It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fricken coaches fundraiser garbage!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I should note that the schools athletic director "also head football coach" sets a bunch of limits on how they can run fundraisers.

They are not allowed to hit up local businesses for sponsorship....
Funny how the entrance to the football field is covered by local business banners....

Hmmm

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
That money is to buy trophies for everyone. That's a lot of wasted money that gives kids the unrealistic expectation that they are winners for just showing up,and leads to problems when they enter the real world.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
In elementary skool we had fundraisers for stuff like gift wrap or chocolate sales.

I knew it was a lame pyramid scheme and I wasn't even going to try for top-seller no matter what the prize.

I never participated in those or even brought them home. I got stuff to do, teach.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Are they specifying specific brands and everything?

I know when I ran we were told that if we were on a relay team and wanted to wear tights, everyone on the team had to wear tights and they all had to be the same color, but we didn't all have to have the same brand. So we would coordinate and if we all wanted to wear tights, we'd agree to one color and every girl would get her own pair because those weren't part of the school uni. But no one cared if mine were Walmart specials instead of Nike or something.

I think the coach should at most care that they wear the same color. Or a range of colors.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Find 50 people from Foriegn countries for the "boosters" to call.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

Find 50 people from Foriegn countries for the "boosters" to call.

That's an idea. Or go to one of those online sites where people report spam numbers and list 50 of those.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I could understand their actual uniforms matching but this is just team labeled gear..
I imagine the coach gets a percentage of the sales

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I am a high school softball coach and we to have fundraisers, but nothing as ridiculous as what you are experiencing. I can tell you one major reason we have these fundraisers is that the girls teams receive less money and support than the boys teams.

When I got to the high school I now coach at I noticed how old and out of date our uniforms and gear were compared to the baseball team and personally donated the money to get new uniforms, helmets and gear which ended up being 1,000s of dollars. I didn’t want my daughter to feel like a second class citizen.

After she grasduated I started coaching as a volunteer for the team.

I realize how you must feel, but understand there these teams don’t get the help from the boosters that football, baseball and other men’s sports get and maybe cut them some slack.

Also, if you raise a stink it will likely embarass your daughter so remain cognizant of how what you say may affect how she feels and is treated. Parents are notorious for misbehaving when involved in high school sports and I have had many girls in tears from their parents behavior.

Finally, not everyone can afford travel teams. I run a summer program where I coach girls that can’t afford the big bucks it takes to play in tournaments and other travel club activities. I personally fund the activities so these less affluent girls can get the same access to training and experience that other girls with parental support get.

I get girls from all over the city and have an amazing team because there are so many girls that can’t afford the big money high school sports that their peers can afford.

Anyway, just try to be a little bit sensitive to the financial inequality in girl sport and between those that can travel and those that can’t.
edit on 2019/3/6 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

At the same time, if they need that gear, I'm surprised they aren't taking more traditional routes like car washes and the like. That's what a lot of the local clubs do up here. They organize car washes or stake out stoplights with signs asking for donations, etc.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   

stake out stoplights with signs asking for donations, etc.

Please don’t take this presonally and I can understand the need to fundraise , but I find the above method distracting and dangerous to drivers. When I drive I want to focus on driving signs , traffic lights, etc and I expect other drivers to be doing the same.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

My daughter has been in sports since she was 7 and I understand why fundraising is needed.
Football is king. End of story.

I'm not complaining about doing a fundraiser, just the approach they are taking.
I also have a pretty calm demeanor so I'm not likely to make an ass of myself.
Not to mention I know most of the parents that will be attending and I really doubt I'll be the one embarrassing their kid.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   
My son is on the high school football team and they sell trash bags as a fundraiser. It might seem silly but these are really good trash bags for $11 a roll. We sell the crap out of them.

As far as just asking for money, that is total b.s. They should at least offer a product or service for people who choose to donate.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01
My son is on the high school football team and they sell trash bags as a fundraiser. It might seem silly but these are really good trash bags for $11 a roll. We sell the crap out of them.

