It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student forced to wipe ashes off forehead in front of classmates

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AtlasHawk

Ban the burka!!

...oh wait...

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

This is discrimination from a person of authority, that's cool with you? Oh she apologized, due to the principals involvement, you really think she was naive as to the issue?

Kids really don't need to be bringing that crap into the classroom, there are churches and other places of worship for that.

Unless you are arguing that muslims should also be bringing their religious crap into classrooms

edit on 8-3-2019 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 04:57 AM
link   

What do you mean do Hindu have to wipe the dot off their head to enter a classroom, does everyone need to be strip searched to insure they're not wearing any religious jewelry? What did he bring into the classroom that doedny exist in his person every day? The teacher is the one who made the fuss and called it to attention, which was wrong.
edit on 3/8/2019 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLead

I mean keep religion out of the classroom, it's not really all that complicated. There are religious schools you can send your children too if that's your choice.

Christians are no better than muslims when it comes to this kind of intolerance, I reject both ideologies.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 05:16 AM
link   

So practice segregation?

mobile.twitter.com...

I'll leave this here so you can let her know that there are predominately Muslim countries (one of which she had to flee), and that she needs to take that off her head if she wants to remain in politics in America.
edit on 3/8/2019 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: AtlasHawk

And now Liberals see this as offensive or inappropriate.
Liberals are showing stupid they had become.

No different to conservatives showing how weak and intolerant they have become, scared of shadows and anything that dares to challenge their fragile worldviews.

That has to be a joke after all the snip we've put up from the left over the last decade.

We're effing saints compared to the left.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

This is discrimination from a person of authority, that's cool with you? Oh she apologized, due to the principals involvement, you really think she was naive as to the issue?

An apology was given and possible disciplinary action may be taken.

Serious question - what more do you want?

Do you want the teacher fired, money, or something else? IMO the issue has been handled in an appropriate way and as long as it isn't repeated that should be it.

As far as being naive about the ash it is entirely possible. I never saw people do it until I was in my 30s and still have no idea what it means nor do I care. I do know it is some religious type of custom so ..... to each there own.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I haven't asked anything at all of the school? I'm simply discussing someones post about the incident. Still naive after she was told what is was for and continued?

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Based on what was supposedly said.

'what is that?' And I was like it's Ash Wednesday and I'm Catholic. It's the first day of Lent and she was like, 'no it's inappropriate go take it off.'"

Yeah, it sounds like the teach didn't understand the significance whatever it is.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Its not like the student doesnt give the context in that statement?

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 06:35 AM
link   

You assume everyone knows that lent is anything more than the stuff at the bottom of your pocket.

If this happened 60 or 70 years ago the teach may have been run out of town or have been force indoctrinated into Catholicism. Now though, it is very possible that a portion of the populace has no clue about the religious significance of a smudge on someone's forehead on a certain day of the year.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Forced, seems like he was just asked !

I'd have refused on religious grounds , arent your religious beliefs protected by the most important document known to the US

the constitution!

Tell that teacher to beat it !

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Im just glad that christian sectarianism never really spilled from Britain to the US

Do you have any catholic / protestant violence in the states ?

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Do you have any catholic / protestant violence in the states ?

Not that I have heard. We have a ton of other violence though.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Maybe the teacher did not know what ash Wednesday was about.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   
People seem to believe that public schools and other government spaces do not allow any kind of religious expression due to the "separation of church and state", however, that separation only applies to the government, not civilians on government property. The separation of church and state only prohibits the government from promoting any religion over the other and with holding services to, or denying the rights of, people who don't comply with a government sanctioned religion.

You don't just leave your religion at home or in the church when you enter a government building, it's against your rights as a citizen if they force you to do that. You don't automatically have to forego your religious beliefs to be in a government facility or face some penalty, that would be just like requiring you to be a Catholic or Muslim or Jew etc. to enter a public building or public grounds.

You aren't allowed to disrupt government business because of your religion or any other belief you hold though, but wearing a crucifix, or a WWJD bracelet, or what have you, can't be considered a disruption. You should be allowed to pray on school grounds if your religion requires you to do so, it's in the bill of rights.
edit on 8-3-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: For clarity

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I would have to assume she is extremely disassociated from society not to see it on the news, social media or have driven past a church. Being in the 0ubluc field to have never come across a practicing catholic at lent? Possible I guess, but in this day and age it's just as likely with the disdain if christianity in the educational field that it was calculated

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I'm not Catholic...but are Catholics supposed to wear the ash cross all day?

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

thank the gods !

you don't want it, I am really surprised that the sectarian violence didnt spread to the states!
given that a lot of religious groups from the empire fled persecution here and left for freedom that was given by the US

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Why have I had a mental image of liberals head's exploding over this since the story surfaced yesterday???

"He's got a religious symbol...Bad"

"Conformance...good"

"Not a Muslim...bad"

"Everyone equal...good"

"White Catholic male...bad"

"Everyone equal...good...no wait...bad"

"Not a Muslim...bad...no wait...good"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join