It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student Arrested For Writing Zombie Fiction Story!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Winchester police took William Poole (18) into custody Tuesday morning. Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that outline possible acts of violence/terrorism aimed at students, teachers, and police.

Poole has said the whole incident is a big misunderstanding. He claims that what his grandparents found in his journal and turned into police was a short story he wrote for English class about fictional Zombies overruling the local high school.

It's a fake story. I made it up. I've been working on one of my short stories, (and) the short story they found was about zombies. Yes, it did say a high school. It was about a high school over ran by zombies."

www.lex18.com...

So the Police say the nature of the story makes it a felony? Is it now a crime to write fictional Sci-fi Zombie stories during our most imaginative adolescent years? I'd say we're about two steps away from an all-out police controlled state. On a side note though, what's up with his grandparents turning him into the authorities? Talk about being "war on terror" paranoid!..

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Is there more to the story than this article talks about? Seems a little strange to just do it on the strength of a short story, unless there may have been other mitigaating curcumstances ... On the other hand, it is getting really fruit in some places.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Poole disputes that he was threatening anyone.

"It didn't mention nobody who lives in Clark County, didn't mention (George Rogers Clark High School), didn't mention no principal or cops, nothing,"
said Poole. "Half the people at high school know me. They know I'm not that stupid, that crazy."

If this is correct, than even a halfway decent lawyer should be able to get the kid out of jail and back into school where he belongs...

Man, the world is going to hell in a handbasket....

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
You know the parts that really sealed the deal for me about how idiotic this "War on Terror" phobia the current administration seems to be promoting:

He claims that what his grandparents found in his journal and turned into police ...

It amazing how easily the elderly, who came out in droves to support this administration, are so easily pursuaded by this administration to turn against their own flesh and blood.

On Thursday, a judge raised Poole's bond from one to five thousand dollars after prosecutors requested it, citing the seriousness of the charge.

That is just insane. "lets see boy writes an obviously ficticious story, hmmm. Yeah, that is a Threat to National Security. Raise the bond amount, open an FBI and CIA record on this Teenager. Inform his neighbors of his affiliation to Terrorist Cells. Incarcerate him in a youth reprogramming institute."

Lets hope they don't make Freedom of Speech Anti-American, otherwise we'll all be under arrest here soon.

Phae

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony. "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky," said Winchester Police detective Steven Caudill.

I don't know if there is more to the story or not but this appears very scary on the surface. If it's a felony to possess matter on the subject, you better not get caught with some Stephen King books in Kentucky.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
On the other hand, if this kid ever actually submits a story to a publisher, getting jailed for writing such a convincing tale MIGHT become a selling point. Clean it up, and submit it!

Seriously though, this kind of stuff shouldn't shock anyone. In the Forties, if you looked German or Japanese, you were screwed. In the Fifties, if you put Communism in anything resembling a GOOD light, you were screwed. In the Sixties (and Seventies) if you went two months without a haircut, you were screwed.

Look up a decade and and you'll find a society in paranoia, and the persecution of SOMEBODY.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Ah yes I can see it now, a special section of Guantanamo dedicated to housing subversive literary terrorists!
I'd better burn all my poems and stories before my ex girlfriend calls the feds. some of them are pretty dark and morbid!
Maybe he should have included a "the locations and names of people portrayed in this short story are fictional and any similarity to anyone living or dead is coincidental" disclaimer like they tack on the end of movies.

One point for Orwell I guess.

[edit on 1-3-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This is sick and sad. I feel for the kid, and for all the multitudinous artists who have suffered under the iron fist of this New Moral America. Fear has trumped Reason, and it's all our fault.

We let it happen. Now there's nothing to do but shake your head.

Or, call and tell those bastards in KY how you feel about their gestapo tactics, their disregard for freedom of speech, and their backwards ass pre-emptive laws.

Clark County Attorney Criminal Prosecutor
Winchester, KY
(859) 745-0220

Clark County Jail
(859) 745-0270

It's about time the American people started sticking up for each other. It's obvious the Justice system doesn't care about us anymore, the Politicians are taking advantage of our trust, and the system is working against our best interests. That means the people are free, and in fact duty bound, to affect a regime change.

Do unto others before they do unto you. Someone oughta charge that prosecutor with terrorism, and the state legislators too. They're scaring the crap oughta me!

Seriously, this nonsense has to end. Is this America, or isn't it?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Excuse me...

But how in the hell is this about Bush and the current administration???

Seriously, the anti-Bush crowd just looks stupid when they try to spin everything into being a Bush bash. Very stupid.

And sorry, but, the current worries over school violence began in the 1990s. They are not a result of the terrorism war. In fact.... many of the school districts with the toughest controls on student speech are liberal districts with democratic representatives.

I agree that this kid's arrest was wrong... but you Bush bashers need to realize that the LEFT started the trend where students can be punished for their ideas.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
But it is the grandparents who were brainwashed by this administration into watching EVERYONE including their flesh and blood. This is outrageous! To immediately turn on your own for a stupid piece of FICTIONAL paper.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams But how in the hell is this about Bush and the current administration???

Ok I might be wrong, but besides Gazrock's signature the first time Bush's name is mentioned is in your post.

