It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proverbial characters;- The Wicked Man

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Just because they are a scholar and have doctorates, I included, does not mean we should take their understanding as gospel truth. We have gotten to a point in that we take scholars at their word and not by God's word.

I like to check what a man teaches by the preserved word of God. I believe that it is the Authorized Version.

Remember Paul applauded the Bereans as being more noble than those of another city because they searched the Scriptures daily to see if what Paul was teaching is true to the word of God.

Ac 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

I read very few books any more by so called Biblical Scholars, when I was younger in the Lord, I read a lot of their works with readiness of mind, but it wasn't until 12 years later that I began to search the scriptures to see whether the things they spoke were so.

I encourage checking them out, see if they are using Biblical terms and not terms some eloquent speaker coins to show how intelligent they are and lead people astray.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Greetings ChesterJohn,

I hope all is well with you. That eight day hiatus had me somewhat concerned.

When I was young I did read the KJV exclusively. Then I used Gruden's concordance to help find verses using phrases. I saw a study bible with cross references in the margins. When I bought one for myself, it had chronological charts and maps. I like charts and maps. But then somebody told me he didn't have a Bible of his own so I gave it to him.

Then in 1974 I was in a stationary store. There on the shelf was a First Edition 1971 New American Standard, reference edition. It's as if it had been waiting there for me.

That version has the references on the margins rather than center page. They include literal word translations and also variant readings from various manuscripts. No charts and maps so I bought those separately.

Most Christians ( I think ) don't consider any particular language as particularly holy. Even Roman Catholics use the common vernacular. Written Greek hasn't changed much in a very long time. I dare say, if a 1st Century Greek was talking around in Athens people might say "What? I don't understand you. Could you write that down?"

<< 1   >>

join