It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on the Sun???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It turns out that scientists have been studying mysterious "tadpole-like objects" that seem to swim across the surface of the sun. Does this mean life could actually exist on the surface of sun, considering all the heat and radiation? Of course some scientists will try to rationalize these discoveries, but what if the answer is really simpler and much more elegant - another form of life?

Here are several paragraphs from the article on the reputable Science Daily website:

Solar Tadpoles Wave At Astrophysicists

Researchers at the University of Warwick's Department of Physics have gained insight into the mysterious giant dark "tadpoles" that appear to swim towards the surface of the Sun during solar flares - enormous energy releases happening in the atmosphere of the Sun.

The tadpoles - colossal physical structures with dark heads and attendant wiggly tails that seem to swim sunwards against tides of hot matter being thrown away from the Sun during flares - have puzzled astrophysicists for several years, as they are so unlike any other phenomena observed on the Sun.

Article

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
No, there is no live on the sun. At the end of the article, it states...

The understanding of the wiggles allowed the researchers to conclude that the tadpoles themselves are not material features, but optical illusions, as the solar matter is not falling down but is being continuously thrown upwards. The apparently descending tadpole head marks the falling start point of the matter's upward acceleration.

that answers that

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Well I always thought It could be theoritically possible.If anyone has read Space by stephen Baxter I think the star lichen or another type of bacteria or single celled organism would be possible.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Theoretically and physically impossible. Nothing would get even close to the sun without being fried into nothing.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Unless life could be a gas then I don't see how it would be possible. I don't think anything can remain in a solid or liquid state because of the sun's hot temperatures.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
Theoretically and physically impossible. Nothing would get even close to the sun without being fried into nothing.

Agreed if we are talking about our type of life.

What about some sort of pure energy being? All the heat and radiation might be just the right environment.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Well if there existed a pure energy being, then perhaps. But that's just getting too out there. I might as well say, well, if there were beings made of fire, they could survive. Silly isn't it

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
However, life do exist in extreme conditions...

www.resonancepub.com...

I would not be surprise if life existed on the Sun...

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The extreme conditions mentioned on that site are no where near the conditions on the sun. Think about it for a minute. The surface of the sun is 11,000 degrees F

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

The extreme conditions mentioned on that site are no where near the conditions on the sun. Think about it for a minute. The surface of the sun is 11,000 degrees F

sensfan:

This is meant to be a what-if thread to provoke thought and discussion on what is surely an unusual topic. For some reason you seem to be determined to CRUSH any discussion of the topic. Why do you seem to care so much about this?

[edit on 3/1/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
\
sensfan:

This is meant to be a what-if thread to provoke thought and discussion on what is surely an unusual topic. For some reason you seem to be determined to CRUSH any discussion of the topic. Why do you seem to care so much about this?

Calm down man, each to their own...

I personally believe anything is possible, but not everything is probable - in the case of life on the sun... I think highly improbable...

-Smokinjoe

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Sorry Centurion, I am not trying to crush any discussion on the topic. I'm just stating what I believe to be fact, nothing more. By all means, post your thoughts as much as you want, I'll do the same. That's what makes ATS so great :-)

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by slink
Unless life could be a gas then I don't see how it would be possible.

what if life could taker for as a gas? that going to be my next ponder...

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
The biggest problem with life on the Sun, IMO, is the idea of a barrier. Life exists by maintaining a state of disequilibrium with its immediate environment. In order for life to exist on the Sun, this requirement would have to be fulfilled. What type of barrier could separate this life on the sun from the immediate environment of the sun? This would also be the problem with the gas based life discussed earlier. How would the gas be in a state of disequilibrium with it's immediate environment? What type of barrier would work to sequester a gas in this environment.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
What about ghosts or souls, etc. If they exist, aren't they "alive"? Having no substance (that we can currently measure), wouldn't they likely be pure energy beings? That's what I was thinking of when I first saw this article.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
No, I don't believe that there is any "life" on the Sun. Granted that life can form in the most hostile environments. However, the Sun is just one big nuclear explosion 24/7. Nothing can surive the intense radiation and certainly not the heat. These "tadpoles" could be equal to finding images/faces in the clouds. The idea: if you look long enough at something, you can see almost whatever you want.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I have never thought about this but now that I have I would be really surprised if it was. I would rule it out, but I would think I would have better chances winning the lottery thrice in a row...

[edit on 1-3-2005 by edsinger]

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Theoretically and physically impossible.

Those were probably the exact words some Greeks said when someone smart said Earth was round and Sun was in the middle. And what Church told to Galileo, when he told moon had rough spots.

Better to have a open mind. The world around us is changing very fast and our values literally can amount to nothing by single discovery.

Surf

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
the sun is not a planet and has no surface it's only a ball of fusioning hydrogen nothing that we know of coudl possibly live on the surface but again we have only "visited" the moon and we do not know much of extraterrestrial life. I beleive that there could be life based on another element than carbon and that lfie-forms could therefore live in different conditions..

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I reckon its impossible. Every element we know of so far, cannot withstand those temperatures without being turnd into plasma, or atleast a very energetic gas. And no there are probably no other natural elements other than those on the earth, since all elements are produced from the sun.(that could withstand the temperature)
-how would this life harness the suns energy?
-how would it withstand the huge amount of gravity.
-how would it have been created in the first place, from the sun..?(if it was extraterestrial then it would die as it wuldnt have been created for suns environment.
- cant be made of hydrogen otherwise it would die from the fusion.
-cant be made from helium because it would die from helium fusion(and so on)
-Its just freakin impossible.

[edit on 2-3-2005 by quiksilver]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join