And your right, things like this have been going on since the 90's and especially since Columbine, but the quote from the story that they suspect possible violence and even terrorism aimed at students, teachers, and police and the fact that his grandparents turned him in gives me chills. It start's with a kid writing a gory story about zombies, what's next?

[edit on 1-3-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I wrote a short story when I was 11, it was titled "The Day I Blew Up The White House." It was a fiction story about me and 2 of my friends. We were a covert military squad but I accidently blew up the white house 00ps!!! I would have been investigated by the SS if I wrote that today and was 11 wouldn't I....

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

Excuse me...

But how in the hell is this about Bush and the current administration???

This thread is in the War on Terrorism Forum. That is what this Administration has decided is the single most important point of interest for the first and next four years.

Seriously, the anti-Bush crowd just looks stupid when they try to spin everything into being a Bush bash. Very stupid.

Seriously, the pro-Bush crowd just looks stupid when they try and spin everything into Bush is the right hand of God. Very Stupid

And sorry, but, the current worries over school violence began in the 1990s. They are not a result of the terrorism war. In fact.... many of the school districts with the toughest controls on student speech are liberal districts with democratic representatives.

I agree that this kid's arrest was wrong... but you Bush bashers need to realize that the LEFT started the trend where students can be punished for their ideas.

This district is a Democratic District. A very weak one in a strong Republican State. The Police claim that the child violated a State Law not a county or district law.

Thats not the Issue though. The Issue is that this would not happen if the current Administration wasn't hell bent on forcing fear down the throats of every single American. How, in the past, would this child have been dealt with when his grandparents found this fictional story? Would they have been so apt to call the Police, have him arrested as a terrorist. No This Administration has force fed them the fear that they bought into and that fear is what led them to the actions they took to call the poilce.

As far as LEFT and RIGHT go, since you brought it up. LEFT is Liberal, Open Minded. Right is conservative, Closed Minded. If the current Administration was Left instead of Right. Liberals would still stand up against a closed minded society that is trying to force fear and take control, rather than blindly following their party.

Phae

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
What the hell is wrong with this kids family? i hope my family wouldnt turn me in like that, this is beyond belief!

[edit on 2-3-2005 by ufo3]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Sure the last thing America needs right now is another Columbine incident in our high schools. However, the sketchy part of this article is where Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and police.What kind of materials are they referring to? Pipe bombs or Zombie sketchings? Fertilizer or pencil shavings?

Where's CNN or FoxNews (or even ATS) when we need them most? Oh yea, they're too busy reporting the latest upgrades to the slim line iPOD..

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer
However, the sketchy part of this article is where Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and police.What kind of materials are they referring to? Pipe bombs or Zombie sketchings? Fertilizer or pencil shavings?

That's the part that scares me, Just exactly what else might these people interpret as indicating possible violence? If the guy was into claymation and the found dismembered MR. Bill type figures along with scripts and a video camera might that indicate he's carefully planning another columbine type incident? What if one of them looked like a policemen?

Where's CNN or FoxNews (or even ATS) when we need them most? Oh yea, they're too busy reporting the latest upgrades to the slim line iPOD..

Thats exactly true, if this doesn't merit a minute or so on the news, it just shows me that things like this might be allowed to happen on a larger scale. Who know's how many incidents of this type we will never know about. And about Ipods, your right, people whant to know about the newest cell phone or what Renee Zellweger wore to the oscars, not something that might make them question the government. And I'm sure the media is happy to feed it to you in order to keep your mind off such topics.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Isnt there already a thread on this here www.abovetopsecret.com...
I saw that one first.

Anyway. How can this be a possible threat to the school when zombies dont exhist? I mean did these people just watch shawn of the dead or something? I wonder if there would have been as much trouble if it was about vampires or frankenstein.

[edit on 2/3/05 by Croat56]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yet another example of our new police state.

Your own family turns you in to the Thought Police. Sound familiar?

And yes, this is mostly the fault of Lord Bush and his administration. War on Terror, they mean War of Terror. Terror in the hearts and minds of every single American.

This case is REALLY scary, though. It seems that they've got most of their plan in place and are getting ready to 8itch slap us. But, I guess it is all part of the New Freedom.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I just wanted to update this story and let everyone know that this 18 year old kid, William Poole, still faces a second-degree felony terrorist threatening charge for his plot to raise a zombie army to attack his high school.

William is still being held at the Clark County detention center.

www.theregister.co.uk...

Here are some comments from Poole

"My story is based on fiction. It's a fake story. I made it up. I've been working on one of my short stories, [and] the short story they found was about zombies. Yes, it did say a high school. It was about a high school over ran by zombies."

"It didn't mention nobody who lives in Clark County, didn't mention [George Rogers Clark High School], didn't mention no principal or cops, nothing. Half the people at high school know me. They know I'm not that stupid, that crazy."

Winchester Police detective Steven Caudill;

"Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky."

Hang in there William!

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This is a travesty, an abortion of justice.

If I lived any closer, or had a car, I would be down there passing a nail file through the bars.

People need to do something for that kid. I'm sure he's a little messed up in the head, but that's no reason to lock him up on a bogus terrorism charge.

What the hell happened to my country? This is America right? I mean, are we in China? Is this a Stalinist regime intent on criminalizing artists and dissent of all kinds?

What can people do about this ridiculous abuse of power?

Kentucky. Shouldn't even be a state. More like a fascist principality.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join