It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fricken coaches fundraiser garbage!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I came to the conclusion several years ago that high school coaches are the reason travel leagues exist.

My daughter started her sophomore year softball practice Monday and yesterday she brings home some paperwork.
Included in that paperwork is a fundraiser sign up sheet. A "prospect list"

The girls are supposed to list the names and numbers of 50 friends, relatives, parents co workers and so forth to call asking for money....

Da fuk???!!!??

"This is mandatory!" Is the last line on the sheet....

I'm not going to piss off 50 people just to make these idiots happy...

Tomorrow is parent meeting night so I'm going to stir up some crap... I have this inability to keep my mouth shut and go with the flow..

I understand that they need money and fundraising is the only way to get that money but doing it this way is bull$$$$"....

I almost forgot, they sent home a purchase order form for the girls to buy matching gear....
$40 pullovers...
$30 sweat pants....

They gotta look like a team ya know.....ugh.....

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

The girls are supposed to list the names and numbers of 50 friends, relatives, parents co workers and so forth to call asking for money....

That seems unreasonable. I don't even know 50 people. Try your best to get this sorted out somehow, in that parent meeting

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The uniforms are understandable,
as for the 50 names, put down every teacher, administrator, person on the school board and of course, all the coaches.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

Oh there won't be any sorting.
I plan on telling them what I think and that my daughter will not be calling anyone.
I'll just write a fricken check..

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

This isnt for their uniforms.
The school buys those...

This is for team gear so when they get off the bus at the opponent's field they all match.....

I dont understand how people with multiple kids pay for all this crap.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: JAGStorm

This isnt for their uniforms.
The school buys those...

This is for team gear so when they get off the bus at the opponent's field they all match.....

I dont understand how people with multiple kids pay for all this crap.

That is bullhockeypucks!! So they look good off the bus! What kind of boojee school is that?

I have 3 kids, one year there was 11 "fundraisers" at one time. I kinda let out my angst at the Spanish teacher.
They were selling blank notecards for $30.... yes you know the notecards you can get at the dollar store, for umm a dollar!

edit on 6-3-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Damn that reminds me of what they have vacuum salesmen do. I wonder if those people who are added to the list also have to provide names of people to contact.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Softball is uber competitive.

My kids were in softball. And they wanted us in the travel league. But after learning that we had to be driving several times a month an hour away to spend the entire day at some park. I told my wife. Forget that.

And yes it's not cheap. The gear, clothes and shows get expensive fast.
edit on 6-3-2019 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Sounds more like an entry level insurance salesman position than high school softball.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

That's really low. Like slithering on the ground low. To this day, I do not give out people's contact information. I will offer to give someone that person's information and their request to be contacted, but that's as far as I'll go.

Lots of us saw this coming when schools began removing practical things like shop classes and typing, etc., and the only reason sports programs were not also eliminated was because the sports programs are a piggy bank for the schools, and would be milked for all they were worth... as opposed to the classes that gave kids actual real life skills and training.

I'm not bashing sports -- just how it's run. Sports teach self-discipline, determination, teamwork, loyalty, sportsmanship -- lots of valuable qualities that can serve kids well. But not like this. It's all about the $$ now...

Good luck and give 'em hell!!!

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The fee for my kid to be a cheerleader.

$5000.00

That did not include the 3 fundraisers.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'll be rooting for you at the parent meeting tomorrow night.

I am continually astounded how everything has to be such a BIG production nowadays. From school plays to sports. People start their kids in sports when they are toddlers, and if they aren't started at a young age they are "behind" before they are even in kindergarten. It's this "go big or go home" mentality that has crept into our kids activities, and of course it is mostly driven by parent-ego. And with this "go big" mentality, comes big expense. So... this fuels the endless fundraisers.

Sometimes, the best lesson we can give our children is showing them how to stand up against a toxic culture. So... yea, I'm sending you virtual high-fives for raising a stink at the meeting tomorrow night.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It's not just extracurricular activities, sometimes it's the school.
Right after the $300 they charge for school pictures.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

I have a cheerleader too. The cost is ridiculous. The uniforms weren't even new. They've been used the last three seasons. Almost $500 just for choreography. There was a new fundraiser every month from last July until this feb. I never gave a name or bought anything from the fundraisers. This is for my 6th grader!

