It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National ID card??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Sory if I put this in the wrong place. I wont be offended if you move it to where ever it is supposed to go.

Now they want to do away with drivers licenses and stick everyone with a National ID card to help fight the war on terrorism!!!

Conservatives, civil libertarians, gun owners and others share such concerns about a House-passed bill that broadly rewrites the rules for licenses and is portrayed as an anti-terrorism tool.

They fear that licenses, like Social Security (news - web sites) numbers, could be used for purposes well beyond their original intent.

These opponents say the measure, passed by a 261-161 vote last month and supported by the White House, even could make it possible for the government to monitor people's movements in the country through a chip in a license.

BUT IT IS UP TO THE STATES TO ACCEPT IT if they decide not to then they dont get anymore money for driver's license improvements. not very nice of them if you ask me.

Personaly, I dont like the idea at all. Dont get me wrong. I am all for protecting the country aginst Terrorists. However, I do not want to make it any easier for anyone to be able to track my every move, purchase, or my health. Im sory but this to me goes aginst the 4th amendment. THis just seems like a loophole around search and seziure.

If you want to put a stop to illegals in the country, and try to catch terrorists before they get in, then get a hold of the borders. Dont take away my rights!!!!!!!!!!!!

"In our efforts to protect our homeland and increase our border security we must move forward with solid measures. At the same time, our individual civil rights are nonnegotiable," Pombo said in a statement. "The establishment of a national ID card, I believe, has the possibility of violating those rights."

here is the link

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050228/ap_on_go_co/driver_s_licenses

[edit on 1-3-2005 by mrsdudara]

[edit on 1-3-2005 by mrsdudara]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
#1 Great Idea, about time we created a standard method of IDing people
#2 This has been posted a 100 times already

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
There had been a lot of talk about identity theft nowadays...

Here is the latest news...

'Bank of America loses customer data'
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
If you want to put a stop to illegals in the country, and try to catch terrorists before they get in, then get a hold of the borders. Dont take away my rights!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Um....A standardized ID card is not against your rights. You carry id right now, whats the big deal if its fits a national standard?

I think authorities should be able to positivly id people. People who take issue with allowing the law to know exactly who they are are suspect.

Example: I am 34 years old. On a daily basis NOBODY asks me for my ID. I could go weeks or even months without anybody asking or requiring to positivly id me. And for that one rare time here and there when I have to show it, I do not hesitate. I do this because I have nothing to hide, and I am generally not doing anything that causes the authorities to want to see my id.

Looking at me as an example, how is being required to have a national, standardized ID a violation of my rights? It simply isnt.

I think the people who are mostly against it, having something they need to hide.

top topics

join