It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fatten a Goldfish now for next Lent?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   
With our collapsing fish stocks, perhaps it's not a bad idea to start fattening up a goldfish now for next Lent?

Shove a straw down his gullet and pour the fish food down.
We're gonna have fish foie gras!

I still recall I had this goldfish who started swimming upside down (never use your aquarium as a bong), and I took it to the vet in a jiffy bag. And I waited two hours. And when it was finally my turn he said: "Sorry, but the only fish we care about is in the cat food!"

Sorry Mr/Mrs Fish (I never was sure how it gender identified) - but you're going to that great, sparkly white porcelain throne.
I hope that makes you feel better about it all.

So, would you fatten a pet fish for next Ash Wednesday and Lent?
I mean, we don't need to raid the oceans for the last wild species.

Or maybe you'd become too attached to it, and come next Lent you won't feel like eating it?
edit on 8-3-2019 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Our goldfish is about seven and a half inches long, it's companion swallowed one of the rocks on the bottom and it slowly went downhill, they picked them up and sucked on them then spit them out but sometimes they swallowed them. The one that is left lost all it's scales on the top of it's head from banging it's head on things to knock out the little rocks, it worked but we tookall those rocks out now, and the scales are growing back slowly, it doesn't bang its head on things anymore since they are gone. The other gold fish was seven inches, but lost a lot of weight because it could not eat anymore. It is in our freezer, waiting for probably next august before the ground thaws to bury it.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Um we kinda already do what do you think tilapia is same thing just not gold

And any carp will grow to monstrous size if you give it a large habitat and food

Also gross I'll eat them if there's nothing else

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

I gave up lent for lent.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I may sound trivial, but comparing our local newspapers wishing various Christian and pagan denominations "happy fast"?

Nope - not one.

Just come Ramadan and Jewish holidays - then they fall over each other for wishes.

We'd like to wish all of our customers well for the fast (from Ash Wednesday this week) ... forget it.

Nope we only do "exotic religious holidays".

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I mean not to disrespect anybody else and their traditions.
Best wishes from my side to everyone always.

But I think it's kind of heartbreaking too.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I gave up lent for lent.

I lent, lent to Len, for lent, for tea.

As for redemption, I'm making no assumption.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: markovian

And any carp will grow to monstrous size if you give it a large habitat and food

Also gross I'll eat them if there's nothing else

I've searched but been unable to find it, there's an episode of a British TV programme called River Cottage where the host takes on a challenge to prove that carp can actually be good eating.

If I remember right, he caught the carp in a pond. He then took a large enough plastic crate with holes covered in wire mesh at each end, then placed it in a depression in a flowing stream (likely with rocks to help weigh it down, it was years ago I saw the episode, but you get the drift).

After a few days of being in he fresh flowing water, the carp is said to lose its 'muddy' taste and become quite palatable.

While searching for that episode, I happened across this one where he shows that pike can actually be quite good eating too;

top topics

join