It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Government Tracking Journalists and Immigration Advocates Through a Secret Database

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Article+video

Documents obtained by NBC 7 Investigates show the U.S. government created a secret database of activists, journalists, and social media influencers tied to the migrant caravan and in some cases, placed alerts on their passports.

The US government has created dossiers on US citizens, US journalists and US attorneys. It appears to be part of the greater 'border security' effort and created around the time of the caravan from last fall.

Maybe you believe the US government should be creating dossiers on US citizens. Maybe you don't. The ACLU has already made comment:

“This is an outrageous violation of the First Amendment. The government cannot use the pretext of the border to target activists critical of its policies, lawyers providing legal representation, or journalists simply doing their jobs. We are exploring all options in response,” Bhandari said.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

wait, the government is actively trying to find out who is responsible for organizing the caravans that continue to disrupt activity at the border? Those bastards! It's nobody's business who is trying to undermine the sovereign borders of the US! Those migrants have every right to cross illegally if they choose. Amnesty or something.........

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Actually, the government can make lists of people that are considered treasonous for committing treason or other related crimes concerning invading forces or an organized effort to destabilize the government, economy or put citizens at increased risk..

Lucky it's not me making the decisions, I would have thrown all these invasion promoters in jail already since they are aiding and abetting potential terrorists as well. Kinda makes them candidates for gitmo.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/7.2019 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I get the dangers. However, regardless of your position on undocumented immigrants and refugees, it’s important to be aware that those caravans are likely organized and funded by political entities within and without the US. Just seeing this as humanitarian empathy is very naive.

Second, many political operatives are pushing for no enforcement of our immigration laws and virtual open borders.

All of these things are legitimate security and social concerns.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It’s only something literally Hitler would do, obvi. -Cnn
a reply to: network dude

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Big brother really is watching.

People will still defend this, it's amazing the amount of conditioning that the american public has been subjected to. I feel bad for them.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I’m anti big brother. I’m also anti political operatives using immigration to change a society or as a foil for attacking citizens and pragmatic folks. We can’t have endless undocumented immigration. Yale already estimates there are up to 30 million.

a reply to: wheresthebody

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

wait, the government is actively trying to find out who is responsible for organizing the caravans that continue to disrupt activity at the border? Those bastards! It's nobody's business who is trying to undermine the sovereign borders of the US! Those migrants have every right to cross illegally if they choose. Amnesty or something.........

That is not the case here. These are journalist and lawyers offering services.

This is outside of what you mention and the gov. had no reason presented yet to think what you just mentioned.

This is harassment of the media.

Papers please.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Such a messy situation.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
I get the dangers. However, regardless of your position on undocumented immigrants and refugees, it’s important to be aware that those caravans are likely organized and funded by political entities within and without the US. Just seeing this as humanitarian empathy is very naive.

Second, many political operatives are pushing for no enforcement of our immigration laws and virtual open borders.

All of these things are legitimate security and social concerns.

Or perhaps the countries where they are from are struggling to provide jobs and the groups are coming here seeking work cause they heard someone say jobs jobs jobs and we are the greatest and richest country on earth.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: UncleTomahawk

This is outside of what you mention and the gov. had no reason presented yet to think what you just mentioned.

Papers please.

I know, what's next wire taps, and arrests? Imagine the outrage if Obama had done thi… nevermind.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

This is too funny!

How many effing times have leftists HERE ON ATS said, "Well, if you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide!"

LMFAO!

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the Trump administration got FISA warrants to spy on American citizens!

I'm literally laughing my ass off now.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Government has a database on everyone and everything, ready to access on a moment's notice.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

Papers please.

I know, what's next wire taps, and arrests? Imagine the outrage if Obama had done thi… nevermind.

That is a juvenile argument. Like saying we should ignore the government overreaches today because someone else done it in the past.

I was against it then and now but that is beside the point.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I'm surprised that people are surprised the government is doing this. I thought the accepted understanding was that if you're posting on the internet you're in a database of some sort.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I get your point generally. Frankly though, many ‘journalists’ are acting as propagandists or political operatives on not just this topic but others. Free press does not mean that necessarily. In fact such behavior is in violation of journalistic standards.

On the caravan and border issues I’ve seen a lot of hysteria and misrepresentation.
a reply to: UncleTomahawk

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

Papers please.

That is a juvenile argument. Like saying we should ignore the government overreaches today because someone else done it in the past.

I was against it then and now but that is beside the point.

That's more to my point. Is this Governmental over reach, or is this looking for answers as to who is behind these caravans? It's a very slippery slope, but it this case it seems very boarder line while in the last administration it was clearly a violation of the law.

If members of the media were more willing to at least help in the investigation, then these types of actions wouldn't be needed. The media (for the most part) push back so hard against this administration that getting them to help out is harder than peace in the middle east. I know and understand that the media has a right to protect their sources, but imagine if members of the media had known about 9/11 weeks before hand then turned around and refused to tell the government anything?

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Omg stop being a wacko conspiracy theorist!??
a reply to: DBCowboy

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Definitely. And people are so strident and divided over it.
a reply to: wheresthebody

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join