It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rush - Xanadu Live - 1981

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Most people know how great Rush are but it's only when watching old footage of them we see just how brilliant they were.

Almost therapeutic.

edit on 8-3-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   
With you all the way - their / our time has come....

'and the men who hold high places...

thanks man, my mandela memory hole thinks Exit Stage Left was later htan 1981

But it don't matter, they are relevant.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I've always had a fondness for Rush. I think they're one of those bands you either get or you don't.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Love Rush. Saw them some July's back in Vancouver. Geddy started off the show by welcoming everyone to the show. He says "We're gonna go ahead and play around 900 songs" Hehehe everyone laughed.
Great show, great band. I respect Pearts requests to stay out of the "limelight". I can't imagine having the "world's best drummer" taped to your back everywhere you go.
Alex is a great and unique guitar player. He's a super kind human being.

edit on 8-3-2019 by drz400 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The coordination to play Moog organ bass with your feet while playing your own instrument is incredible! Both Alex and Geddy are doing throughout this song. That is what I like watching! They thought about getting another band member, couldn't find anybody, and figured, "Hey, why don't we just do ourselves?"

The concept grows in 90's as technology evolves. They, like all the top groups, played with click tracks like you would in the studio. They did it live which freed them up to trigger samples like the moog bass pedals from OP but using midi. This is where that all started.

I find it so amazing that 3 guys can make so much music. I really do guess it is just a question of your honesty!

My favorite part of the song is the riff that leads to the ending! And the odd time signature it is in. Fun stuff!!

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: drz400

I too respect Neil's decision and yeah , he is an incredible drummer / percussionist ... but then he'd need to be to be in an incredible band.

"One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity, yeah"

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   

That was awesome !!

edit on 9-3-2019 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOT

My favorite part of the song is the riff that leads to the ending! And the odd time signature it is in. Fun stuff!!

I, sir, am an idiot!

The ending I was thinking of is Jacob’s Ladder, not Xanadu!!

I only realized that when I played the part on guitar.

Sorry for being an eejit!

Still, great song!!

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Great tune. I played in a band many years ago that played a ton of Rush songs and that was one of my favorites to play.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The coordination to play Moog organ bass with your feet while playing your own instrument is incredible! Both Alex and Geddy are doing throughout this song. That is what I like watching! They thought about getting another band member, couldn't find anybody, and figured, "Hey, why don't we just do ourselves?"

The concept grows in 90's as technology evolves. They, like all the top groups, played with click tracks like you would in the studio. They did it live which freed them up to trigger samples like the moog bass pedals from OP but using midi. This is where that all started.

I find it so amazing that 3 guys can make so much music. I really do guess it is just a question of your honesty!

But, but....listen to Xanadu at the 4:55 mark. That ain't either of them playing that with their feet. That's gotta be MIDI, right? I know it was in its infancy at the time but how else would they do that? It seems as if you are saying they didn't use that until later. I'm not a expert but I ain't a dummy either but I will say that piece has always confused me how they pulled that off in what, 1977?
edit on 3/20/2019 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join