It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPS ground shipping - are there different types for "basic ground"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I've had a number of really odd shipping experiences with UPS that I can't get an answer from them about. I just shipped a package, picked up at 4:30pm Tuesday and is expected by noon on Thursday. The package has to go 1200 miles. Another package (almost identical size & weight) was shipped 3/1 and is expected 3/11-3/12 and only has to go 400 miles. Both were shipped basic UPS ground (same exact option on the UPS shipping label site). Both packages are coming from large metropolitan areas (3.5-5 million people) so there should be relatively the same UPS shipping infrastructure and they don't have to wait for a truck to fill up to go to a distribution hub.

There's been similar shipments, some very large (30" cube box) going 500 miles, and I got it in ~54 hours. Three other packages shipped the same day (as 30" package), from same place but much smaller (think little larger than shoebox) took a week to get to me. All standard ground shipping.

Then there's the crazy shipping options when I order standard ground (from a large product distro warehouse in NJ - ~ 150 miles away) and the site says 3-5 day shipping. Often I order at 5pm and it's on the door at 10am the next day, and it's a ground label, not some mistake that was over-nighted. I try to order from that place often b/c even orders by 7pm often are there by 10am-12 the next day.

What is most frustrating is the next day when it doesn't arrive or there is a sticker on the door (they never knocked - that has happened a couple times, or they knock very lightly..). If anyone has experienced this it's really frustrating and you can talk to your delivery driver and sign a "drop of release" where they can leave the package even if you aren't there - this can be based on where you live (like city, high crime area, they might not leave the package) - so ask the driver if you find this happening - they don't seem to tell people about it unless you ask.

Anyone work for UPS or other shipping companies and know why this type of stuff happens?

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
I've had a number of really odd shipping experiences with UPS that I can't get an answer from them about. I just shipped a package, picked up at 4:30pm Tuesday and is expected by noon on Thursday. The package has to go 1200 miles. Another package (almost identical size & weight) was shipped 3/1 and is expected 3/11-3/12 and only has to go 400 miles. Both were shipped basic UPS ground (same exact option on the UPS shipping label site). Both packages are coming from large metropolitan areas (3.5-5 million people) so there should be relatively the same UPS shipping infrastructure and they don't have to wait for a truck to fill up to go to a distribution hub.

There's been similar shipments, some very large (30" cube box) going 500 miles, and I got it in ~54 hours. Three other packages shipped the same day (as 30" package), from same place but much smaller (think little larger than shoebox) took a week to get to me. All standard ground shipping.

Then there's the crazy shipping options when I order standard ground (from a large product distro warehouse in NJ - ~ 150 miles away) and the site says 3-5 day shipping. Often I order at 5pm and it's on the door at 10am the next day, and it's a ground label, not some mistake that was over-nighted. I try to order from that place often b/c even orders by 7pm often are there by 10am-12 the next day.

What is most frustrating is the next day when it doesn't arrive or there is a sticker on the door (they never knocked - that has happened a couple times, or they knock very lightly..). If anyone has experienced this it's really frustrating and you can talk to your delivery driver and sign a "drop of release" where they can leave the package even if you aren't there - this can be based on where you live (like city, high crime area, they might not leave the package) - so ask the driver if you find this happening - they don't seem to tell people about it unless you ask.

Anyone work for UPS or other shipping companies and know why this type of stuff happens?

I can tell you this...whatever you order, all comps have contracted out, so you could see any # vehicles delivering, all with different levels of service./reliability.

These I see daily: Prime and all others: using Uhaul, Ryder, Penske rentals, Amazon, Post Office, UPS, Fed Ex, DHL...any of them could be delivering.

*I'm in my EMS all day-see 'em all day.

Example? I've seen a Uhaul van delivering for UPS...a Ryder rental delivering for Amazon etc....

I hope this just helps you understand that no matter ground, overnight, whatever...can be affected by all the millions of deliveries, and equally more companies trying to get them to us ordering...

Best

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Ground is ground.
Te delays you are experiencing is likely due to who you are ordering from.
UPS picks up a package, then it goes to one of their distribution centers, then gets delivered to you, or another distribution center, and so on.

They don't play favorites, it's all the same to them.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   

When you select shipping options and it's 3-5 days,

When that package gets scanned, it comes up as hot or cold.
Hot means it needs to get out by x time time make it to its destination on time, cold means it can wait.

They have x amount of space on outgoing vessels, hot goes first.

Sometimes they sit on the cold if the space gets filled up, sometimes you get it early.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I worked for UPS for 31 years, retiring in 2016. Standard GROUND is the same for everyone, there is no "crazy shipping options" for GROUND, unless the package is over 70 lbs.

When a driver picks up a GROUND package, whether it's from an individual, a UPS Store, or business, it gets unloaded at that driver's hub, once the driver finishes their shift. Soon after the driver pulls into their hub, the package is unloaded and scanned, then loaded onto a specific trailer, based on where the package is being shipped to. That trailer is then hauled to a central (large distribution) hub, where it is unloaded and then transferred to another trailer, to be hauled to a regional hub, near the town or city where that package is being sent to. If the regional hub is located where that package is being delivered to, it's unloaded from the trailer and loaded directly onto a package car for delivery on that day. If not, the package is once again loaded onto yet another trailer, that is driven and unloaded at the UPS warehouse (where the "package cars" are) that services the town or city where the package is to be delivered.

A driver WILL NOT release a package if you live in an apartment complex, or in an area known for high claims (packages that are stolen or "lost"). A seller, or a buyer, may request "signature only" if the package is of high value. I sell guitars and bass guitars part time on ebay. All my packages are shipped "signature only." A package going to the west coast from my state (NY), may take 6 to 7 days to be delivered, depending on what central hub it's going to. Hope this helps.

edit on 3/6/2019 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

top topics

join