It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

May Suffers Second Brexit Defeat

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
So last night desperate Miss May went of to beg the EU for some more tweeks to the Brexit deal and Parliament have just voted on it and yet again, she has been defeated, again another embarrassing defeat for her government. Tomorrow the plan is now for a vote on "no-deal", the idea being that parliament will cast a vote on leaving with no deal, if parliament vote against no-deal then they will move to have a vote on Thursday for the transition period delayed extending the time frame for negotiation Brexit until after the 29th of March. In other words, it doesn't look like we will be leaving the EU on the 29th of March.

Interesting times in British politics....

Ohhh, lost be 149.

No wonder she is sounding a bit choked.

Link
edit on 12-3-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Wow, tomorrow she is giving her MPs a free vote on no-deal Brexit, thats a big of a surprise usually the whips are all over these kind of votes.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Remainers can laugh all they like in the knowledge that the government will blatantly rule out no deal but let me tell you... There will be anarchy in the streets like you have never seen if we extend it and/or ignore the referendum.

I will be locking myself safely indoors when the country starts to burn

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JPtruther

There will not be anarchy....

I really don't think that there is going to be massive widespread disorder if Brexit is extended.

There hasn't really been anything to indicate that in anyway, I mean yeah, you might get one or two idiots but I dont think London will be looking like Paris on Thursday when they vote to extend.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I really don't think that there is going to be massive widespread disorder if Brexit is extended.

There hasn't really been anything to indicate that in anyway, I mean yeah, you might get one or two idiots but I dont think London will be looking like Paris on Thursday when they vote to extend.

I hope your right,

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well, we are being carefully engineered by the EU and the Remainer MPs into an extension and a referendum number 2. The narrative of late has all been about negative politics and the potential for Brexit harm. There was even commentary on the Brexit damage to Crufts (yes, Crufts). This manta will lead into another referendum and (what some people want) a switch of the outcome.

No wonder people are turned off politics. At least May has been trying, eh?

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

3rd time's a charm?
If Brexit is a dud after all of this I wonder how the public will react. Interesting times...

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Its actually been my own experience that Brexit has been engaging people in politics, now its probably not the most popular engagement but its getting them interested, making them care, so sure our political establishment is basically broken right now but I do think its getting people more interested and engaged in politics rather than turning them off.

I think we need to wait to see what happens with this extension, we might not even get it even if we vote for it so lets take it one step at a time. a second referendum is still a long way off.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

That's because as a remainer you have literally no idea of the strength of abhorrence we have for you. No idea at all.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Dude, trust me, there will not be riots in the streets if the government and the EU agree to extend the Brexit timetable until after the 29th of March.

How about I come back to this thread on Friday after the vote and you can tell me how it went, see if am wrong.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Well, we are being carefully engineered by the EU and the Remainer MPs into an extension and a referendum number 2.

O, I wouldn't say that. You are being carefully engineered, indeed, but not by the EU. You are being engineered towards weakness by enemy states that are opposed to the EU. These enemy states are deeply (and rightfully) afraid of the EU's economical and political power and do whatever they can to weaken the EU. They use the media and their straw men to influence the rather dumb minority of your people that, like so many sheeple on this forum, are susceptible to fear of "foreigners", "immigrants" and "the Islam".

Ask yourself: "cui bono?" - not the UK, as they are now in the worst possible political situation: without a clue what to do and utterly divided amongst each other. Not the EU either, they loose one of their most respected members. Both will be off worse, that is for sure.

So, it's quite simple: look whom are benefitting from all this. THEY are engineering this situation, not the EU nor the UK.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I'm very surprised, given the amont of Brexiter's vitrol
that people haven't already taken to the streets
the Iraq 'jaunt' created the biggest demo that we'd seen

Why aren't Brexiters taking a lead from the Gilets Jaunes ?

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

How about I come back to this thread on Friday after the vote and you can tell me how it went, see if am wrong.

March 29th.
Parliament Square.

See you there?

Demonstrations planned in most towns and cities the length and breadth of the UK.
Of course this isn't receiving much publicity....but they are happening.

And I'd be amazed if counter-demonstrations weren't being planned too.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I would mate but am on the night shift

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
Demonstrations planned in most towns and cities the length and breadth of the UK.

Demonstrations or celebrations?

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Did permanent night shift for nearly 12 years.
Loved them at the time but looking back there were a bit of a pain in the arse.

I just think that irrelevant of viewpoint this is the one time we have a moral duty to express our disgust at our politicians and their serial mishandling of this whole debacle.

Of course I want to push for Brexit but I think its of paramount importance that we let these arseholes know that they are answerable to us, the people, and they have failed spectacularly in their duty.

edit on 12/3/19 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Being an American, I'm not well informed on the intricacies of this situation.

I don't understand why this is so complicated.

Is it fear of retaliation from the EU?

Can someone briefly explain why it's not possible to just say bye bye?

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Depends on one's viewpoint - do you think a watered down sell out version of Brexit that offers the worst of both worlds or an extension with a view to second referendum is a good or bad thing?

Both are a failure to enact the result of the EU referendum in my personal opinion.

So I guess I'll be demonstrating.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

Basically the argument is that leaving without a deal would be a total disaster even the hardest of the hardcore Brexit supporters the ERG agree that it would be best to leave with a deal rather than no deal.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

Is it fear of retaliation from the EU?

Do you know anything of our history?

Really, as if.

Can someone briefly explain why it's not possible to just say bye bye?

Very good question.
If only our politicians saw it as we do.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join