It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arkansas Senator plays race card over amending state self-defense laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Democratic Sen. Stephanie Flowers goes off on a rant during a committee being held on gun control. Apparently she believes too many black men are killed under "stand your ground" laws.

www.arkansasonline.com...
edit on 13-3-2019 by Anathros because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Anathros

So she's pissed too many law abiding citizens are defending themselves, and that those that are being killed are mostly black.....

So she's upset that most criminals are black?

I mean, that is pretty much what she's saying.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   
LOL

But she means well 😆

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

So she's pissed too many law abiding citizens are defending themselves, and that those that are being killed are mostly black.....

Yeah, she's basically against the idea of self defense because it's somehow racist. It's the worst argument for gun control I've ever witnessed.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Apparently she believes too many black men are killed under "stand your ground" laws.

How does she figure that ?

Drive by shootings isn't standing your ground.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

If you defend yourself from an attacker that happens to be black, then you are racist.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If you defend yourself from an attacker that happens to be black, then you are racist.

That's the new democratic line, it seems.

If a non white person comes into your home with a knife and demands you hand over your wife and daughter for their personal sexual use, saying no is racism. Shooting them doubly so.

Idiots.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Yes. She is saying that criminals have the right to come into your property without consequence.
Kinda sounds like her son is a bad guy by the way she is talking.
Like will Smith said...dont start nothing, wont be nothing

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Personally, I'm not racist.

So I'll shoot anyone that breaks into my home and intends to do me harm.

Any color, race, religion, sexual orientation. All are equal in the eyes of sam colt.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Just wanted to add that she's from Pine Bluff, Arkansas. It's primarily black and the murder capital of Arkansas despite being the 10th largest city.

It was ranked 10th for most dangerous cities of 2019 with a 1 in 54 chance of being the victim of a violent crime. This lady is against the idea of law abiding citizens being able to defend themselves because the criminals are typically black males.

www.neighborhoodscout.com...
edit on 13-3-2019 by Anathros because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anathros
Just wanted to add that she's from Pine Bluff, Arkansas. It's primarily black and the murder capital of Arkansas despite being the 10th largest city.

It was ranked 10th for most dangerous cities of 2019 with a 1 in 54 chance of being the victim of a violent crime and this lady is against the idea of law abiding citizens being able to defend themselves because the criminals are statistically black..

www.neighborhoodscout.com...

Wow....shocking....not really though.

If she wants to do actual good, address the underlying cultural issues and stop projecting blame onto others. But that would require intelligence. So probably easier to blame someone else.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Someone needs to tell that idiotic Senator that it's not that wise to embody the sentiment behind what was, at the time, a hoaxed image.

Then again, as I have chosen to do moving forward, I have to look at Arkansas Senate District 5's voters and shake my head in embarrassment for them and who they have selected as their representative, the person who embodies their values and intelligence levels. The little town of Alma is in her district... www.roadsnacks.net... Despite only having 5,700 residents, it is the 5th most dangerous city in Arkansas

The tiny town of Alma might not be familiar to most residents of Arkansas. Alma has really seen crime rise very quickly in the last few years.

For instance, there were 51 violent crimes in the entire city. For a town of 5,699, that’s a lot.

Residents in Alma have a 1 in 16.6 chance of being the victim of a property crime, according to the FBI.

Of course the imbecile wants stricter gun control, her voter base is dying in self defense situations when they try to victimize their fellow citizens, steal their property, rape their neighbors, and generally run hilly nilly through the community. That said, her stupidity is very much a direct reflection on those who voted her into office to represent them in state government. Send some shame and scorn their way, where it belongs for such piss poor voting.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I have come to a conclusion on the urban male crime problem excuses.

People who defend the urban male crime problem as a product of policing, are under the false assumption that everyone in the world acts exactly like the urban male criminal when confronted by the police.

Here is an example; when an suburban male law follower gets pulled over by a cop while carrying a concealed weapon and does not end up deceased as some urban male criminals, the racist, urban male crime problem supporter automatically assumes the suburban male law follower is being treated differently by "racist" police.

What the racist, urban male crime problem supporter overlooks is that the suburban male law follower didn't run from the police, didn't assault the police, and didn't pull their concealed weapon on the police as their urban male criminal counterpart.

Why should we tolerate these ignorant view points when these racist, urban male crime supporters refuse to step out of their bubble and see their are many different segments of society without these problems?

edit on 13-3-2019 by SKEPTEK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: SKEPTEK

One of the biggest cultural splits, in the US, in my opinion isn't one of class or race. But urban vs suburban.

Totally different mindset, and only one of them is a toxic mindset rooted in that of "bigotry" and "racism".

One of the main reasons I'll NEVER live in a dense urban area. I mean no disrespect to those that do, but I view it as a matter of a basic intelligence level and a rejection of living like cattle round up in a pen of stupidity.

Thank god for commuting.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Completely agreed.

It's not a race problem even though it manifests itself that way.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I think we've found our new Maxine.

If she put so much effort into stopping crime in her hometown it probably wouldn't be so bad.

Exactly how many "Stand your ground" Fatal shootings have happened? How many have been White "Stand your ground " people shooting Black people?

How many people in Arkansas are killed by people who are illegally in possession of a gun?

The stand your ground type of shootings here in Metro Detroit have been Black homeowners shooting Black home Invaders. The Black Chief of Police in Detroit commends, not condemns citizens willing to defend themselves.

edit on 13-3-2019 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   

No. She is obviously upset with what she believes is a problem. She believes that white people are using the stand your ground laws to kill innocent black people.

I am a firm believer in the stand your ground laws. I live in florida so I have a voice here.

In order for me to agree with what stephanie clearly , passionately believes, I would need proof that a large proportion of innocent black men were being killed and that their murderers were using stand your ground laws to escape justice.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Stand your ground is an extension to self-defense, by definition. It does not apply to an attacker, only to one defending themselves. Self-defense is a legal remedy to murder. Murder is (highly) illegal, but if it is committed in self-defense, the murder charge is not applied as long as self-defense is proven (or indicated so strongly that the DA refuses to prosecute).

So, if there were indeed a problem with too many innocent black folk being killed by white folk using stand your ground laws, then the stand your ground laws are not being applied properly. That is not a problem with the laws; it is a problem with law enforcement, prosecution, or judicial prejudice. Does she call out the judges, DAs, or police?

I wonder why not...

TheRedneck

top topics

join