It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bible, mixing fabrics and synthetics today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I've worked with textiles for a loooong time, for both hobby and work.
I have a good feel for fabrics.

I've always found it interesting that the bible said not to mix wool and linen.

One theory is that mixed those fabrics would steal electricity from your body.
There might be some truth to that. Linen itself does not have static cling.
Linen has numerous benefits, it's breathable, warm, wicks moisture quickly.
It can keep you both cool and warm.

Wool is somewhat the opposite, it repels moisture, it keeps you very warm.

I think about all the plastic clothing we are wearing today. It can't be good for us.
Our skin is our biggest organ. We don't treat it like that, but it is just exposed to so much crap.
All the weird lotions and potions, and now almost all clothing is synthetic.

I'm not religious, but I do think that those before us had some insight that we have completely glossed over.
Some call these things superstitions, but I'm not so sure anymore.

There is also this weird mystery disease.. maybe related to all of this? Who knows.
www.theguardian.com...

As far as conspiracy goes. Just think about natural materials, silk, hemp, linen, wool, it is all very difficult to find. The only one that is really
common is cotton, which has so many chemicals in it. Real organic cotton is nice though. I wonder if a lot of these manmade fabrics are making people sick. They are also terrible for the environment. All the ones I just listed can be composted right in the garden, can't do that with most clothing they sell in stores today!

edit on 6-3-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I just wish I could find some cotton blankets. Even expensive ones seem to be synthetic or mixed. Not sheets but blankets and a quilt with a cotton liner.

The synthetic ones don't breathe. Even on cold nights you end up sweating while still feeling cold.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I currently work with non woven synthetics.

Spun bonded melt blown stuff.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

I just wish I could find some cotton blankets. Even expensive ones seem to be synthetic or mixed. Not sheets but blankets and a quilt with a cotton liner.

The synthetic ones don't breathe. Even on cold nights you end up sweating while still feeling cold.

You can get some that are still made overseas, you have to buy online, but you never know.
Yes there are so many companies being deceitful now regarding fabrics too. There are some tests you can do by doing a burn test.

www.fabricmartfabrics.com...

Most fabrics are not what they say they are. I can tell by the feel/look of some, but they are getting sneaky.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Yes, I think that too. I don't like synthetic fabrics though it is very hard to avoid them now.

I generally only wear cotton, but even that has been treated with many horrid insecticides, pesticides and chemical dyes, et c. I have to use some Gore-Tex for weather protection and even jeans are no longer just cotton.

Levi's should bring out some Hemp Jeans. They could do like a wicked green colour. Hemp would be a great cotton substitute. It could be organic too.

Seriously, Hemp has shallow roots so does not suck up the water as much as cotton plants and grows real quick. They can even grow it in arid Sinai. It would be very environmental as it breaks down as vegetable matter.

I know in the future it shall be used as a main fabric, sooner the better. Imagine how much Levi's could make out of Hemp 501s, American made!!! I am seeing $$$ before my eyes as I write. They could be well hip and trendy, just hire Johnny Depp to advertise them, lol! I would definitely by them forever after. Their first issue could be the green ones and I bet people would even buy them as a historical collector's item. I know I would.

Levi's, you need to hire me. Send my plane ticket to the UK and I will be there in a shot.

_________________00__________________
________________0000_________________

_______________000000________________
____00_________000000__________00____
_____0000______000000______00000_____
_____000000____0000000___0000000_____
______000000___0000000_0000000_______
_______0000000_000000_0000000________
_________000000_00000_000000_________
_0000_____000000_000_0000__000000000_
__000000000__0000_0_000_000000000____
_____000000000__0_0_0_000000000______
_________0000000000000000____________
______________000_0_0000_____________
____________00000_0__00000___________
___________00_____0______00__________

edit on 6-3-2019 by Malak777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I believe that Leviticus was a book written mostly to govern the Levites, and in particular their Preists. I think that is the nature of the written prohibition of wool and linen, as that was a fabric mix reserved for the Priesthood, as a manner of further distancing them from the general population.

In those days, the Priesthood was a meld of religion and government. Thus, they had to have some form of....... what to call it..... Biblical bling? ........ that was not for the general membership. There wasn't a general prohibition against wearing two garments of differing fabrics, nor does this seem (to me) like a deeply entrenched moral law of the times, but more like a policy. It wasn't a stoning offence, which seem quite popular around the time Leviticus was written.

