooking here.....
edit on 19/3/19 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Dear lostbook,

the media reports are somewhat exagerrated. Jay Haagmans, the diver who came across the carcass and a star of the reality show Abalone Wars, didn't claim to have found a large shark bitten in half, only that it was missing the whole tail and rear part. He told the media:

"There was probably about 10 feet of shark left, and I reckon it would have been a 13 footer all up. Not the hugest shark, but not a small one either."

For those interested, here's the article:

Abalone diver Jay Haagmans finds half-eaten great white shark off Flinders Island

Have a great day.
edit on 20-3-2019 by MegHead because: Correction of link

edit on 20-3-2019 by MegHead because: Correction of link

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 04:40 AM
link   
It may of not been one huge bite, could of been killed and then consumed by another number of animals

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MegHead

only that it was missing the whole tail and rear part

Is why I mentioned "no pics" in my first post. But he did say this:

“It was clean cut, definitely a bite,” he said.

edit on 3/20/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Not quite sure why you are telling me what Haagmans said. I didn't question if the shark was bitten in my prior post.
I was just correcting the media's misleading claim that a "12ft shark was bitten in half", evoking hype similar to the "Shark Alpha" story from 2014.

For all we know, there was no shark and Haagmans' is just promoting the TV show. He many also have been mistaken about the size or that the caudal peduncle and fin were bitten off (cleanly). If a shark cadaver were to be found in such a state, there are two perfectly reasonable culprits, orca and white shark, both of which have already been suggested and discussed here.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Dude did you read what you just cited? Its hard to be wrong (well at least no fun), but why double down too? lol off day?

Relax and have a

edit on 23-3-2019 by Rob808 because: Spelling is lame

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MegHead

That's pretty much what I said in my first post. With fewer words.

edit on 3/24/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join