It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even NPR has joined the MSM race flaming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   
www.npr.org...

An NPR investigation found that white communities nationwide have disproportionately received more federal buyouts after a disaster than communities of color.

That means money is not necessarily doled out to those who need it most but rather to those whose property is worth more — and to those who own property in the first place.

I normally like NPR, but articles like these just tick me off. They only serve one purpose, to make people believe racist things that simply aren't true.
Don't get me wrong, there are many racist things that are true, but this is not one of them.

For anyone that has lived in a coastal community, you know that you can't just get regular flood insurance. You have to go through FEMA and buy special insurance. (it is cheap btw, when I got it, it was like 200 bucks a year)
If you don't buy the insurance, you aren't covered. If 99 red ants don't buy insurance, but the one yellow one does, the government is not being racist against the red ants!

Also, why on earth would housing insurance money be "doled out" to those that don't own the house????? That is the most asinine statement i've read in a long time!

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.npr.org...

An NPR investigation found that white communities nationwide have disproportionately received more federal buyouts after a disaster than communities of color.

That means money is not necessarily doled out to those who need it most but rather to those whose property is worth more — and to those who own property in the first place.

I normally like NPR, but articles like these just tick me off. They only serve one purpose, to make people believe racist things that simply aren't true.
Don't get me wrong, there are many racist things that are true, but this is not one of them.

For anyone that has lived in a coastal community, you know that you can't just get regular flood insurance. You have to go through FEMA and buy special insurance. (it is cheap btw, when I got it, it was like 200 bucks a year)
If you don't buy the insurance, you aren't covered. If 99 red ants don't buy insurance, but the one yellow one does, the government is not being racist against the red ants!

Also, why on earth would housing insurance money be "doled out" to those that don't own the house????? That is the most asinine statement i've read in a long time!

In Michigan...I have a few friends who live river-side to different rivers....and can't get flood insurance at all...because they DO live river-side and it's obvious it could flood, so companies won't insure them for that.

No flood ins. coverage...because you do live in flood plain, coastal area, or along a river...

Sux...and is ironic, huh?

edit on 6-3-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I think if your stupid enough to build a home in a known flood zone.

You deserve what you get or don't get .

edit on 6-3-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Some ZIP codes won't come up with many — or any — records, which could meanthat FEMA buyouts didn't happen there during the time period for which we received records or that those records don't appear in the database.

That's some crappy reporting from NPR.

2+2=5

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I listen to NPR quite a bit to get my daily dose of liberal propaganda. I don't think they've ever been balenced.

They blast the same progressive talking points daily and it's exhausting imo

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

I listen to NPR quite a bit to get my daily dose of liberal propaganda. I don't think they've ever been balenced.

I don't listen to it, but have been Ok with their articles online, guess that is changing.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   

I don't listen to it, but have been Ok with their articles online, guess that is changing.

I don't go on their website and only listen to NPR because I'm too cheap for unlimited data on my phone. They constantly find a way to talk about feminism, diversity, anti Trump, bad Republicans etc. All fair topics but 24/7 interjected into every single conversation gets really really old fast.

I was surprised the other day they had a non political subject about competitive gaming. It turned into diversity and sexism in gaming. I ended up just driving in silence and changing my data plan

edit on 6-3-2019 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

I agree with you to a point.
My Sister's house wasn't on a flood plain until the local government decided to put a dam on a stream to create a lake to lure tourists. Now she can't get flood insurance.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

originally posted by: neo96

I agree with you to a point.
My Sister's house wasn't on a flood plain until the local government decided to put a dam on a stream to create a lake to lure tourists. Now she can't get flood insurance.

I wasn't in a flood zone either, but if you live in an area that can ever flood (like due to a hurricane, tornado,etc etc., which is a lot of places you better have flood insurance. People do not realize that until after the fact. You have to be very careful about how you tell the insurance company too. I forget a lot of it now, but when I lived in Florida we had to do all of this. You couldn't just say hey my house flooded. You had to use specific words like water entered my house via ....
It was so stupid.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Agreed. With NPR, it is how they word their stories:

Most drugs seized at the border are at ports of entry....the word seized. It makes it sound that the ports are the prime crossing places. They are just the most manned and funnel you to the tech to search the vehicles. The drugs that go through the open border disappear, and since are not seized.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   

www.npr.org...

