It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I defeated Straight Talk Wireless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I bought my current phone from Wal-Mart last fall after my Galaxy S6 broke and got a pay as you go which I really like. I really like them because you can run WiFi hotspot and connect via a PC or in my case, a laptop HDMI to a very large television with a wireless keyboard and mouse. For some inexplicable reason, I still use a desk for the keyboard and mouse and sit in a chair but theoretically I could be lounging in the bed and do so when I'm watching internet TV channels on Pluto TV, movies downloaded via torrent, youtube, or netflix when I used to have it. If I wanted to, I could "jailbreak" an Amazon Fire TV add-on to plug into the TV by changing settings and downloading files and use it via the hotspot like a wireless router.

I'd get the $55 unlimited data card and use it like an overpriced Verizon internet and phone package minus the admittedly excellent television channels that I miss and would watch right now but I'd never watch back then because I was using my TV as my computer monitor and would've had TV on as traditional background noise and occasional few minute distraction. This time however, when I re-activated my phone after it had been dead for a week, the hotspot mysteriously didn't work after I had paid $55.

I thought it was a setting on their end so I called and was told by an annoying asian lady that repeats the same lines read off of a paper or screen that Straight Talk doesn't offer and never has offered hotspot. I explained that I had it for months. I said oh, so I wasn't supposed to have it but it took them a few months to notice? She also said some stuff about them capping people's data to save the rest of their data for the remainder of their time for the plan or some nonsense which I thought was odd and had nothing to do with me. I replied that I just bought it today, what does that have to do with anything? Maybe it was her way of saying I used too much data on "unlimited" the previous month.

I did some looking around and found usb tethering in android settings but it was disabled. I saw a youtube video on the phone suggesting an app that you install on your phone as well as your pc, turn on for both, after unlocking developer mode in android by tapping the android build # 7 times in the about phone section. Sounds silly but it worked and I enabled usb debugging which allowed the app to work. You plug your phone into a usb port on the pc to charge except it also shares the data connection. Hotspot burns battery anyway, so this is actually better because you stay at 100%.
edit on 3/13/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I improved my Android phone, by smashing it with a hammer. It was the last cell phone that I had been chained to, and I don't regret it one bit.

Now, I have no cell phone bill whatsoever.

Life hack 10/10

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I improved my Android phone, by smashing it with a hammer. It was the last cell phone that I had been chained to, and I don't regret it one bit.

Life hack 10/10

I have to have one now for work, but when I'm done working I am going to cut it into tiny little pieces with a tile cutter I have and make a necklace out of it.

It's called a cell phone because that's exactly what it is...

A cell.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: madmac5150

Life hack 10/10

I have to have one now for work, but when I'm done working I am going to cut it into tiny little pieces with a tile cutter I have and make a necklace out of it.

It's called a cell phone because that's exactly what it is...

A cell.

Yeah, I beat that sucker like it owed me money.

It was the best Christmas ever.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

Not that I love Apple but my iPhone did this without any hacks.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I feel like a savage.

I feel accomplished like I did when I was 15 and had cracked an employee AOL account I could scroll with without being kicked offline or when I made my first punter WiTH CooL CaPS. iT WaS a bad time for the Empire.

We still have our small victories. Look at my join date. Things have been lining up strangely in my life lately, and not good things necessarily but "just enough at the right time" kinda things. Whatever it is tried to keep me from my anniversary.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:04 PM
link   

As someone who has tried to get wired internet in my home for years, I believe I know which program you are referring to. Using the usb cable while at 100% will quickly degrade the battery. If your pc supports 5ghz wifi, Using the connect wifi option in the program may be a better option.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Jason79

I get what you're saying, but the service provider in question has my wifi hotspot ability to allow another device to use data from the plan disabled on their end, along with bluetooth internet sharing, and claims through outsourced customer cue card service that wifi hotspot use was never a part of the service they offer, that me having used it from 11/18 through 02/19 was a fluke that was noticed.

It does say in the fine print that after 60gb of data within 30 days, they reserve the right to review your account. I guess this was all a nice way of saying if you go over 60gb, we're going to permanently block your phone's ability to broadcast data via wifi hotspot, even next month or three months from now, based on your phone's id. Last month I was 83gb or so but that's from mostly youtube and videos on news website articles that I never disabled.

By usb tethering, I'm also charging the phone at the same time because it's set to usb charge mode while tethering simultaneously. A sim card for a different service would fix it.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I'll try to explain myself better. It's not using the phones hotspot, it turns on the phones wifi like you were connecting your phone to a home network or public wifi to save mobile data. Except with the program running the pc uses the mobile data.

posted on Aug, 11 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I'm having the same problem with Straight Talk
they told me that I could use my phone as a hotspot but after amonth they turned it off. After several calls I finally got someone that told me it against there terms. I read your post and I'm going try that. Can you tell me what app you downloaded ?

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Funny I have the same issue tried different apns still no help I used my hot spot for online gaming and movie streaming on my tablet they shut me off about a week ago I been in my feelings ever since that's my online internet..I never paid for home internet

top topics

join