It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daylight Saving Time forever?... Trump suggests a stop to changing the clocks

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Because computers set the clocks back or forward automatically I often forget or not care about the day light savings. So long as I wake up at the right time which I do thanks to the automatic system, it doesn't affect my life in any way.
Except perhaps that nights are now shorter and I really enjoyed sitting in the car, looking up at the stars.

the kitchen clock and my cars clock do need to be manually adjusted though.
edit on 12-3-2019 by StrangeQuark96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I thought there was a state or two that don't abide by DST so I looked it up and apparently Arizona does not. I thought Indiana as well but that ended in 2006. So I suppose states themselves can indeed set their own regulations. I haven't looked too much into it but I would love not to "spring forward," I like waking up in the morning to it being sunny and as another member stated, people are out and about later and in my 'hood that means more urban noise.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Make it happen, captain. He just might get my vote if he pulled this off.... my girlfriend would kill me.

Changing the clocks twice a year might just be the dumbest thing an entire nation has ever agreed to.

You're not getting extra daylight, you're just waking up and starting your day earlier. Stop fooling yourself, it makes you look dumb as hell.

If you want more daylight hours, wake up with the sun... don't make everyone re-adjust their internal clocks to adapt to this nonsense just because you can't handle having control of your own schedule.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   
If anything, fall back to Standard Time and stay there. Arizona and Hawaii have it right.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Daylight savings time year-round is just shifting time zones.

Daylight time is essentially being in the time zone east of you.

I prefer noon to happen around noon, not a hour later.

Like the extra hour of light? Then find a job that you go in an hour earlier and get out an hour earlier.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I would miss National Nap Day (first Monday after D.S.T. clock change).

Got in some good snoozes yesterday!

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: markovian
www.inc.com...

www.nytimes.com...

And changing a man made number does not give you more daylight

It does wreak havoc on people's sleep and cause a lot more problems than it solves considering the time the sun goes down does not effect the modern world at all

So you're telling me that changing a man made number can kill you and stress you out and make you late because you didn't change your own man made number, but it can't give you more daylight?

That's funny, because before the change, it would be dark at 5:30, but now it's not dark until 6:30.

Yes actually that's exactly what I saying

Are you implying that changing a clock somehow made more daylight

mentalfloss.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I'm in Canada, but I'm all for this.

One thing that is depressing as heck is getting up for work and it's pitch black outside at 7 am. I feel so much better when I wake up and it's light outside. Summer up here is awesome when the time is back to normal. It's light enough for pretty much any activity until well after 10 pm. And it never does get full on dark either. It's awesome.

If he does manage to get this changed, I hope Canada follows suit.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Please make this a reality. Alaska voted to end the time changes a few years ago and Juneau decided to ignore the will of the people and reject the bill thanks to a handfull of stuffed suits in NYC who whined about how that would make Alaska 5 hours off East Coast time and claimed it would adversely impact our financial businesses up here. Piss on that nonsense! The time change literally is pointless for us up here... the sun doesn't come up until after 10 AM in the winter and it's dark before 4 PM and in the summer we're broad daylight at 4 AM and the sun kinda goes down around 12:30 AM, meaning the clock changes don't actually do anything for us aside from inconvenience us all for no good reason.

As an aside, to those saying the Dems will vote against it just because Trump supports it, I'm not sold on that point. The environmental-bots, particularly those who have swallowed the AGW hoax poison pill, have always been huge supporters of the clock change in the name of energy conservation. They'll oppose any elimination of the time change overs, obviously, but they'd oppose them regardless of whether Trump proposed it or not. That's just part of the lunacy the Global Warming cult fills their congregants' heads with.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
If you are going to stop it meet in the middle so it is a half hour. Change the man made construct of time by a half hour could change the world as we know it. I also agree with changing to the 28 day theory so paycheck and such would be consecutive. The superstition of 13 is stupid, as technically there were 13 disciples.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   
23 People work work for me. This morning, 9 Were on time. I bought them breakfast.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I've always heard Daylight Savings Time was "so the farmers could work in their fields longer," but when it comes time to plant and harvest, farmers work with lights and big machines 24/7, so daylight hours don't mean anything to them anymore.

