It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 Arrested in UK Over Alleged Support of NZ Shooting

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
First it was the "thought" police.

Now it's the "word" police.

What's next? 😎

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Chance321

and within 3 lines the article you link even states

George Orwell wrote 1984
, think the bloggers analysis may score him quite low based on his title

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport

But when we are diving into the murky waters of criminalising speech and thought and opinions.....is that not communism?

No, it's totalitarianism.

Communism is a system of economics.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

Commies censor.

Like what NZ is doing.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
And so it starts......
Arrests Made in UK
Manchester Police Arrest 2

A 24yr old man was earlier arrested in Oldham for showing support of the NZ shooter online. Now obviously I can't condone what that person posted and in the current climate he should know its quite dangerous to post anything that could hurt people or their feelings and I suppose it was quite tactless, but if he wasn't calling for death or violence and simply posting his own opinion however delusional, then there is no crime. If the couple arguing with the taxi driver were unpleasant and insulting then there is NO CRIME except the crime of the taxi driver perhaps being upset, which I'm sorry but that's life and probably that taxi driver gets insulted and upset every Saturday night with the drunks but its still NOT A CRIME.

Whatever my personal horror at the shooting and whatever my disgust at those that support the killer, its merely words, a crime is only committed if a law is broken such as incitement to violence etc. You CANNOT have a crime of hurt feelings! But it seems indeed you can

Greater Manchester Police Constable stated

The events which happened two days ago in New Zealand continue to cause huge upset with people of all faiths from across Greater Manchester. “It is absolutely clear that compassion and support is how the overwhelming majority of people feel and, as always, Greater Manchester stands together. “Over the weekend we have had, however, a small number of incidents where people have either posted or made remarks referencing the horrible events in New Zealand, particularly online where people often think it is acceptable to abuse others. “Some of these comments are frankly disgusting. I am amazed how some people think it is acceptable to make such careless and disrespectful remarks. “People are entitled to free speech and this is always respected, however, where this crosses the boundary into criminal offences, let me be really clear, we will make arrests and if the evidence is there we will seek the prosecution of those involved.” – ASSISTANT CHIEF CONSTABLE RUSS JACKSON, GREATER MANCHESTER POLICE

I'm interested to know just what the actual criminal offence is here....besides holding an unpopular opinion. Clearly the statement of the Ass Chief Constable regarding free speech is hogwash.

Youtube & Spotify have even gone so far as to remove the music the shooter was listening to for crying out loud! Censorship is now the norm...conform or see jail time.

Whatever you may post online someone somewhere can be offended if they so choose. Now in the UK if you hurt someone's feelings and they feel offended regardless of whether you meant any offence or not you can be arrested. Whatever you say in an argument or the heat of the moment can be used against you...watch your speech watch your opinions watch your tone of voice be careful who you speak to...you could be misinterpreted and end up in Court.

This is just the beginning....newspeak thoughtcrime and hold no opinions but official ones is now a reality

Siick f****, however adios to the freedom of speech we never actuqlly had.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

The 4 arrested are clearly idiotic #wits but that in itself is no crime.

Being a #wit isn't a crime and if it was we wouldn't have anyone in Westminster or running our local councils because almost every, single one of them would have been lifed off by now!

Views should be challenged rather banned.

Definitely!

There is so much hatred about in the world at the moment.....

There's always been hatred, just take a casual look at history....there's nothing extra special about the degree of hatred shown today.
That's quite a damning thought but we haven't regressed or progressed.....just same old #ing same old.

Give the idiots a good old fashioned slap, fair enough.....arresting them is pathetic.....prosecuting them would be outrageous and against the principles this country was allegedly built on.

edit on 18/3/19 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Chance321

That's Orson Welles giving his analysis of the book written by George Orwell.

Welle in that case who was Orson?

I will pick up my jacket on the way out thank you very much...

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Mork's mate.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Orsen Wells.

Most famous for the War of the Worlds hoax.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Mork's mate.

I thought that was Mindy!?🤪

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Orsen Wells.

Most famous for the War of the Worlds hoax.

The album is brill👍

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

There are 7.5 billion people in the World. There is an ultra small percentage of crazy extremists who act on their craziness.

I think what is important is not to form a broad stroke generalizations based on math illiterate observations.

Are you talking about crazy extremists and dysfunctionals like antifa, blm, 3rd/4th feminazis, progressives, the AGW/AGCC crowd, sjws and generally liberals? Or are you talking about crazy religious fundamentalist extremists? There be a lot of different kinds of crazy extremists out there.

Cheers - Dave

In this case a crazy white supremacist.

My point is, if you're going to combat one type of crazy, combat all types of crazy, no sense in the at-left maintaining their hyypocrisy. I don't give a flying f**k what color they are, what race, what gender, what religion or what political ideology. If they're nuts, they're nuts and need to be dealt with. There's no time for political correctness when the crazies are already inside the city gates and government.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   
It wasn't too long ago those in the UK rallied to defend this, one of their most important freedoms.

edit on 18-3-2019 by Tartuffe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Mork calling Orson.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Funny in the UK you can support an illegal war but not an illegal terrorist. Although i do find it hard to discern the difference between the two.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

as a expat englishman i'm truly saddened and shocked at this happening i live in new zealand and were mostly tolerant of free speech if its out there i haven't seen anything about it

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Mork calling Orson.

NanouNanou...

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

I think you'd need to know what was actually said, before you could establish whether these people were arrested for simply exercising freedom of speech.

I mean, having an opinion that's unsympathetic about what happened in Christchurch would be one thing, but making threats by referencing the massacre... well that's a whole different kettle of fish.

I'm pretty sure that would even be considered illegal over in the land of the free... I highly doubt even the 1st amendment affords people the right to make threats of violence.

This in no way references any threat.

A man, aged 33, and a woman, 34, were held on suspicion of racially aggravated public order offences in Rochdale.

Another woman has also been arrested in the same town on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence "following comments made online about the New Zealand attack". Separately, a 24-year-old from Oldham was arrested over a Facebook post which police said expressed "support" for the white supremacist terror attack.

no threats
just opinions it seems
too bad it appears opinions in the uk now can be against the law

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Steveogold

protection of free speech means we protect even those whose speech is offensive

guess that is not the case in the uk anymore

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Tartuffe

never seen this before he was right on every aspect good find