It is obvious that statistics is not taught in journalism school. My issue with studies like this is that they are often very shallow as you demonstrated. However, more frustrating is that liberals take this BS as face value with no critical analysis and then parrot the results as if it means something. You see this ALL THE TIME and why it makes debating with them so frustrating.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   
NPR and PBS have always been "One" sided politically 😶

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

At least Fox News is fair and balanced.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Man that is some distortion of reality.

I know and have experienced why this happens. Rich people, (not me) buy expensive properties, typically along rivers, lakes, streams, and on the coasts. Those properties are in short supply and thus command a premium price. When you take out a mortgage to buy one the banks insist you buy into the Federal Flood Insurance program.

Typically, when a property covered by that program has flooded out 3 times or more, causing a insurance pay-out, the Feds say, "enough" and "buy-out" the property, effectively taking it out of circulation for future development. So, yea......the Rich guys get more buy outs.

No rocket science there!

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

How dare they denigrate your years of statistical analyses of the authorities historic responses to predominantly black communities.

edit on 6/3/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: xuenchen

At least Fox News is fair and balanced.

At least CNN and MSNBC aren't 😷

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Man that is some distortion of reality.

I know and have experienced why this happens. Rich people, (not me) buy expensive properties, typically along rivers, lakes, streams, and on the coasts. Those properties are in short supply and thus command a premium price. When you take out a mortgage to buy one the banks insist you buy into the Federal Flood Insurance program.

Typically, when a property covered by that program has flooded out 3 times or more, causing a insurance pay-out, the Feds say, "enough" and "buy-out" the property, effectively taking it out of circulation for future development. So, yea......the Rich guys get more buy outs.

No rocket science there!

That isn't racism though... which is what the study is claiming.

The reason predominately black communities don't have natural disaster claims at the same level is because black people tend to live in more urban areas which generally are not as prone to natural disasters.

You won't find many natural disasters in NYC. Or Chicago. Or Atlanta. Or other areas with large black populations. In addition, you find very few blacks in areas prone to natural disasters like Tornado Alley.

C'mon, you guys cannot be this thick intellectually.

edit on 6-3-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well, it is true, in some communities, property values are lower, especially in slums. So much less disaster funding goes to these communities because things are worth less.

Lets kick this up. Disaster funds going to California with a high cost of living help way less people than it does in a regular town. Remember, when there is a declared disaster, the insurance company is off the hook, reimbursement for damages comes through the feds but is handled by insurances who pay a premium for this protection which is part of your bill you pay for insurance. So in California, a house on the taxrolls for two million gets two million coverage, while if that same house was in the Upper Peninsula up here, it would only fetch maybe two hundred thousand. Our house is worth about two hundred grand here, it would easily sell for two million in California in some places.

So, disaster funds are not equal in dispersal. I would not expect two million for my home, but I cannot see the government paying two million to someone who has a house and land like I have either. But that is the way it is allocated here under present laws, the rich benefit more than the poor or middle class working guy. Risk of fires and earthquakes causing damage in California is much higher, the rate does not reflect that increased rate, only the taxable value and insured value govern that, the insured value is based on the value in areas, so that effects the inequity.

The NPR is making a general statement, but do not tell the whole story. They are kind of spreading misinformation because they are omitting a lot of pertinent stuff. If you are black and living in a neighborhood that has high tax values in California, you will get just as much as the white people in that area. There are probably rich black neighborhoods there with high tax values too.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
FEMA flood insurance came about because rich people were losing their vacation homes along the coast. People who could afford to rebuild it themselves got off the hook. Before beach vacation homes came of vogue in the 70's real estate along the coast was dirt cheap and so were the houses. Everybody knew that in 20 to 30 years a storm would take it they would have to rebuild. We can thank FEMA for making beach vacations unaffordable to many Americans by skewing property values.

John Stossels did a piece on FEMA flood insurance I'll have to find.
He lost his vacation home to a hurricane and FEMA paid him to replace it.

Not the episode I had in mind but close:

As for NPR I haven't trusted them in over 20 years. Their minority focus on everything is so predictable they've become a cliche.
edit on 6-3-2019 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Precisely my point. They took a fact and distorted the conclusion to match their preconcieved idea on race.

NPR is hopeless.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join