It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado’s second case against Masterpiece Cakeshop and Jack Phillips crumbles

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   

The first time Colorado officials came after Jack, they ordered him to create cakes celebrating a view of marriage that conflicts with his faith. That six-year ordeal was laced with government actions disparaging Jack’s religious beliefs. It also included unequal treatment: Colorado punished Jack for declining to create cakes with messages that he cannot in good conscience express, while allowing other cake artists—those whose views the state likes—to do the very same thing.

Then, in a decisive 7-2 victory for Jack, the U.S. Supreme Court declared unconstitutional the state’s efforts to punish him, finding that the state acted with “clear and impermissible hostility toward [his] sincere religious beliefs.”

But shortly after Jack’s win, Colorado officials came after him again, seeking to force him to create a custom pink-and-blue cake celebrating a gender transition. The request for that cake came from a Colorado lawyer, and it came on the very same day that the Supreme Court announced it would hear Jack’s case during a phone call where the lawyer told the shop’s representative that another person was listening via speaker phone. It wasn’t what you would consider an ordinary request. Our legal team eventually proved that this same attorney called Jack at least one other time and requested a cake celebrating Satan’s birthday with an image of Satan smoking marijuana.

Colorado tried to use that attorney’s request for the gender-transition cake as the basis for prosecuting Jack again. Unwilling to sit back while the state turned his life upside down for another six years, Jack filed a lawsuit against the state officials intent on punishing him for living out his faith.

Colorado’s second case against Masterpiece Cakeshop and Jack Phillips crumbles

Seems the Colorado government doubled-down and tried to trap this guy a second time. All because they have a hate for his religious beliefs and for the Constitutions 1st Amendment protections itself!

Why do I say that? Well, this is why, they publicly stated as much:

That’s right—after the Supreme Court’s ruling, two of the current commissioners said publicly that they agree with a former commissioner’s comments declaring that religious freedom is a “despicable piece of rhetoric.” Once our legal team secured audio recordings of those statements (and added those to the Twitter post of another commissioner calling Jack a “hater”), Colorado’s legal attack fell apart.

I am not religious myself, but I will defend the right of those that are from government persecution. I think the SCOTUS called this one correctly, and these government representatives should be at a minimum forced to attend a religious acceptance class or be offered a chance to resign.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
these government representatives should be at a minimum forced to attend a religious acceptance class or be offered a chance to resign.

I disagree... they should be forced to pay his legal fees AND any punitive judgement awarded him out of their own accounts, including liquidation of assets, retirement/stock portfolios, childrens' college trusts, etc. Make them feel the same boot to their asses as they ridiculously tried to kick this small businessman with.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

these government representatives should be at a minimum forced to attend a religious acceptance class or be offered a chance to resign.

I disagree... they should be forced to pay his legal fees AND any punitive judgement awarded him out of their own accounts, including liquidation of assets, retirement/stock portfolios, childrens' college trusts, etc. Make them feel the same boot to their asses as they ridiculously tried to kick this small businessman with.

The problem with that is all that $$ came from the taxpayers. So, in essence, you are punishing the taxpayers, not them directly.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   

The problem with that is all that $$ came from the taxpayers. So, in essence, you are punishing the taxpayers, not them directly.

Re-read. I said out of their own personal accounts. That said, if the tax payers of Colorado were dumb enough to elect these idiots, then perhaps those taxpayers deserve a little pain for their hubris and stupidity as well. People learn through pain and suffering.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Try this bullsnip with Muslims, they at least won’t tolerate this nonsense against them. Not that the left would go after Muslims, because of racism and voting base

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Re-read. I said out of their own personal accounts. That said, if the tax payers of Colorado were dumb enough to elect these idiots, then perhaps those taxpayers deserve a little pain for their hubris and stupidity as well. People learn through pain and suffering.

I did read it. Those "personal accounts" have money from their work paycheck, which is, (wait for it) paid for by the taxpayers.

My statement stands.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I did read it. Those "personal accounts" have money from their work paycheck, which is, (wait for it) paid for by the taxpayers.

My statement stands.

It isn't a very good statement then, since it is these bigot's personal funds and property now.

Let them feel the hurt... I agree.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

My statement stands.

It isn't a very good statement then, since it is these bigot's personal funds and property now.

Let them feel the hurt... I agree.

And, I ask you, where did these personal funds originate? From the taxpayers....all taxpayers on all points of the political spectrum. I would, however, agree with charging them with breaking their oath of office to uphold the Constitution. And, to prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law allowed for that infraction. Including, never being allowed to hold public office again....ever.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

With your logic I could argue that the five dollar bill in my wallet which was once paid out by a bank to a man who cashed a check that came from tax payer money, which he then spent at the store and which I got as change is still considered tax-payer money. I can't say most would agree with you on this one.

Aside from that, this is a disgusting display. Far more offensive to me than not making a cake because it goes against one's religious views. They are abusing power and tax-payer money. I lived in Colorado for 7 years and I sure as snip would never have supported my tax dollars going to something as frivolous, asinine and just utterly stupid as this.
edit on 3/12/2019 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Just out of curiosity, when did tax money pay for any attorney outside of public defenders?

I'm pretty confident these lawyers take on these cases on the estimated results of the return from the lawsuit...
edit on 3/12/2019 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Dig in your heels man. Lol.

Personal means just that, despite provenance.

top topics

join