I might give you the idea that I'm quite religious, having studied the Bible. The truth is, I despise the Holy Bible being used as a weapon against anyone. I don't think that is the intended purposed of the collected 'gospels' which we call the Holy Bible. I think it was meant to guide people, not persecute them.

I myself like wearing nylon or rayon shirts because I sweat profusely, and this 'fabric' wicks the sweat away from my skin and allows it to evaporate and thus is cooler. Cotton does this also, however it is much more of a sponge and isn't as efficient at evaporative cooling. Not that you asked.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I personally believe that most of the laws that seem so odd to us today was in fact about not copying pagan religions or using any of their methods of worshiping their gods.The same reason we should not abide Easter Eggs, and Christmas trees and the various rituals when we know where they came from.

Lev 19:19 Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen(Shah-at-nez) come upon thee.

Deu 22:11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts(Shah-at-nez), as of woollen and linen together.

Physical Significance 1. Pagan Priests were known to have worn a certain type of garment made of vegetable(flax/linen) and animal(sheep/wool) materials. This could have been the main reason for this prohibition. As Maimonides, a prominent Jewish philosopher and Scholar wrote in “Moreh iii, 37” – “the heathen priests adorned themselves with garments containing vegetable and animal materials, while they held in their hand a seal of mineral. This you will find written in their books”

The Statute explained It is important to note that the statute is not about mixing any type of thread. Rather, it is mixing of Wool & Linen(Shah-at-nez) specifically. The statute does not extend to other types of thread – hence silk, polyester, rayon, etc do not apply. Also, there is no prohibition against wearing one type of garment over another type of garment, even if they were Wool & Linen. The prohibition was to not weave wool and linen together into one garment for wearing.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   
“I'm not religious, but I do think that those before us had some insight that we have completely glossed over.
Some call these things superstitions, but I'm not so sure anymore.”

That statement resonates so much. My entire worldview has moved to understanding ‘natural’ living because of dissatisfaction with contemporary medical treatments, diets, lifestyles, etc- and what it always circles back to is that the seemingly best solution was always the first solution.... as in found in ancient texts and history....

My medicine cabinet is full of things like local raw honey, Himalayan salts, essential oils, vinegars and whole unprocessed foods.

I have also considered the clothing materiel to mostly be irritating (in the same sense that over processed lotions, other hygiene products, foods) seem irritating when unnatural. Don’t start on synthetic “medicines” and artificial dyes! Artificial dyes are found throughout clothing, blankets towels etc, as well.

Having sensory issues myself, I also believe this plays a large part in the uptick in autism or sensory issues.... it’s quite common for clothing tags, threading, that little ball in the corner of socks, that sits right on your pinky toe..... lol

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

I think that is the nature of the written prohibition of wool and linen, as that was a fabric mix reserved for the Priesthood

I think that is a more common theory. Clothing has been used to separate people since the beginning of time.

Also, if I may, I highly suggest trying to find a pure linen shirt and see what you think as far as temperature & sweat regulation.
I think you might be surprised.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Malak777

Levi's should bring out some Hemp Jeans. They could do like a wicked green colour. Hemp would be a great cotton substitute. It could be organic too.

Forget Levi's, create your own company, I'll be your first customer.

I'm in!

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I wish! I know some independents are doing it low key, but it needs a brand name behind it. I would love to buy organic hemp garments.

I bet with modern methods they could make the fabric very smooth too. It would not have to be rugged like the old days. In the old days the cotton was very rugged too.

With Levi's skill at fabric cutting and tailoring they could produce some tasteful fancy pants for sure. I have always had a thing for Levi's. Interesting that Levi's relates to your Bible reference too about the fabrics.

I think soon we will have to explore all these ideas out of necessity.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Where I live was the Hemp capital of the United States at the turn of the century. It still grows wild here along the ditches.

Real fibers like hemp, cotton, and linen just last so much longer too. They also do not have that dreaded stink that a lot of synthetics have.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   

It's good that hemp is making a comeback. It will become very needed soon. How amazing that it has all those uses, from recreational to medicinal and as fabric. It makes seriously strong rope too and I bet it could even make some kind of board for furniture if compressed - that is the stalks. It is all very useful indeed - the whole plant.

