It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winchester recall of .38 Special ammo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
"Winchester recall of .38 Special ammo.

This ammo is potentially unsafe to use even in firearms chambered in .357 Magnum."

Source:

www.gunsamerica.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

Yikes, theres alot of extra room in a .38 case...Im going to say theyre definitely over charged. Deadly error right there.

I want to say a .38 special is 18 grains, .357 I believe is 14 or 15 grains, but different burn.
edit on 8-3-2019 by BlueJacket because: Eta

But I read an undercharge can be just as damning as it can leave a "squib" (round) lodged in the barrel, making the next shot...a killer.
edit on 8-3-2019 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-3-2019 by BlueJacket because: sp

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   

The Illinois-based maker has determined the identified lots of 38 Special ammunition “may contain incorrect powder charges,” going on to say, “Ammunition with excessive powder charges may cause firearm damage, rendering it inoperable, and subjecting the shooter and bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury or death.”

www.guns.com...

The affected loads carry the lot numbers KF21, KL30 or KM52 inside the right tuck flap of the 100-round carton.

edit on 3/8/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel
So they loaded up some 38 ++++++P...

Happy I generally stay away from Winchester ammo.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Sounds a little hot

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   

You know that's a hot round when they tell you it can't even be fired from a .357

Stay safe folks and thank you OP for bringing this to our attention.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

some guy with a highpoint 45 carbine sent his gun in for "accuracy problems" turned out he had 35 squibs lodged in his barrel but some how it never blew up ,they replaced his barrel for free though
www.facebook.com... DUI9emprYIrPvkSB1dGomJJx4KE0h2tFASAu7f68fYDgOtZsuT2nMV_pKwo9FKqE&fref=nf

How many rounds of 45Auto can you fit in the barrel of a 4595TS? Well this guy managed to squeeze 35 rounds in there. When he called stating he was having accuracy issues he had no idea the rounds had not left the barrel. After receiving his carbine in we discovered the issue, rebareled his 4595TS and sent it back to him. Hows that for customer service?
apparently they got it wrong and was a 9mm but still astounding it didnt go boom

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

Thats crazy! I guess he didnt notice the firearm getting heavier

and OP I concur with the poster above, Thanks for the heads up.

edit on 8-3-2019 by BlueJacket because: dunce

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Yikes, theres alot of extra room in a .38 case...Im going to say theyre definitely over charged. Deadly error right there.

I want to say a .38 special is 18 grains, .357 I believe is 14 or 15 grains, but different burn.

But I read an undercharge can be just as damning as it can leave a "squib" (round) lodged in the barrel, making the next shot...a killer.

There is another danger involved with lower powder charges in a cartridge. If you decide to load a lower amount to have a subsonic or low recoil load, you should add a piece of Dacron fiber on top of the powder charge to keep it down against the primer. Low amounts of powder without the Dacron filler will provide a larger surface area to ignite when the cartridge is horizontal in the chamber. The faster ignition rate can develop pressures that can rupture a cylinder or chamber.
edit on b000000312019-03-08T18:21:21-06:0006America/ChicagoFri, 08 Mar 2019 18:21:21 -0600600000019 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

intersting. I havent taken up reloading yet, Id like to, but it seems to take a fair bit more time than I have atm.

I take it you reload?

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I do not reload now, but did as an adolescent when my father had a press.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Erno86
"Winchester recall of .38 Special ammo.

This ammo is potentially unsafe to use even in firearms chambered in .357 Magnum."

Source:

www.gunsamerica.com...

For 45 acp, and 9mm...all I use is Winchester PDX+1 (h.p.).

Tho not the caliber you're referring to here..perhaps I should dump the rounds I have for another brand.

Thanks for the info!

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   
My most accurate factory ammo for my 45acp - 1911 - Kimber Eclipse is with Winchester 185 grain semi-wadcutters.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I haven't bought any new ammo for quite awhile.I read the article
and couldn't find anything about a date or time frame,just the lot
numbers recalled.

top topics

join