It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomer says aliens might zap black holes with lasers to travel the galaxy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I believe a black hole isn't required to accomplish this.

Only precision and a laser.

I would argue that it is possible to accomplish, with just a single atom, or a handful/cluster of atoms. (I have my own unification hypothesis, which would allow this to function at the atomic level.)

If one were able to aim a laser pulse, utilizing electron microscopy to fire at very specific target points near an atom's electron shell. I am sure it could produce the same exact effect.
edit on 16-3-2019 by Archivalist because: letter

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The laser has to be powered, right? No free lunches.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

The advantage comes in the energy efficiency and constant acceleration it would produce, relative to the energy costs.

It could allow for a feedback chain, accelerating it's acceleration until it nears C.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: moebius

But you can't go faster than the speed of light. Unless the energy is losing significant 'speed' as it travels, I'm guessing the black holes might just be 'repeaters' like you would have for wifi signals.

I love this theoretical stuff. I know I'm probably wrong but it might be on the right track!

Also, "you can't go faster than the speed of light"

Incomplete statement. You can't go faster than the speed of light+ and still be observable in space-time.
If something is accelerated beyond light speed, it doesn't break any rules if it can not be observed/does not break causality.
Staying inside of an event horizon for x amount of space-time is the opposite reaction, or leaving space-time permanently after distributing it's full energy content. One of those is probably right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join