Yes, the synthetics smell horrid. They feel horrid and I think you are right about what they do toi the static of our bodies and may cause some horrible skin ailments - who knows how seriously.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Hope this isn’t too “woo woo”, but here goes:

Many years ago, while I was “in training”, I learned how “scan” a person’s body for abnormalities related to muscle tension, vascular irregularities, skeletal defects, and the like by passing my hand a few inches above their body and “reading” the electromagnetic “field” emitted by their body.

Although sensing this “body field” was easiest over bare skin (naturally), that option was not always possible, or appropriate.

I found that reading was not really hindered much by cotton clothing, especially if the garment was something other than new, heavy denim.

Similarly, rayon posed little resistance.

But anything fabric containing a plastic, like polyester fabrics, would set up a kind of staticky feedback that made all but the worst ailments virtually impossible to sense.

I’ve also had discussions about the use of full-body silk garments as a kind of “capacitor” to enhance the body’s electrical field; but I have never been able to afford to experiment with this idea.
edit on 6-3-2019 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

I’ve also had discussions about the use of full-body silk garments as a kind of “capacitor” to enhance the body’s electrical field; but I have never been able to afford to experiment with this idea.

Real organic silk is quite possible the most amazing fabric on earth. It is so warm, so cool, and strong beyond belief.

BTW. Love your post, not too woo woo,

super interesting. Thanks for chiming in.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I have a linen shirt. You are correct in regard to temperature regulation. I can't attest to its ability toward sweat as the damn thing is FAR too expensive to use as a work shirt. It is a steppin'-out shirt. I don't doubt that it would be stellar, however for a dirt magnet like me, a $15 rayon shirt shines well enough.

In a future where things are affordable, I don't doubt that your beliefs are true for my situation.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:51 PM
link   

www.etsy.com... a-home_and_living-home_decor-other&utm_custom1=f68b7fea-5544-455a-a261-11c274b6512e&utm_content=go_270948755_42199735437_194532415633_pla-303663660129 _c__600220782&gclid=CjwKCAiA_P3jBRAqEiwAZyWWaOUJZRjY361rR9LRGu_BlVQI5PIewePG4PRfS4mHrcbf_LLAnNOTRRoCLUIQAvD_BwE

I just wanted to share this listing.
This hemp fabric is 170+ years old and just look at it!
Isn't that amazing! There are tons of listings for hemp fabric that are around that age or older. What does that say!??

I collect antique textiles and a lot of people are so delicate with them. They don't realize they are 10X stronger than anything we have now. You can wash them many many times, and they get better with age. Most clothing now gets worse with age. Can't wait until hemp is back full force

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Israel was called out of the world to be unique and separate from all the other nations, never to adopt any pagan ways
The mixing of fabrics was I believe a way to make sure they kept their unique identity .
Make them realise they were always to remain separate from all the other nations.

I don’t think there was an esoteric meaning behind it.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I've been putting together a possible future thread about the different examples of "separation between two sides" in the Bible (and you remind me of a couple that I've missed).
I'm working towards a theory that they are designed to remind us of the need to keep looking for the distinction between good and evil.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

www.etsy.com... a-home_and_living-home_decor-other&utm_custom1=f68b7fea-5544-455a-a261-11c274b6512e&utm_content=go_270948755_42199735437_194532415633_pla-303663660129 _c__600220782&gclid=CjwKCAiA_P3jBRAqEiwAZyWWaOUJZRjY361rR9LRGu_BlVQI5PIewePG4PRfS4mHrcbf_LLAnNOTRRoCLUIQAvD_BwE

I just wanted to share this listing.
This hemp fabric is 170+ years old and just look at it!
Isn't that amazing! There are tons of listings for hemp fabric that are around that age or older. What does that say!??

I collect antique textiles and a lot of people are so delicate with them. They don't realize they are 10X stronger than anything we have now. You can wash them many many times, and they get better with age. Most clothing now gets worse with age. Can't wait until hemp is back full force

My goodness! That is incredible. I never realized it could last like that. That has impressed me even more. Thank you very much for sharing this. It will be a much needed resource universally I think, very soon.

What a great interest to have. I hope you will share some of your knowledge here some more. Thanks for a very interesting thread.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join