It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First smoke of the year

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Brisket is like an addiction, truly an art form, but very difficult to get just right. Everyone else will think it's delicious, but in the back of your mind you're thinking about quitting your job and focusing on getting it "just perfect". You'll never be satisfied. It's like a quest. I've been doing them for 20 years and I'm still not satisfied...or anywhere even close.

Trust me, it will make you crazy. It will consume you. It will have you talking to inanimate objects, having conversations even! And paranoia? Oh MAN!!

You had me at addiction!

Brisket is coming soon, I'm going to make a thing of it and invite a party of my peers so that afterwards I can punish myself for serving them a less than adequate product (at least by my standards), only to let myself question every construct that I define myself by till find sweet, sweet redemption.

It may take years, even decades... But my life will forever be incomplete until one day I serve adequate brisket to my peers.

Then starts the quest for perfection.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

He might as well have told you to cook a Narnia porkchop.

I've had those.... They're great.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

He might as well have told you to cook a Narnia porkchop.

I've had those.... They're great.

Not nearly as good as the North Pole Reindeer tomahawks!

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Looks really good! I always love doing sausages in the smoker, but I feel kind of guilty sometimes though. They're so easy to do, yet so good...seems like cheating.

Brisket is like an addiction, truly an art form, but very difficult to get just right. Everyone else will think it's delicious, but in the back of your mind you're thinking about quitting your job and focusing on getting it "just perfect". You'll never be satisfied. It's like a quest. I've been doing them for 20 years and I'm still not satisfied...or anywhere even close.

Trust me, it will make you crazy. It will consume you. It will have you talking to inanimate objects, having conversations even! And paranoia? Oh MAN!!

Just start with some Canadian Bacon instead. You can thank me later!

Corned beef Brisket season already. They are on sale this week, decisions decisions. I think I am going to get the Reuben brand point cut this time for $2.49 a pound from the local market. Reuben used to have a good spice pack. They now have the lower sodium versions, talk about ruining a good thing.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   
What kine sausage is dis?

You say local so I guess it's a regular ole pork link type thing. Bratwurst, it's called bratwurst. I like polish sausage lately. It's not the combination of meat used necessarily but the seasoning. Picture it, you've got some pig intestines or some new age condom looking things made out of whatever to stuff meats into. You can put any amount of any spice or flavor in it and use any type of meat, cut of meat, or combination.

Mind blown.

Yellow mustard, brown mustard, horseradish mustard, dijon mustard, honey mustard, ketchup, heinz 57 sauce, horseradish sauce, sweet relish, dill relish, sauerkraut, pickled banana peppers, pickled jalapeno peppers..

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Corned beef Brisket season already. They are on sale this week, decisions decisions. I think I am going to get the Reuben brand point cut this time for $2.49 a pound from the local market. Reuben used to have a good spice pack. They now have the lower sodium versions, talk about ruining a good thing.

You can grill a corned beef brisket? Please tell me more. I slow boil them with cabbage, red potatoes, carrots, butter, vinegar, bay leaf etc into a scoopable "corned beef and cabbage".

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

They're AWESOME smoked!! Best you'll ever eat!

I cure my own briskets sometimes then smoke them and they're even better still.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor

originally posted by: rickymouse

You can grill a corned beef brisket? Please tell me more. I slow boil them with cabbage, red potatoes, carrots, butter, vinegar, bay leaf etc into a scoopable "corned beef and cabbage".

Essentially pastrami.

Amazing stuff.

Old school ways of cooking were all about preservation. Curing and smoking are still some of the best delicacies IMO.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 08:11 PM
link   

What kine sausage is dis?

From top down.

2 hot italian

2 mild italian

2 brats.

Next run will be Irish bangers, kielbasa, and andouilli. (what I would have picked this time, but I let someone else pick)

That will be after tomahawks, and then brisket though.

edit on 11-3-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

They're AWESOME smoked!! Best you'll ever eat!

I cure my own briskets sometimes then smoke them and they're even better still.

And my smoker is buried in the lean to off the garage. I have a snowblower, but the sidewalk between the garage and house shed is six feet wide, the snowblower is six and a half feet wide. I would have to shovel for a whole day to get to the area where the smoker is. Not going to happen for two and a half months. I suppose I will have to buy a brisket this summer and smoke one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join