It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shelter-in-Place expanded in midst of 'uncontrolled' tank fire, City of Deer Park says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
A tank is currently ablaze at a petrochemical plant in Texas , the fire is reported as "uncontrolled" and a shelter-in-place advisory has been issued for the entire City of Deer Park

The City of Deer Park issued a shelter in place for its residents, saying:

"This is an update to the Shelter-in-Place Emergency in Deer Park. As of 1:00PM, the chemical tank fire remains uncontrolled. As a precaution, the Shelter-in-Place has been expanded to include all of Deer Park city limits. Residents are asked to remain sheltered and avoid going outdoors if at all possible. Community air monitoring is being conducted and additional updates will be provided as they become available."

The facility is located on Independence Parkway, just north of Highway 225.

La Porte OEM said it closed Highway 225 in both directions from Beltway 8 to Independence Parkway

I'm sure there are security features build into those tanks and the fire will eventually burn itself out but it is a bit of a nightmare situation , I wish those on the ground luck.

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That could be really bad. The SF Chronicle is saying that it's the second fire at a petrochemical facility in Houston "in as many days" (whatever that means).

I hope everyone stays safe.
edit on 17/3/2019 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Thats some serious pollution right there.

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Houston Chronicle

Officials said a chemical tank containing naphtha, a component in gasoline, had caught fire. Fire fighters are attempting to control the fire using foam.

www.chron.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   
That looks bad, but the video in the OP doesn't seem to be live?

edit on 17-3-2019 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Seeing a live link it looks like its spreading.

www.youtube.com... (Not sure how to embed)

Also those emergency personnel are a lot braver than I am, they dont look that far away from the flames.

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Looks as though another tank is on now fire.

edit:

It may be burning liquid on the ground.
edit on 3/17/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   

1st Responder here...either shelter in and close all hm windows, doors, vents in case of chemicals in air...leave no pets outside.

Other alternative is get everyone in a car and drive outta town in direct opposite direction until all clear.

PS Depends on wind direction and speed

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Thats some serious pollution right there.

It's nothing compared to a volcano explosion.

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I saw the plume from where I live earlier but didn't take a pic, it's too dark right now to do so.

I figured it was either Deer Park or Pasadena, both located in close proximity to one another in the direction I could see the plume. Those two towns along with Texas City are major refinery centers here in the Texas Gulf Coast region. Had several shelter in place events when I lived in Texas City; people that live there are used to them and are likely not too terribly worried.

Here is the area in question:

If it is still burning tomorrow, I will try and get a few pics of the plume. I won't even have to leave my driveway to do so.

a reply to: Iamonlyhuman

The second fire in as many days means that there were two days in a row with fires. Not sure if the first touched off the second or if they are separate events at the same refinery.
edit on 17-3-2019 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Your title alarmed me. I live close to Deer Park, Illinois.
edit on 3/17/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Jeez.

Wonder if they will have to lower explosives into it like oil well fires.

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   
20 minutes ago as of this posting 2040 Arizona time.

ITC Plant fire spreads to multiple tanks, shelter-in-place remains for Deer Park

Officials say a second tank at the ITC plant has caught on fire as crews continue trying to put out the flames in Deer Park.

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Looking at the video footage, I have determined that this is the tank that started the blaze:

Google Maps

The tank in question is located in the middle of many more similar tanks so it is no surprise that the fire has spread. I do not know the cause and it is likely far too early to determine exactly what sparked the blaze, but it is very likely this will be burning well into the night and possible the day tomorrow.

If one zooms out on the google map link above, one will see that this particular location is very near the San Jacinto monument and battle ground.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   

The chemicals in the original two tanks that caught fire are Naptha and Xylene, both components in gasoline. According to earlier reports, Naptha can irritate the nose and throat when breathed, and poisonous gases are produced when it's exposed to fire.

The fire spread to five more tanks overnight.

www.chron.com...

I didn't think that only one tank would burn given the situation.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Made a road trip to Houston today. Driving in highway 59 the smoke could be seen across Houston. A dark gray patch.

It appears to be blown out to the west or SW. Went we left, it looked to be as far out as Rosenberg, 30 miles.

Looking at the 5:30 data, wind is now from the SW so the folk north east of Houston can enjoy it.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
In Houston, about 21 miles away.

In Stafford, TX, west of Houston toward Sugarland, TX.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The cloud hung over my office all day. Made it look like thunderstorms were about to happen. Didn't take any pics though. Owner is a client - 7 tanks so far, apparently the eighth tank is empty.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

live coverage of the fire

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   
If you live near this I think that you should be prepared to evacuate.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join