It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Finds Racial Gap Between Who Causes Air Pollution And Who Breathes It

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Lumenari

Yeah, well. The study is about people in the US.

Racial–ethnic disparities in pollution exposure and in consumption of goods and services in the United States are well documented. Some may find it intuitive that, on average, black and Hispanic minorities bear a disproportionate burden from the air pollution caused mainly by non-Hispanic whites, but this effect has not previously been directly established, let alone quantified

www.pnas.org...

Sorry... I didn't realize that pollution only existed in the US.

Is that the continental US?

So this doesn't apply to you?

Yes, the study is only about the continental US. You could have read it, you know.

And, since whites are not the majority in Hawaii, I expect the results would differ if the study were conducted here. But our air pollution levels are very low anyway. Especially since the volcano stopped.

edit on 3/11/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

No, never been to China.

The study accounts for regional population differences. Within the continental US.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I do admire your persistence in keeping your ideology alive but I'm kinda feeling on this particular topic...

edit on 11-3-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   

No ideology, just providing information about what the study actually says.
Since you can't be bothered to actually read it for yourself.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I for one totally agree with the report.

The majority populations are causing havoc to the rest of the world environmentally. The Chinese majority and Indian majority, soon to be followed by the upcoming African majority, require forced "assistance" in meeting environmental target goals set by the minority populations of the globe, like the American minority.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   

come on, you know full well caucasions are 61% of the population in the USA.

This study is a sham and you know it.
edit on 11-3-2019 by BlueJacket because: boy has that changed

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:26 PM
link   
So lower income areas have more pollution than higher income areas....

Somebody actually had to do a study to figure that out?

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

come on, you know full well caucasions are 74% of the population in the USA.
I suppose that's why they are called the majority. What's your point?

This study is a sham and you know it.
Have you read it? What do you specifically take issue with?

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
So lower income areas have more pollution than higher income areas....

Somebody actually had to do a study to figure that out?

Nah... that part is obvious. They just wanted to blame on the white man though.

Funny thing is that when I drive through the hood I see trash all over the place. Apparently, the ku klux klan dumps all the suburban trash in the inner cities.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Yep, the report isn't about race, but rather economic strata. It's funny how the people behind the report had to toss race into the report rather than say what is going on.

After reading the report, I would say that due to the way it is worded, race baiting was the end result of this report and not telling the whole story. Kind of crappy.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The study is not about trash. It is specific to fine particulate matter air pollution. From industrial sources, power generation, transportation sources, etc.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I did read it. Frankly its an obvious distortion of facts. History, technology development, water and ability to grow food all play heavily into the discussion.

The study is being presented with a biased viewpoint. Its subtle but if you were intellectually honest...

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Yep, the report isn't about race, but rather economic strata.

It's about both. But are you saying that there is no correlation between economic status and race?

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Can I get that 1:35 back for that video, that was absolutely ridiculous and complete racist tripe! We all breath the same air that has been on the planet for at least a billion years. We all drink the same water that dinosaurs pissed in. Get a grip people!

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/11.2019 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Can I get that 1:35 back for that video,

There's a video?

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Can I get that 1:35 back for that video,

There's a video?

Yep lol. Check it out ;-) You too can waste 1:35.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   

In that case, your reply was to the wrong post.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Wealthy may be in a bigger house, but I'd venture that house is more energy efficient. May drive a nicer car, but I'd venture that late model car is more efficient than an older vehicle. Probably eat less fast food too, so not contributing that way...

Did you even consider the possibility that not everyone has their own house, car, and disposable income?

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Everyone creates air polution, our economy is the main culprit in creating air polution. If you buy anything, you add to pollution. The more you spend the more pollution is created. Governments push economic growth and spend lots of effort to try to get people to spend money, often money they do not even have yet, to make our economies look better in the world. This practice was set in motion by the elite and the heads of all governments, it is common practice which leads to a lot of environmental damage including us breathing the bad air.

We need power, even the poor do. When Welfare or government programs pays someone's electric bill and or heating bill, those low income people do not conserve, you will see their doors open in the winter around here because they do not have to pay the bill. I see lots of this, it is common. These people on assistance seem to think they are getting more benefit value if they waste. I do not think this area is unique, I think this is happening everywhere, the poor do not close the storm windows or take measures to stop waste if they do not have to conserve. The housing projects are plagued with waste.

The people who wrote this article have no clue to what is happening in this country, the poor are creating just as much pollution overall as the rich. Now the upper class, yes they do waste lots of energy in their huge houses, that is true, but the middle to lower middle class is not usually flying all over the world but they are driving to work, something the poor do not need to do.

I do not know who wrote the article addressed in the OP, but that information is fabricated. They want to tax the middle class, saying that the middle class is causing the problem, it is equally shared between all citizens. Remember, the people living in those low rent subsidized apartments often buy lots of junk to fill them up with too, Of course not all the poor are like that, but I would say thirty five percent abuse the system.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   

In that case, your reply was to the wrong post.

You're right, for some reason it came up xeuchen and should have been

a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Cheers - Dave

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join