It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daylight Saving Time forever?... Trump suggests a stop to changing the clocks

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
the only time i cared about this was when i had to manually change the time on all the clocks in my house, but that hasn't been necessary for what, 20 years?
so doesn't this feel like an empty statement, or even worse, some kind of diversion?

Not in my opinion. People complain every time they set their clocks forward or backward an hour, depending on preference. It's been this way for years, why not end it all?

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
PLEASE LEAVE IT WHERE IT'S AT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But it will never happen because the dims will block it for some insane reason.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I was reading that heart attacks increase the week after the clocks change also ..

link   

originally posted by: PokeyJoe

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
the only time i cared about this was when i had to manually change the time on all the clocks in my house, but that hasn't been necessary for what, 20 years?
so doesn't this feel like an empty statement, or even worse, some kind of diversion?

IDK, i had to manually change the time on my coffee maker, oven, car stereo and microwave on Sunday morning. My phone and my PC automatically changed....thats about it really.

I had to change my wall clocks and car stereo. I haven't bothered with my coffee maker, oven, or microwave yet.

link   
a reply to: LSU2018

The Sunshine Protection Act was filed by Sen. Marco Rubio, who took the initiative a week after Florida’s legislature voted to make their state the nation’s first to adopt year-round Daylight Saving Time statewide — a change that can’t take effect unless Congress changes federal law.

Arizona does not observe daylight savings time. We don't change our clocks forward or backwards... we just have to remember everyone else does! So we are always MST.

And while others might enjoy that extra hour of sunshine, during the summer months we have MORE THAN ENOUGH!

So I'm gonna say "no, thank you."

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I've said it for years! Why ever switch back to less day light in the evening?

I knew an old timer once who refused to change his clocks but adjusted his schedule to meet the current time. That would take some discipline. I know another old timer today who prefers to leave it with shorter daylight at the end of the day.

I hope they go for it but I doubt they will!

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: UncleTomahawk
Would you rather spring forward forever of fall back forever?

I think spring forward but falling back has its advantages too so i am 50/50 on the issue.

I prefer springing ahead.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: LSU2018

The Sunshine Protection Act was filed by Sen. Marco Rubio, who took the initiative a week after Florida’s legislature voted to make their state the nation’s first to adopt year-round Daylight Saving Time statewide — a change that can’t take effect unless Congress changes federal law.

Arizona does not observe daylight savings time. We don't change our clocks forward or backwards... we just have to remember everyone else does! So we are always MST.

And while others might enjoy that extra hour of sunshine, during the summer months we have MORE THAN ENOUGH!

So I'm gonna say "no, thank you."

Yeah I'm a bit jealous over that. AZ is stuck on DST. I wanna be stuck on DST, too!

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It's not going to happen because people do not want to send their kids to school'/bus stops, etc. in the dark.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: PokeyJoe

Not all states do the time change. www.worldatlas.com...

Michigan didn't change to the idiotic time change till sometimes in the seventies I think.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: UncleTomahawk
Would you rather spring forward forever of fall back forever?

I think spring forward but falling back has its advantages too so i am 50/50 on the issue.

I prefer springing ahead.

We could also get rid of the Julian calendar.

13 months 28 days

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91
a reply to: Puppylove

I was reading that heart attacks increase the week after the clocks change also ..

Wife runs a funeral home it's been a busy week. Average one a week been 3 since Sunday. ?.?.?.?.?

edit on 12-3-2019 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: gernblan

originally posted by: rickymouse
Trump can suggest it, but it is up to the states to change it. I can almost guarantee that since Trump suggested it, it will never happen in Democratic states because Democrats do exactly opposite what Trump thinks is a good idea, lets watch and see if I am right. We now have a Democratic governor and I would bet since Trump thinks it is a good idea, along with the vast majority of the people in the state, she will veto it.

No. The change is Federal. The states can only ask.

The 14th amendment: repealed the 10th and nobody even noticed. The federal was never supposed to be more powerful than the startes. But, it is.
They passed that federal rule back in the sixties, Michigan didn't start till some time in the seventies, and a couple of states got out of the time change deal back in the sixties. I guess Michigan had an exemption they filed though.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

I believe it was introduced for more daylight in the evenings. I've also read that it's to help conserve energy as well. I live in Louisiana and even in the winter months, we can reach the high 60's. Those would be perfect days to wash my truck if it wasn't dark by the time I got home from work.

I always thought it was for kids going to school to give them more light. In the NW it gets dark by 1600 so for about 4 months I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. I would at least like a little light in the evening. Kids now do not walk a mile(s) to school as they did in days of old so a longer dark period in the morning is not a big deal to anyone.

edit on 12-3-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Basically it was for the farmers .

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Looking it up it seems it started as a way to save about 1% energy and to provide more light for travel from work/school preventing accidents, crime etc.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Farmers were always up at five thirty to milk the cows. The cows don't observe our time changes, they need to be milked on a schedule, one hour of time change can screw up so farmers need to get up at a different time or feather the milk time change or they won't get as much milk.

I grew up on a farm and knew people who had milk cows and cows can be pretty finicky about changes like that. If you feed them an hour late, you might get kicked in the head. They are worse than cats.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I have heard it was for office workers so they could have more light at work.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Daylight savings became popular during WW1 as a means to conserve fuel for the war effort.

It was the Germans who took it up at first, then followed by other European countries, the US, and many others.

I'm all up for permanent daytime savings, I love the late sunny evenings.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join