It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manafort sentenced to 4 years for fraud in Mueller case

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Sentence reductions are fairly common in state prisons but not as common at the federal level. As long as the judge that sentenced him is still serving it is at his discretion . One of the reasons I mentioned it was that besides malicious prosecution Manafort appeared in a wheelchair. If he files a motion it will probably be on the grounds of compassionate release .

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Judge Ellis sentenced a black politician who stole something on the order of 100k to 18 years (claiming he couldn't offer a reduced sentence because of sentencing guidelines).

Manafort who stole 50+ million gets 4 years (and Ellis said he didn't think the sentencing guidelines were reasonable). Seems totally on the up and up. Nothing to see here.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

I think you are referring to the William J. Jefferson corruption case.

There really isn't much in the way of parallels between the two cases as far as I understand them.

The investigation began in mid-2005, after an investor alleged $400,000 in bribes were paid through a company maintained in the name of Jefferson's spouse and children. The money was traced to a tech company named iGate, Inc., of Louisville, Kentucky. In return for the payment, it is alleged, Jefferson would help iGate's business. Jefferson was to persuade the U.S. Army to test iGate's broadband two-way technology and other iGate products; use his efforts to influence high-ranking officials in Nigeria, Ghana, and Cameroon; and meet with personnel of the Export-Import Bank of the United States, in order to facilitate potential financing for iGate business deals in those countries.

On 30 July 2005, Jefferson was videotaped by the FBI receiving $100,000 worth of $100 bills in a leather briefcase at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Arlington, Virginia. Jefferson told an investor, Lori Mody, who was wearing a wire, that he would need to give Nigerian Vice President Atiku Abubakar $500,000 "as a motivating factor" to make sure they obtained contracts for iGate and Mody's company in Nigeria.

This was a case of a congressman of the United States taking bribes for favors while performing his official duties as a congressman. His sentence was 13 years.

From what I understand of the Manafort case his sentencing was for fraud and tax evasion, a much different type of crime. He's also facing an additional sentencing for charges he plead guilty to last year.

Paul Manafort sentenced to 47 months in prison

Manafort was convicted last summer for defrauding banks and the government, and for failing to pay taxes on millions of dollars in income he had earned from Ukrainian political consulting.

He had long been a target of federal investigators and Mueller's team -- and was expected to be a star cooperator in Mueller's probe when he pleaded guilty last September following a conviction at trial. That cooperation fell apart soon afterward, however, and prosecutors moved Manafort toward learning his two sentences from separate judges.

He'll receive a sentence from the other federal judge next week, for the two crimes he pleaded guilty to last year -- witness tampering and conspiracy related to years of illegal Ukrainian lobbying and money laundering -- which could stack on top of the time he received Thursday.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

DId Manafort break the law?

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Shame he got anything, but far less than what those unhinged leftists were once again swearing up & down over.

He doesn't deserve even one day. In fact, the government should be compensating him with millions of dollars for his wasted time. Not to mention the government employees who should be at an absolute minimum spending the rest of their natural lives in a small cage.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Come on President Trump, pardon this man already.

Paul Manafort was merely forcing the government to repay some of the money it stole for its gunpoint-forced public government welfare (ie: tax money used to sustain any federal program, agency, department, effort or budget)

I salute you Mr. Manafort. You're still orders of magnitude better than your opposition.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
March 13, 2019

MANAFORT PARDON COMING. Judge Ellis knew this.

twitter.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Judge sentences Paul Manafort to 43 months additional jail time today.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Absolutely.... get the message out.
If you dont rat on trump you get a pardon. If you do rat on trump you get a mean tweet suggesting additional jail time.
edit on 3132019 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Their association with President Trump is why they got caught. Otherwise they'd be going about "business as usual". The President feels responsible for what happened. I would too. And I'd Pardon and compensate those who Mueller damaged because of me. (Remember, Mueller's probe is ILLEGITIMATE. Lawsuits will fly after this is proven.)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
NY DA just indited Manafort for mortgage fraud

Inditement

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Sillyolme

Their association with President Trump is why they got caught. Otherwise they'd be going about "business as usual". The President feels responsible for what happened. I would too. And I'd Pardon and compensate those who Mueller damaged because of me. (Remember, Mueller's probe is ILLEGITIMATE. Lawsuits will fly after this is proven.)

It's not 'illegitimate' and you know it.
Anyway, Manafort will be in prison for the next 81 months.
Plus, as I type this he's been indicted by the New York DA for real estate fraud.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: RexKramerPRT
NY DA just indited Manafort for mortgage fraud

Inditement

Jail time coming for this?

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I guess there is concern that Trump would pardon him. Now he can be held, maybe on bail, should that happen.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Manafort will NOT be in prison for the next 81 months. Full Pardon. For once, I agree with former CIA Director John O. Brennan, who said on MSNBC yesterday that he's 90% sure Trump will Pardon Manafort.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
They are doing all of this to keep Manafort from talking. Threatening that he will spend the rest of his life in prison and will die there.

Why? Because he is the link. Not Cohen or anyone else. It is Manafort. He worked for The Podesta Group who was Bill and HIl's advisers including the 2016 run. You know, the guy whose email was hacked?

Manafort is not even part of the Trump inner circle and worked for the campaign mere months leading up to the nomination. He knows how to get things done.

Just like the gag order on Roger Stone.

Silence those you are afraid of and blame them for it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join