It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Anomaly...Again!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Certainly looks like it is some sort of fabricated metal fragment to me. But it also could be from a piece of our own equipment possibly?

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: lunarcartographer

Thank you for bringing a more experienced viewpoint than I can offer.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: toolgal462
Certainly looks like it is some sort of fabricated metal fragment to me. But it also could be from a piece of our own equipment possibly?

I am still inclined to think it is man-made and it would be good if we could deduce the where's and when's of how it got there. Have NASA missed this, do they actually scrutinise their images, do they have a better image than they have released or do they already know what it is and don't consider it important?

For me, it's the sense of it being out-of-place that is really intriguing.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   
As I mentioned at first, I thought bracket, but the more pics I look at of rocks drilled by the rover, I think it's just a rock that has been drilled. I believe the pic is taken at such an angle that it just isn't showing the dust well. The lighting on the object is very flat with little definition. The hole diameter looks to be the exact same size of every pic I can find of holes drilled by the rover.

There is also high winds on Mars that could have blown the dust off. Mars has major dust storms that can even be seen by telescope.

Hopefully NASA will speak up because the object is being talked about by others on the net.

Here's a lil info with a link to the original panorama photo in the story.

mysteriousuniverse.org...

Panoramic pic.
www.gigapan.com...
edit on 13-3-2019 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: fromtheskydown
Have NASA missed this, do they actually scrutinise their images, do they have a better image than they have released or do they already know what it is and don't consider it important?

They way they conduct their research with Curiosity, they're primarily interested in drilling into rocks to see if there was any water in them at some point. If they see something that might be considered unusual, biological or artifactual, they will gloss over it, bury it in a yellow background, and get back to their mission. It's not their job to find artifacts or fossils, so they mostly ignore them and hope nobody notices.
edit on 13-3-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

That's pretty spot on, I also think we're not going to hear anything from the MSL team regarding life on Mars. Habitability is a different matter, we're hearing a lot about that because it's part of the official mission.

If at all, the Mars 2020 rover might reveal hints of past life on Mars to some extent. But I'm almost sure it'll take ages and a few launch delays before we get to hear anything substantial through officiall channels.

I always hope I'm wrong, but I feel that this is how things will play out...

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   
It is a Strut for a track the small hole holds the tie rod the big hole holds the ball joint the bend is there to make it easer to aline the tires .
Looks like marchians love ford trucks ( who would have guessed )
PS like this chevy part ( except the one in the photo is from the early 1980s or late 1970s
www.carparts.com...

edit on 13-3-2019 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

without the balljoint already in the part there is a big hole there
edit on 13-3-2019 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
It is a Strut for a track the small hole holds the tie rod the big hole holds the ball joint the bend is there to make it easer to aline the tires .
PS like this chevy part ( except the one in the photo is from the early 1980s or late 1970s
www.carparts.com...

Someone else posted that pic or one similar in the comments section of one of the links I provided. It's not even close unless you can find a rover pic that would use that part, It's not from curiosity for sure. Mars rovers are well documented with pics, so if it is from a rover, it should be easy to find.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   
who said anything about a rover I said its a front strut from a truck lol
even posted a link showing one such strut .
So marchians came her bought a ford back in the 1980s took it to mars then took it apart but by then that model was out of production and they could not get replacement parts for it .

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
www.carparts.com...

No, you said it was "a strut for a track". I assumed you were talking tank style tracks. No harm, no foul

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The Martian atmosphere consists of approximately 96% carbon dioxide, 1.9% argon, 1.9% nitrogen, and traces of free oxygen, carbon monoxide, water and methane, among other gases

en.wikipedia.org...

Anything that degrades because of oxygen, will last indefinitely on Mars. Not much oxygen at all. But on the other hand, add some water and trees will go wild.....

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
a reply to: mtnshredder

I don't think the hole was drilled by the rover, as we don't see any dust around it like on the other rocks. Also, I think that drilling what looks like a small rock would have rotated or dislodged the rock, and we don't see any sign of that on the sand under the rock.

In fact, that sand is another thing that supports the ventifact theory, as it suggests a local change in direction of the winds caused by the rock.

Someone in a blog brought up that there appears to be a small pile of dust below and slightly to the left of the object. They also thought they could see dust in the hole. I have to agree that all the small pebbles around the object seem to be obscured below the object as if dust is covering them. In the hole there seems to also be dust because its on a more level plane than what the actual hole is.

My curiosity has the best of me on this one. There's not much info on the web on it besides speculation. It has my interest though, LOL.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Why would Nasa allow clips like this ?
Is it a slow drip feed of information so our brains don't overload ??

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: OwenTrousers

No, it's just a rock.

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: All Seeing Eye

But on the other hand, add some water and trees will go wild.....

Pretty danged chilly.

And, though the atmosphere is mostly CO2, there isn't much of it. The atmospheric density on the surface is like that at 100,000 ft on Earth.

So, no. No wild plant growth. It also makes "adding water" somewhat problematic.

edit on 3/14/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   

No, it's just a rock.

I'm not saying it's a rock for sure because who knows for certain. I'm definitely leaning that way though. If you look at the far right closeup pic and enlarge, you can clearly see that the object is a few inches thick, not flat like it looks in the other pics. It's also very jagged on the left side where it looks like there's a smaller bracket attached to it.

Enlarged there isn't an edge on it that looks machine cut with the exception of the hole.

Pending on when it was drilled, they have stabilizer points on each side of the drill that would hold it steady, they had a malfunction in the stabilizers so they extended the drill and now drill without the two stabilizer points. They solved this in lab and then modified remotely.

After suffering more than a year with a broken drill, NASA’s 5-year-old Mars rover Curiosity is now collecting and analyzing samples once again.

After testing their techniques on Earth, engineers saw their solution also works on Mars when they penetrated a couple inches into a Red Planet rock named “Duluth” in May.

Engineers call the new technique “feed extended drilling.” It works by pushing the drill bit inches past the stabilizer bars that keep the rover steady. NASA says the new technique works more like a human leaning on a wall to steady themselves as they work.

www.astronomy.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I value your opinion on these subjects. What are your thoughts on the object?

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

A rock.
Albeit an interesting rock. It might make a good paperweight. Unless, of course, it's just the visible bit of a boulder.

Meteorite?

Thanks for the compliment.

edit on 3/14/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Thanks for your input.

posted on Mar, 15 2019 @ 05:04 AM
link   

No, it's just a rock.

Unfortunately it maybe just that. The circular hole is very similar to others drilled by curiosity, down to the slight lip of debris around the hole itself. Difficult to see exactly in the pictures, but I believe it has been drilled. Doesn’t take away from the countless other anomalies which are not rocks.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join