It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

asking to rent a room off someone you met 5 minutes ago... normal?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Met my current landlord during a sort of fluke conversation in a street where it was mentioned he was unsure who to choose from with two tenants offering a deposit. Offered him nothing but a promise that I would pay the rent on time but could not offer a deposit due to situations beyond my control. I offered a handshake whilst saying "trust your judgement". Moved in two days later.

Just over a year now, ive never missed a payment, never caused any bother and they have always been one phone call away if I needed them.

I think the person is just desperate for a home, having shelter is pretty much secondary to food and water. Sometimes we face circumstances that validate asking around and putting a bit of pressure on others for survival, don't be so quick to judge

Don't get me wrong here, not saying it always works out but it can.
edit on 15-3-2019 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   

The only "off"'part about it is the pressuring you said he's doing to one guy who already said no.

It's stressful to move to a new city of you don't have a place to live. It's stressful if you DO have a place to live. Yall are going to be his work family for the foreseeable future, so I'm sure he's just thinking there must be a camaraderie amongst his fellow work mates that would make them prone to help him.

Some people are completely lacking social graces, too. Some people can't read body language and social cues. You know, the people who are fine, but "odd." And if he's a PhD, the probability for oddness and lack of social intelligence goes WAY up.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
That's a lot of cringe at one time.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   
dude grabbed my backpack off the wall today

i hang my backpack with my # on the wall right above my cart.
he came in my office asking if i had a paper towel. i told him on the cart.

he picks them up. puts them down then grabs my backpack.

so thats nice

and today he was in the locker room washing his feet in the sink.

yesterday he was in the lunch room washing his hard hat off in the sink. you know the hard hat with lead particles on it.

right in the sink.

dude from the warehouse told him he cant be doing that and he just kept on.

so yeah. he is awesome

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

very strange indeed.
but the guy might really be desperate - i mean asking for something so important after 5 minutes can only point to desperation. Can't help him, but also feeling bad for him..
If he's Muslim (I prefer not assuming, since it's not really that important i guess), this might be something normal to ask another Muslim person. Maybe back in his country of origin, this kind of requests might also be normal...
Perhaps someone should take him to the side and explain that in Canada, such requests are seen as really weird as people don't really trust strangers.
Maybe he should talk to someone from the local Mosque (if Muslim) as the people there might be more willing to help him out. or some other group that specializes in helping foreigners.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I lived in a mining town for a while. In Australia.

A lot of guys would rent rooms in a house.

You'de get four blokes sharing a house.

Then there is "hot bedding". This happens in mine sites and city accommodation.
It's were two or three guys use the same bed, but they are all on different shifts.

So one gets out of bed and goes to work, one hops in and sleeps. The usually have there own bedding.

Miners can be incredibly stingy. I've known guys on big money to share a motel room. Four guys in a room. Sometimes they'll even share a double bed.

Washing his feet in the sink? Don't know guys that would do that, or put up with it, but I've heard of guys that # in another blokes boots and another guy rubbed his infected dick around the rim of his cup. They hated the guy because he stank.

I think Muslim's might wash their feet before prayer, could be wrong.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLoraxThen there is "hot bedding". This happens in mine sites and city accommodation.

It's were two or three guys use the same bed, but they are all on different shifts.

So one gets out of bed and goes to work, one hops in and sleeps. The usually have there own bedding.

Yuk. An adult human will put out up to 4 pints of moisture in any 8 hour sleep period. That's more than 10 gallons a week. A lot of that will be in and trying to evaporate from, the mattress.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join