It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

asking to rent a room off someone you met 5 minutes ago... normal?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
What do you think?

we got a new metallurgist at work Tuesday. about 5 minutes after meeting people he was asking if he could rent a room off them for $300 a month.

he is borderline pressuring one guy. i don't know why him.
he asked him a couple times and dude said no. he said the lease company wouldnt go for having someone stay there and the guy asked if he could put him on the lease.

hahahahahahha

i really do think it is innocent. it is just rubbing everyone the wrong way.

His name is Ossama so already people are doing the usual thing. he is from Egypt but has been in Canada since 03

very hard to understand.

i think it is innocent but i think it is very strange.

do you?

i mean if you know someone a while and all of a sudden you are outdoors and you ask if you could rent a spot for a little while that does not seem too strange. if you're friends.

but 5 minutes in??

the company put him in a hotel for 2 weeks.

what do you think?

strange or normal.

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Strange, but different culture. He may just be clueless about the Canadian way of doing things.

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Strange, but different culture. He may just be clueless about the Canadian way of doing things.

i'm with you

definitely think it is innocent.

it does not help that right way the foundry guys have an attitude against the guy because he is a Phd

they come in and shake it up.

before they even met him or knew his name it was F him.

then Ossama rolls through these foundry guys and starts asking to move in and put him on the lease and you can see where the talk is going.

i think he is innocent and simply does need a place to crash till he gets it together and sends for the wife.

the non cooperation is already happening though so it is going to be a rough summer.

this guy is not going anywhere. we are about to ramp it up. the Doc, our current metallurgist is leaving in two months then it is just the new guy.

i have a feeling things are going to suck.

besides the point.

just wanted to know if you think its weird.

i am with you schuyler

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I don't know, personally, the longer I've known someone the LESS likely I would be to rent a room to them.

So the guy might actually be on point on this one.

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
I don't know, personally, the longer I've known someone the LESS likely I would be to rent a room to them.

So the guy might actually be on point on this one.

oh dont get me wrong i would never rent a room to anyone.

i just wouldnt think it so strange if a dude i was kinda buds with for 5 years asked.

answer is always no

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I wouldn't want to rent a room to anybody I haven't known for a long time and trust. It's hard to have to crack open a basement floor and then reseal it lol. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I have never rented a room to anyone.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
A closed mouth doesn't get fed.

I would ask if I was in need. The worst that can happen is getting a no for an answer... or someone thinking it's odd you're asking when in need.

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Is the company pressuring him to find a place to live?

I can't see how in the hell anyone would ask someone if they could move in with them only meeting them 5 minutes ago.
Seems pretty weird to me.

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
A closed mouth doesn't get fed.

I would ask if I was in need. The worst that can happen is getting a no for an answer... or someone thinking it's odd you're asking when in need.

asking is one thing

asking to get put on the lease is different

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Is the company pressuring him to find a place to live?

I can't see how in the hell anyone would ask someone if they could move in with them only meeting them 5 minutes ago.
Seems pretty weird to me.

company got him a hotel for two weeks

after that he is on his own i guess

i am sure he is drawing a nice salary.

you can get weekly rates at hotels and there are affordable studio type apartments around.

his wife is in canada still so he needs a spot for a little while until he can get a permanent thing going and bring her along.

i have to think on a metallurgist salary he could pick up one of those spots.

not sure
like i said

its an innocent thing but everyone thinks it is pretty strange.

would be different if there was like a flyer in the commons asking about a studio or a room.
thats like in general.

but he is not asking people if they know a place.

he is asking if he can rent off them
comes off weird

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Im not sure of the industry your in but in mine - Mining, our Metallurgist makes bare minimum $160,000.00 CDN. starting salary.

Not sure where you are located either, but he should be able to afford an apartment any place on earth with that salary.

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   
That's like asking someone to move in with them after a first date....just strange

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Probably innocent...Where he may be from, it could be commonplace.

Conspiratorially, since he could obviously afford a nice apt or home on his own...he could also be 'in hiding' from Egyptian government agency hit men...and not want his name to be associated with a particular address.

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Very strange. I`d never go for it.

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Im not sure of the industry your in but in mine - Mining, our Metallurgist makes bare minimum $160,000.00 CDN. starting salary.

Not sure where you are located either, but he should be able to afford an apartment any place on earth with that salary.

He is up there
Dude has the credentials

Authored 12 papers

Worked in a few research departments

Another reason why it is off putting

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

It's happened up here in AK often. Somebody gets hired on from the Lesser 48, gets up here and looks for a place the week before they start their job, learns how scarce rentals can be here in Anchorage and how ridiculous rental prices are, and on their first day actually in the office they ask folks if they know anyone who is renting a MIL house or single room they can lease out until they find more permanent solutions. I assume Canada is similar, so it's entirely possible he is doing something he saw a lot of in Canada and thinks it's the same in the Lesser 48.

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I don't think it is weird at all.
In some of those cultures it is a lot more common to "haggle" for a better word for all business than
what we do in the US.

How most people live in the world is so much different too. Many families live with three generations under a roof.
Maybe some extended family and friends. America used to be like that, but we have really changed.

He was also offering people money, so it shows he doesn't want to just bum around.

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Ya it makes zero sense...
Unless he is a really cheap penny-pinching b-stard!
and there are people who are like that.
The type that buy two-ply TP and separates it into 2 rolls hahaha

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 15-3-2019 by DoctorBluechip because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Are all metallurgists dumb? Had he just put a 'room wanted' ad on the notice board, he would have been less likely to antagonise people by asking directly? Anybody actually open to it or who rent out rooms anyway, could contact him, privately instead of some newby pressuring them at work?

Weird, maybe but I think likely spectrumated.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join