As far as just asking for money, that is total b.s. They should at least offer a product or service for people who choose to donate.

That is the best fundraising I've ever heard. Yes, please have them sell stuff that is useful!

One thing they do here is have restaurant nights. You go and the teams get a portion of what is purchased at the fast food place. Almost anything is better than giving names and numbers. I think that really is an invasion of privacy. I would not feel comfortable giving out any friends or relatives numbers.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: JAGStorm

This isnt for their uniforms.
The school buys those...

This is for team gear so when they get off the bus at the opponent's field they all match.....

I dont understand how people with multiple kids pay for all this crap.

They ask 100 friends for help instead of only 50....lol...maybe.

I over-heard my parents discussing a fiscal shortage one time while I was crawling on the floor trying to eavesdrop on the ADULT conversations I knew only happened when Kids were not around or were in bed.....lol...next day I was picking and bagging Crab-Apples....I had heard about Avon Sales and Tupperware Sales and @ 4 years old I figured we needed extra money and there was a huge market for Crab-Apples.....lol...today they would call them Natural Organicly grown non-GMO Hand-Picked Heritage Strain Mini-Tartan Apples ….lol....I had bagged and sold 1.75 worth @.10 per bag before my Mom caught wind....I proudly gave her the 1.75 and then learned a lot of lessons about everything from eavesdropping to getting taken by Strangers to Peddaling Licenses to leaving the Yard without telling anyone...in reality I had only gone about 2 city blocks from my home and everyone knew everyone in the small town so of course the Neighbors I did meet bought all of my Apples for a dime a bag.....lol...then immediately called my Mom.....lol...the morale of the story is that kids feel fiscal pressure even though Parents try to hide it from them ….giving Kids a way out by teaching them that its ok to solicit help from others for a valid Group cause is a very good thing because it dilutes that fiscal pressure that somehow filters down to even small kids...there is nothing wrong with trying to meet 47 new friends and explain the situation to them....of course odds are someone in that number of people will step up to the plate even for a stranger....lots of people want to help others in our world they just don't know how to meet the right ones... you need to help them help you.

Even though you can write a cheque today....maybe one day your Kids wont have you and they will need to look to the Community for help...or be the Community Shoulders for someone else...why not use this chance now to EMPOWER THEM...maybe.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

Please don’t take this presonally and I can understand the need to fundraise , but I find the above method distracting and dangerous to drivers. When I drive I want to focus on driving signs , traffic lights, etc and I expect other drivers to be doing the same.

Eh, I'm just going by what they do up here where I live. You see it all the time with every group from firefighters to church groups to March of Dimes to school kids with club sports. They stake out stop lights and wave signs at cars and carry donation buckets. The pro sports groups do it for the Chiefs and Royals on Opening Day or Red Friday. They walk the medians and solicit with signs or boots or special edition newsprint things or giant pixie ticks or whatever.

Nothing personal about it. It's just what they do in this city.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
How do people not get that the whole travel league thing is nothing but one big money making scam designed to bulk well-meaning but unthinking parents of their hard-earned money?

I am appalled by the energy, time and the mostly debt that goes into making the monstrosity funtion. People need to stop feeding that beast.

SMH

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

I sure don't know. Sports definitely have their place and their value, but it's not everything, or even among the most important. Maybe I just see it because I knew how it used to be, and what we've given up. I put it in the "we know the price of everything and the value of nothing" category these days.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Sheye

Eh, I'm just going by what they do up here where I live. You see it all the time with every group from firefighters to church groups to March of Dimes to school kids with club sports. They stake out stop lights and wave signs at cars and carry donation buckets. The pro sports groups do it for the Chiefs and Royals on Opening Day or Red Friday. They walk the medians and solicit with signs or boots or special edition newsprint things or giant pixie ticks or whatever.

Nothing personal about it. It's just what they do in this city.

I think it’s a ridiculous and dangerous way to collect money. They must have a law against here, because no sports teams or organizations do it. You may see the odd homeless person doing it, but it doesn’t make it any less dangerous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join