It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No friend of the military serviceman

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I think this article speaks for itself and continues to prove my point.

No friend of military

One of the most hypocritical sights I've ever seen was George W. Bush in full flight gear strutting around the deck of the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln at the end of the Iraq invasion. Given that he was AWOL from his National Guard post for over a year, Bush's actions were insulting to all former and present military personnel.
Now, according to The Army Times, we learn that the White House fought a proposal to double the $6,000 gratuity paid to families of troops who die on active duty, and it wants to roll back recent increases in monthly imminent-danger pay (from $225 to $150) and family-separation allowance (from $250 to $100) for troops getting shot at in combat zones.
The White House budget proposal for 2004 also cuts $1.5 billion of the $9.2 billion military construction request, ensuring that a lot of military housing will remain substandard. President Bush's fiscal year 2004 budget plan even proposes to cut Impact Aid funding by over $200 million, with the entire reduction to come from the portion designed to support the education of children of military personnel.
As hundreds of thousands of our sons and daughters are still in harm's way, his cuts are particularly offensive. Except for political show, President Bush is no friend of the military.

Robert Hildebrand
Salt Lake City

www.sltrib.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 01:39 PM
link   
so um. you're all for giving the military money...
as a democrat.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Plus, 9 million people who are looking for work cannot find it in America. What percentage unemployment did Clinton give Bush? Was it 3%? Now its up over 6%?

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fury
as a democrat.

I am for giving military men pay raises and building infrastructure, not giving money to the militrary so a defense contractor like Lockheed can siphon it off.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I still find it hilarious how alot of young, pro-active people act like George Dubya is the first scumbag to ever grace the Oval Office. Try dredging up some of the disgustingly corrupt scandals the Clintons had their hands in, some of the alarming military procedures George senior and Reagan used agains the enemies of their enemies, the crushing effect Jimmy Carter had on American intelligence and the military both at home and abroad. The list certainly goes on, 100+ years. It's impossible to beat a dead horse back to life, colonel.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 01:42 PM
link   
So what is your point? Clinton did the same thing and he was/is a draft dodger. Of course the president is going to be on or around various military vehicles,ships and so forth.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Here, here!!! It really sticks in my craw when folks don't want to pay the military what they are worth. My dad fought in Korea and Vietnam and retired after 28 years of outstanding service, and cannot get the medical care that was promised him when he enlisted. I also blame congress who give themselves a whopping pay raise each year while withholding the cost of living increase from military retirees.

FLYING REPTOID

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
So what is your point? Clinton did the same thing and he was/is a draft dodger. Of course the president is going to be on or around various military vehicles,ships and so forth.

yeah, but you never saw Clinton pretending to be a war hero in a flight suit. (That was the most ridiculous and most embarrassing thing I ever saw)

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Here, here!!! It really sticks in my craw when folks don't want to pay the military what they are worth. My dad fought in Korea and Vietnam and retired after 28 years of outstanding service, and cannot get the medical care that was promised him when he enlisted. I also blame congress who give themselves a whopping pay raise each year while withholding the cost of living increase from military retirees.

FLYING REPTOID

Bush just cut 25 billion from Veteran's Benefits.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 01:49 PM
link   
A very 'democrat' thing Bush is doing - you should be happy, Colonel. The money is probably better going to a failed social program, eh?

I doubt any politician is as friendly to servicemen as they should be - but who is or has been a worse friend? Historically, the Dems, I'd vote.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Who said he was trying to act like a war hero? He did that to show his support for the troops and to rally them. Do you honestly think Clinton would have done the things Bush did on 9/11? Going down to the site the day or two after and rallying the firefighters, policemen, ect??

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I may be wrong, but don't we already give an exorbadent amount of money to the military? Grant it, we need it to a certain extent, but these are servicemen that you are talking about. Not to sound too morbid, but that's what those guys are there for. Military men die here training on a very regular basis. They go into battle KNOWING that people die. These are young men that have chosen the life they live, they knew getting into it that it is in know way a glamorous or well payed life.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Maybe not an entire suit but he wore military flight jackets. Again what is your point? It is ok for a dem to hop from ship to ship but not a republican.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
He's just a run of the mill Bush basher, nothing more. If Clinton flew there drunk, hopped out of the cockpit with his zipper down and an unconcious hooker laying in the floor, lit up a joint and then pissed on the American flag, the Colonel would probably be cheering with all his might.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fury
as a democrat.

Well, I can say that this Democrat is all for providing for the families of those willing to go fight for this country.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff

I always thought that getting educational deferments were well... educational deferments. By this logic: getting a RHODES scholarship and going abroad to study is being a dodger. Being put in the Texas national guard (a virtual hive of VietCong activity) and then not showing up for a year is.. patriotic?

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a hive of Vietcong activity? wha?

And wasn't the jet Bush flew retired - hence the year of awol?

And the 'National Guard', as in one weekend a month, 'national guard'? So, he missed a few weekends - that's all.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
a hive of Vietcong activity? wha?

And wasn't the jet Bush flew retired - hence the year of awol?

And the 'National Guard', as in one weekend a month, 'national guard'? So, he missed a few weekends - that's all.

OK I was being a tad sarcastic. I just don't understand how a guy gets a Rhodes scholarship and uses it and that makes him the devil. Neither of these presidents are military heros. They both ran from Vietnam, Bush just had to use his dad to get away as his brain was not up to acquiring a Rhodes.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I would have to say that Dubya has done the best job he could to put the US military back together after it was intentionally immasculated by William Jefferson Klinton.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 02:38 PM
link   

OK I was being a tad sarcastic. I just don't understand how a guy gets a Rhodes scholarship and uses it and that makes him the devil. Neither of these presidents are military heros. They both ran from Vietnam, Bush just had to use his dad to get away as his brain was not up to acquiring a Rhodes.

Bingo,we have a winner.
That is my point. So many people come here claiming Bush is an idiot,and pussed out on Nam. What gets me is how quickly they forget about Clinton and others in government.
Like this thread,so what if Bush was wearing a flight suit,so did Clinton and everyother President. What is the big deal.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join