It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daylight Saving Time forever?... Trump suggests a stop to changing the clocks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   

U.S. President Donald Trump suggested Monday that he would be open to permanently keeping Daylight Saving Time just a day after several states bumped their clocks forward one hour.

“Making Daylight Saving Time permanent is O.K. with me!” Trump tweeted.

The Sunshine Protection Act was filed by Sen. Marco Rubio, who took the initiative a week after Florida’s legislature voted to make their state the nation’s first to adopt year-round Daylight Saving Time statewide — a change that can’t take effect unless Congress changes federal law.

Daylight Savings Time Forever?

I love this idea. I love having an extra hour of daylight. I don't like the lost hour of sleep but we adjust. It's worth it in my opinion. Hopefully this can be a nonpartisan issue and something most of America can get behind regardless of politics, as it holds no bearings on politics. Is this good or bad or meh?

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I love it too!

We call it "summer time" where I live, it's wonderful to be walking at 8PM still with a sunset.

Make The Sunlight Great Again!

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

U.S. President Donald Trump suggested Monday that he would be open to permanently keeping Daylight Saving Time just a day after several states bumped their clocks forward one hour.

The Sunshine Protection Act was filed by Sen. Marco Rubio, who took the initiative a week after Florida’s legislature voted to make their state the nation’s first to adopt year-round Daylight Saving Time statewide — a change that can’t take effect unless Congress changes federal law.

Daylight Savings Time Forever?

I love this idea. I love having an extra hour of daylight. I don't like the lost hour of sleep but we adjust. It's worth it in my opinion. Hopefully this can be a nonpartisan issue and something most of America can get behind regardless of politics, as it holds no bearings on politics. Is this good or bad or meh?

Finally! Why did it take so long for someone to propose this? I hate having to change my clocks twice a year, especially in the spring when I spend the next couple of days tired until my body adjusts.

Either get rid of Daylight Savings Time, or keep it all year, but please stop screwing with the clocks.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I think it would positively affect my 'winter blues'. Midwest winters are harsh enough. At least give me some sunshine to help me through it.

Possibly a good idea with the new hype over renewable energy? That is why is was created in the first place right? I'm not sure well read on the creation of Day Light Savings.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
www.inc.com...

www.nytimes.com...

And changing a man made number does not give you more daylight

It does wreak havoc on people's sleep and cause a lot more problems than it solves considering the time the sun goes down does not effect the modern world at all

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   
No more clock changing would be awesome. It causes all sorts of issues. Especially with my job as a home health aide. It messes with client pill dispensers that get stuck dispensing at the wrong time til a nurse can fix it. Confuses clients and can mess up their day. Etc.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Trump can suggest it, but it is up to the states to change it. I can almost guarantee that since Trump suggested it, it will never happen in Democratic states because Democrats do exactly opposite what Trump thinks is a good idea, lets watch and see if I am right. We now have a Democratic governor and I would bet since Trump thinks it is a good idea, along with the vast majority of the people in the state, she will veto it.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I would be perfectly ok with this, but only if we keep it at the "Fall Back" time. I honestly don't like the extended days, especially when you live in areas full of people, it just means there's less time to relax and enjoy the calm. I would much rather the sun set at 7pm than 8pm like many seem to enjoy.

I suppose in the end it would be good to just stop the changing of clocks, but at the same time.......damn all of you spring forward #ers. lol

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: headorheart

I think it would positively affect my 'winter blues'. Midwest winters are harsh enough. At least give me some sunshine to help me through it.

Possibly a good idea with the new hype over renewable energy? That is why is was created in the first place right? I'm not sure well read on the creation of Day Light Savings.

I believe it was introduced for more daylight in the evenings. I've also read that it's to help conserve energy as well. I live in Louisiana and even in the winter months, we can reach the high 60's. Those would be perfect days to wash my truck if it wasn't dark by the time I got home from work.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I was going to say that since Trump suggested it, just wait for a democrat bill that would require the clock changes every month.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
www.inc.com...

www.nytimes.com...

And changing a man made number does not give you more daylight

It does wreak havoc on people's sleep and cause a lot more problems than it solves considering the time the sun goes down does not effect the modern world at all

So you're telling me that changing a man made number can kill you and stress you out and make you late because you didn't change your own man made number, but it can't give you more daylight?

That's funny, because before the change, it would be dark at 5:30, but now it's not dark until 6:30.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
No more clock changing would be awesome. It causes all sorts of issues. Especially with my job as a home health aide. It messes with client pill dispensers that get stuck dispensing at the wrong time til a nurse can fix it. Confuses clients and can mess up their day. Etc.

I haven't thought about that. My grandma is on a pill regiment and never once did I think about how changing the clock would effect that. Great point.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Trump can suggest it, but it is up to the states to change it. I can almost guarantee that since Trump suggested it, it will never happen in Democratic states because Democrats do exactly opposite what Trump thinks is a good idea, lets watch and see if I am right. We now have a Democratic governor and I would bet since Trump thinks it is a good idea, along with the vast majority of the people in the state, she will veto it.

I hope not. Political games shouldn't play a part in any of this, regardless of who is in favor of it or not. But the thought of being partisan did cross my mind when I heard that Trump is in favor of it.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Actually I think you have that backwards. The states cannot move until the Federal Gov makes it a law.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
the only time i cared about this was when i had to manually change the time on all the clocks in my house, but that hasn't been necessary for what, 20 years?
so doesn't this feel like an empty statement, or even worse, some kind of diversion?

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile

I would be perfectly ok with this, but only if we keep it at the "Fall Back" time. I honestly don't like the extended days, especially when you live in areas full of people, it just means there's less time to relax and enjoy the calm. I would much rather the sun set at 7pm than 8pm like many seem to enjoy.

I suppose in the end it would be good to just stop the changing of clocks, but at the same time.......damn all of you spring forward #ers. lol

HEE HEE HA HA HO HO!!! Yeah we all have our preference. I can perfectly see why you're against the extended days. I live in the country so watching the sunset at 8:30 is as serene as it gets where I'm at.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
the only time i cared about this was when i had to manually change the time on all the clocks in my house, but that hasn't been necessary for what, 20 years?
so doesn't this feel like an empty statement, or even worse, some kind of diversion?

IDK, i had to manually change the time on my coffee maker, oven, car stereo and microwave on Sunday morning. My phone and my PC automatically changed....thats about it really.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

No. The change is Federal. The states can only ask.

The 14th amendment: repealed the 10th and nobody even noticed. The federal was never supposed to be more powerful than the startes. But, it is.

edit on 12-3-2019 by gernblan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
To be honest, I feel like my internal clock is back on schedule. I never adjust to daylight savings very well.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Would you rather spring forward forever of fall back forever?

I think spring forward but falling back has its advantages too so i am 50/50 on the issue.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join