It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've got an Idea (Danger Danger)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   
A post by DTOM yesterday made me think of an idea which might actually be kind of fun. So, I thought I might throw the idea out here to see what others think of it.

So the premise for the idea is basically this...

There are sub-forums on ATS which get the majority of the posts, and there are other sub-forums which see very little traffic at all. To coin the phrase DTOM used, they're "lonely".

So, what if...we identified the sub-forums which are wanting of more posts, and then endeavored to put posts in those forums? Now, here's the kind of fun part; people post posts in their 'comfort zone', but everyone can benefit from broadening their horizons. So, many times you see the same suspects posting in the same forums. Why not try to learn something new, post content in sub-forums we don't usually post in. We might even learn something new. We might learn something about ourselves even, something which brings us closer rather than further apart.

And to further the underpinning thought here, a bit about me here on ATS. I'm sure I'm not alone, but I have this personal code where I can vehemently and vigorously disagree with an individual on a whole range of issues, but readily agree with them on another subject. In other words, I never hold a grudge. As an example, I can happily discuss something about food with a member who ordinarily makes me want to go on an axe murdering spree when talking about politics. And I always welcome learning something new about someone, something I may not have been able to see otherwise. And sometimes, it's this change in subject matter which fills in the blanks somewhere else, sheds light on the reasoning behind their beliefs. And, despite regular disagreements with an individual, I generally try to read everything regardless of who posts it.

So, maybe if we brought some life back into some of the lesser used sub-forums here on ATS, we might learn something new and even gain a better understanding of not only our world, but those in it.

Thoughts?
edit on 3/9/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Another way to look at this is as follows...

There are 101 sub-forums here (by my very rough count). Perhaps a fun "journey" might be to put an on-topic and thought provoking post in every one of these forums. Maybe there could even be a status for this, a badge of sorts.

It's almost like a cross-country bicycle trip, or the goal of setting foot on every continent, or maybe as simple as counting how many dried beans are in a bag. This would be making a "lap around ATS". Oh sure, there would have to be some rules, but they'd be easy enough (on-topic, not just some drive-by post, etc.)

You might find you like another ATS forum you never even considered before, or find out another member who you usually battle with is really a fantastic artist, or cook, or underwater basket weaver...who knows. You might find you need to lighten up, or maybe not take the world so seriously, or maybe you should take things more seriously...or, like me, you're really just a nutcase. Again, who knows?

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
Interesting idea. I like it.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Do the threadkillers still exist? They might find issue with this.

I like the reasoning, there's a few topics I avoid and a couple of forums I don't tend to do well in... Religion being one of them, I've been a bit of an ass in them. With that being said I do visit other forums here I just don't post much on topics I have little to add. The survival forum being one, I've learned a few things there .

I agree about civility, we shouldn't let differences define our interactions with each other, if anything we should be celebrating it more since ATS would be boring if everyone agreed and were the same. I've learned a lot here that I wouldn't have otherwise and it's down to the diversity of members.

There's a few forums I'd like to see more active, I know you post often in the food and drink one often. I appreciate that and I've commented a few times on your threads. Someone at one point was doing beer reviews, it's a shame it never really took off. We need to populate such threads so I totally agree with you.

There's a few home brewers here at ATS too, I'll hopefully make more threads in food & drink in the coming months with recipes etc. It's just getting around to doing it.

I'm not the best at making threads...

You might find you like another ATS forum you never even considered before, or find out another member who you usually battle with is really a fantastic artist, or cook, or underwater basket weaver...who knows. You might find you need to lighten up, or maybe not take the world so seriously, or maybe you should take things more seriously...or, like me, you're really just a nutcase. Again, who knows?

I'm a head basket... Weaver

I fell in love with the aviation forum, I knew little about the topic (still don't really) but I'm learning stuff, there's a few members who frequent it that I've had conversations with in other topics that's been enlightening and even surprising.

As you said who knows?

I like learning though, if we don't interact we'll never know... That's boring to me. Anyways nice thread, I'm interested in what other's have to say.

edit on 9-3-2019 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   

When I see an OP by Flyingclaydisk titled 'I've got an Idea (Danger Danger)', you know I'm clicking on that badboy in a heartbeat, hahah 😜

Great idea, and it makes sense. I tell myself I should try to post more, but it's usually a case of me not having much to add, or simply being completely unfamiliar with the topic I've found interesting, that puts me off posting in the first place.

I'm terrible for not checking for replies too, which is uncool. Probably better for the most part if I just sit in my quiet corner and let the adults get on with it, lol

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Well see, this is exactly what I'm getting at.

It would take some time, effort and research to post a halfway intelligent topic in some of those forums...and that's the best part. You get to do that..."Huh...I did not know that!"...thing. You make a post and, when someone who you'd never expect replies, and you think to yourself..."Huh...I did not know that either! Interesting!"...thing.

Those 'things' add up, and before you know it you've got a new...pet armadillo-ferret, a 3rd eye and you're taking a Combat Zumba class.

edit on 3/9/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

This sounds like homework. No thanks, teach.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Sounds good. Trouble is that the forums that are rarely used, I don't know enough about the subject to actually make a worthwhile thread.

new topics

top topics

join