It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plastic bag tax

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Something certainly needs to be done about nonbiodegradable plastics. Balloons too. lol
I love balloons, but bad for the environment. Think of the tons of parties for every occasion and how many people use them. Of course there are other problems to solve as well in order to help the environment. We definitely need suggestions and solutions.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Learn a skill.

Origami balloons. Made from recycled paper.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I am quite happy to recycle ...... BUT I find no logic to it in as much as I buy

a plastic bag which i use in my kitchen bin for kitchen waste/slops so that my

outside bin stays clean an unsmelly

When I come home with my shopping and decant it to the fridge and cupboards

and put the packaging mostly (plastic again) that plastic bag I bought is FULL of

bulky stiff plastic packaging that is NOT recyclable

Wheres the logic?

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Yeah, and that plastic can't be recycled.
Modern packaging sucks. But it's cheap. I guess.

Who here remembers a cupboard full of jelly jar drinking glasses?

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
a reply to: JAGStorm

Can we tax politicians and bureaucrats for being idiots?

The best idea I've heard in a long time!!! We would make a fortune in no time.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I have some of those jelly jars drinking glasses! I also
have several canning jars as well.
Mine are the canning jar type with a handle,sorry.
edit on 9-3-2019 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: eletheia

Yeah, and that plastic can't be recycled.
Modern packaging sucks. But it's cheap. I guess.

Who here remembers a cupboard full of jelly jar drinking glasses?

All of my glasses are jars because for some reason i can't seem to keep actual glasses in one piece. The jars are sturdy though. They survive my clumsiness.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Plus; they're free!

Sort of.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Too many assholes just throw them in the streets

Yeah what comes to the eye is the problem? How about toxic formaldehyde that has more deleterious effects on humans than visual pollution of bags?

Its just about in everything we buy now. Just because we cant see toxicity doesn't make it go away.

www.atsdr.cdc.gov...

As to bags, keep it in context:

www.sbs.com.au...

Plastic bags minor issue in Australia’s litter problem: report Dr Thornton is an expert in hazardous materials management. He admits plastic bag bans can be effective, but warns there could be significant consequences if they are rushed through. He pointed to Australia’s 2016-17 National Litter Index which found that plastic bags comprised just one per cent of Australia's total litter count.

The report foundcigarettes, beverage containers and takeaway food packages made up 66 per cent of Australia’s overall litter problem. In 2016-17, people dumped 26,548 cigarette butts and packages in Australia, compared to 476 plastic bags. Takeaway food containers made up 10,828 of the total. The numbers were similar the year prior.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Whatever.
Screw plastic bags. They're horrendous. Don't be lazy and bring your own reusable bags.
Think of what your kids will have to live with...

edit on 3/9/2019 by prevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Have you heard about the move to make plastic water bottles returnable for a $.05-.10¢ deposit?

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

We have a deposit system.
Pay 6 cents, get 5 cents when you return the container.
edit on 3/9/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

What I more concerned about is taxing for these bags.I think
the only thing not being taxed yet is air we breathe.

They tried that with Obamacare. Taxing you for existing.

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
# needs to get real. Ban all vehicles and let's see people pollute the environment with plastic bags with no way to get to the plastic bags. The people who want to ban plastic bags can drag their sorry asses to the store on foot and carry their stuff home.

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I'm with DBCowboy. I remember paper grocery bags. They were strong and easily reusable around the house, plus they could be folded up and stored.

Then the idiot environmentalists decided to throw fits because we were cutting down trees to make paper bags. So everyone switched to plastic bags. They were dinky, so fragile as to be almost un-reusable, and were a mess to store if one wanted to try and reuse them. But OK, we made the switch. We saved your precious trees.

Now plastic bags are bad because they're not good for much of anything after you get the groceries home. That's of course assuming they don't assist you in scattering your groceries all across the front yard bringing them inside. So now we have to switch to bringing our own bags? Or pay to use the bags they wanted us to use? I hauled some of those bags when I drove a truck... they pay less than 0.1 cents per bag wholesale. If the store charges a penny, that's a 900+% mark-up! More than they make on the groceries!

Hell, no. I have already informed my regular grocery store that the second they start charging for bags, or the second they start asking people to bring their own bags, that's the second I start looking for someone else to do business with. Idiot environmentalists are idiots... why exactly are we listening to them? Let them go protest lumber somewhere by tying themselves to a tree in the middle of bear country. At least that way they'll be useful for something.

Just hope they don't give the bears a tummy-ache, but knowing their track record, they probably will.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Sounds fine to me. Hope your ready to ride your bike to work everyday. I do every now and then when I'm in the mood. Your proposal will surely help me lose a few extra calories And pump up these calves.

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It has been law in the UK for over a year. It works btw plastic bags are down by 86% we all use cloth bags now. Bags for life we call em.

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Sounds fine to me. Hope your ready to ride your bike to work everyday. I do every now and then when I'm in the mood. Your proposal will surely help me lose a few extra calories And pump up these calves.

I see. So you don't want to get rid of the real source of pollution. You just have some kind of odd problem with plastic bags. OK.

I gotta say that of all the things that might be (likely are) polluting the environment, plastic bags don't even register to me. Maybe it's just because they're so insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

OTOH, I like plastic bags. I collect them. I keep them in every nook and cranny. Just in case they ever get banned like light bulbs did. They might be worth something if you can't get your hands on a plastic bag to save your life (or take your life when it all becomes too miserable to go on).
edit on 10-3-2019 by BrianFlanders because: I can't spell

posted on Mar, 10 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Something certainly needs to be done about nonbiodegradable plastics. Balloons too. lol

I have kept plastic bags long enough to where I can tell you that they do degrade. I have plastic bags in my garage that are less than 20 years old and falling apart. So much for "these things will be here for a zillion years!". And so what if they are? It isn't like anyone will care once humans are gone. The earth will just ignore all the plastic and the garbage and continue on like it isn't even there.

edit on 10-3-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

(post by MyToxicTash removed for a manners violation)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join