My youngest brings home fundraising crap the first week of school. They say the proceeds will go towards the new playground. My oldest is in 8th grade, he brought home the same fundraiser crap starting in 1st grade. Still no new playground. Not one penny! The elementary school guidance counselor even sent home a fundraiser for her fecking dog! So it could be trained to be a therapy dog. I was forced to release my Inner Bitch on that one.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

My son brings home all kinds of crap like this in kindergarten. I toss it as I don't know anyone who can afford to donate, let alone 50! That seems ridiculous!

I was on the dance team in HS with my twin sister and it was EXPENSIVE! They nickel and dime you for everything and we were the poor kids on the team so it really sucked!

They should have fund raisers like a bake sale or car wash to raise money, that is what we did in school!

Best of luck!

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   
My son goes to a STEM school. He brought home the same thing. They wanted a list of 20, and told him it was mandatory. They were going to be calling these people themselves during school time. School time is for learning, not begging. I wrote on the paper "no thank you" and signed my name. Next day he came back with another blank form. His teacher said he had to do it.

I wrote the teacher an email saying he would not be doing it, if they needed money for a trip or something, hit me up, I am more than happy to provide his share. Got an email back with a lot of "but, but, but, need money, all students...". The day they were supposed to call, he did his homework while everyone else called.

Nothing was said, which is a good thing because I would have raised a BIG stink.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

They have been doing that for many sports here in our local area for a while now, not fifty, but around ten names are required. This includes cheerleaders and just about every sport out there, including school sports. My daughter despises this practice very much. They also are having fundraisers for everything, not just sports. For school outings and for trips they dream up to go for events in different areas including motel room overnight stays. Either sell the product, or give the money, they require participation so if they don't go they are out of the group.

Most of what they are spending the money on is wants, not needs, the school has money to supply the needs, but the people running these programs want extra money and I am sick of popcorn we never eat and candybars that they for some reason took most of the sugar out of. We do not even buy girl-scout cookies anymore since they lowered the sugar in them. Taking the sugar out of a chocolate bar does not make it healthier, that is a lie, the increased chocolate chemistry can raise Histamines higher and also cause increased risk of kidney stones if you consume it in a more concentrated form. That increases histamine intolerance and urinary problems when it is more concentrated. Just put milk in it so the calcium can bind to the oxylates, milk chocolate is better for protecting from kidney stones.

I do have a gripe when they sell crappy bitter things at a high price, I do not eat much sweets, but do like a good sweet once in a while. If I am going to rant, I am going to let loose.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 12:39 PM
link   

This topic has been getting under my skin for a while. Years back I would go to the Mall through the Younkers entrance, and without fail I would get hassled by a baseball team or something to purchase a coupon book. If Younkers wants to know why they lost my business this was the reason. Then there is the hardware store. Every effin time I go to a hardware store and I do not use the "Pro" entrance, I get hassled about buying popcorn from the Boyscouts. This happens at Lowes, Home Depot and Ace. No cash? No problem, we have Square. Currently its girlscouts season. I buy from my family and that is it. When I go to the mall recently I found in lower center court the Girls Scouts have leased a space that almost anyone going to the mall will cross. Last weekend I went to the grocery store and BOTH entrances I encountered a Girl Scout barricade. Aside from being hassled about buying cookies for the hundreth time this week, there were enough people standing around the area that I considered calling the fire deparment to issue a citation for blocking an exit. Now you tell me they are soliciting contact information for High School sports? This # needs to end now.

edit on 6-3-2019 by drewlander because: grammar.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

This topic has been getting under my skin for a while.

I recently went to a school tournament. It was very early in the morning and they were having a "BIG" bake sale, and said NO outside food. I mean they really stressed that! I brought a lot of extra cash and was happy to buy.

We get there, it is total BS. They don't have coffee. Can you believe that time in the morning they wouldn't sell coffee, and they had one box of donuts for about 400 people. What are they selling, stuff like string cheese, crackers and puppy chow (its cereal dipped in chocolate dipped in powdered sugar). My husband left and proceeded to bring in contraband, Starbucks!

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

That's the problem.
Everybody everywhere has their hand out for cash.

I would much prefer they sell candy bars and have the option for a cash donation.

Her volleyball team sells $45 5 gallon buckets of laundry detergent. It goes pretty good but it's still a large chunk of money for some people.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join