I've also read that it takes people up to six weeks to really get reorient themselves to the time shift.

Who is in charge of time and can change this? Dr. Who?

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Trump can suggest it, but it is up to the states to change it. I can almost guarantee that since Trump suggested it, it will never happen in Democratic states because Democrats do exactly opposite what Trump thinks is a good idea, lets watch and see if I am right. We now have a Democratic governor and I would bet since Trump thinks it is a good idea, along with the vast majority of the people in the state, she will veto it.

Trump is simply agreeing with an idea that has bills in several state legislatures, both D and R. He did not claim to SUGGEST it. He just agreed with others who are proposing it.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I hate getting up in the dark!!!!
And permanent daylight savings time would make it DARK to about 9AM where we live.....so NO!

I would be in favor of permanent no savings time....IOW....the time we have from October to March....ALL year round.

BTW.....I think this time adjustment is some kind of BS put out by someone with an agenda.
Takes about a day to adjust.....
edit on Tue Mar 12 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
My vote is to leave the time forward. I get better use of the day with the extra light in the evening.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   
All you partisan people over this are ridiculous. Who cares that Trump said this. This isn't a left vs right issue. Calif already voted that we want ditch daylight savings time. Or at least as much as we could vote on it, which just meant we voted on possibly eliminating it. So thanks for getting on board Trump, kind of, I guess.

I bet it will more be an issue of old people that like to get up really early vs every one else who enjoys the late sun.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   

MAGA

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
the only time i cared about this was when i had to manually change the time on all the clocks in my house, but that hasn't been necessary for what, 20 years?
so doesn't this feel like an empty statement, or even worse, some kind of diversion?

Wow dude. You are seriously disconnected from reality. Do you have butlers and a chauffeur as well? You seriously just assume nobody has had "manual" clocks for about 20 years? You think they don't sell them anymore? You think some people don't prefer an analog to a digital?

A lot of microwaves, car stereos and others, although digital, do not change automatically for DST. And it forces people to either take their time sensitive, scheduled meds an hour earlier or later in order to keep their intake on a consistent schedule, or take them at the same "time" which will be an hour earlier or later (depending on if its spring or fall) and so, not consistent with the schedule their body has been on.

So...

doesn't this feel like an empty statement, or even worse, some kind of diversion?

I think your DST views stem from TDS. It feels like an empty statement or even worse, diversion, to you, because it came from Trump.

Take the exact same message, and have someone you approve of be the one saying it, and you would be applauding this a common sense idea long overdue and marveling at the sheer genius of the simplicity of it all, in that one person could do so much good with such a simple and obvious idea.

But because Trump said it, you literally are not capable of realizing millions of manual clocks still exist in operation everywhere, as well as digital clocks that do not change automatically. It's like that part of your brain containing that information was temporarily shut down in order to more easily facilitate the formation of a negative view of this statement by Trump. That is one example of the length you will go to maintain your worldview that Trump cannot do anything good. You will tell yourself that the following is sound logic "I haven't manually adjusted a clock for 20 years so that means pretty much nobody has" when in fact it is laughable.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
I hate getting up in the dark!!!!
And permanent daylight savings time would make it DARK to about 9AM where we live.....so NO!

I would be in favor of permanent no savings time....IOW....the time we have from October to March....ALL year round.

BTW.....I think this time adjustment is some kind of BS put out by someone with an agenda.
Takes about a day to adjust.....

We are retired, the wife likes to stay up late and get up at nine oclock. I cannot sleep once it starts getting light out, I am usually up at seven oclock in the morning or earlier. I am hoping that Day light savings time stays permanent so I can sleep longer in the winter. I gave up trying to get her to go sleep early, if she wasn't in their reading, I would be sleep before midnight so I could get some good sleep at night.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'm not particularly partial to either one more than the other, but I'm all for stopping the clock-changing BS. You're not gaining or losing any daylight hours. The speed of the Earth's daily revolution around doesn't change just because you dickered with the time on a clock. Hence, literally no time gained.

PICK ONE AND GO WITH IT, Jesus H Christ. It's not hard.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join