It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maya ritual cave ‘untouched’ for 1,000 years stuns archaeologists

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
You are descended from apes that walked from Ethiopia to Mexico.

You are literally the only person I've seen suggest such a thing.

Maybe make an effort to understand current theories of human migration before you dismiss them?
edit on 7/3/19 by FatherLukeDuke because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: peacefulpete

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: KKLOCO

Gobekli Tepe is jaw dropping.

Do people still believe that Gobleki Tepe was deliberately buried with dirt? For preservation?

I've read / heard that several times, and I think it's ridiculous, lol. The site is probably buried because of dirt naturally covering it over thousands of years.

But yeah the site is indeed jaw-dropping. I don't think anyone has figured out a mundane purpose for the site. Especially with the weird carvings of animals on the stones.

I believe the reason they think it was deliberately buried — because the site and stones were not displaced. Had it been covered naturally, it would be more of a mess.

By the fact that everything is so well preserved (in their original positions), leads them to believe it was deliberately and carefully buried. If true, this only adds enormously to the mystery. If we could only understand their inscriptions from 12,000 years ago...

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Mostly because the international trade in antiquities that funded hundreds of years of excavations has been stomped out.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Caughtlurking

Mostly because the international trade in antiquities that funded hundreds of years of excavations has been stomped out.

Stomped out by who? Additionally, what is the motive?

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Because a lot of the interesting sites are in places that are #ed due to war and stuff.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Do people still believe that Gobleki Tepe was deliberately buried with dirt? For preservation?

I've read / heard that several times, and I think it's ridiculous, lol. The site is probably buried because of dirt naturally covering it over thousands of years.

But yeah the site is indeed jaw-dropping. I don't think anyone has figured out a mundane purpose for the site. Especially with the weird carvings of animals on the stones.

I believe the reason they think it was deliberately buried — because the site and stones were not displaced. Had it been covered naturally, it would be more of a mess.

By the fact that everything is so well preserved (in their original positions), leads them to believe it was deliberately and carefully buried. If true, this only adds enormously to the mystery. If we could only understand their inscriptions from 12,000 years ago...

I always figured that the buried idea, comes from people being unable to imagine how many thousands of years it would take, for the dust and dirt to bury it, by natural means.

By the way, how about those Easter Island statues, similarly buried for the majority of the statues... It seems similar to Gobleki Tepe's "burial."

But I don't think anyone has suggested that the Easter Island statues were deliberately buried... Has this been suggested? I think I've always heard that the statues' burial is from nature... right?

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

"Accidentaly" - Pretty much sums up archeology and most science tbh.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

I always figured that the buried idea, comes from people being unable to imagine how many thousands of years it would take, for the dust and dirt to bury it, by natural means.

By the way, how about those Easter Island statues, similarly buried for the majority of the statues... It seems similar to Gobleki Tepe's "burial."

But I don't think anyone has suggested that the Easter Island statues were deliberately buried... Has this been suggested? I think I've always heard that the statues' burial is from nature... right?

A couple of my own observations regarding this.

1. The Easter island statues were not completely buried, which lends to the case of being natural. Göbekli Tepe was completely buried and 90% still is.

2. Easter island statues are at the base of a mountain, allowing for more erosion from higher levels to inundate the statues. Göbekli Tepe has no mountain above it to erode on to it (maybe it did thousands of years ago).

3. The Easter island statues are much thicker at the base, allowing them more stability to stay upright when dirt or erosion crashes down upon them. Göbekli Tepe’s ‘pillars’ are much more narrow at the base, making it difficult for them to continue in the upright position if done naturally over 12,000 years.

Of coarse we won’t know all the answers to this until they excavate the other 90% of it. Ground penetrating radar has shown that it’s in a great state of preservation, though.

On a side note, it’s my belief that the Moai statues on Easter Island are much older than the main stream is telling us.

posted on Mar, 8 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Great post, with several great points.

Yep I did think that Easter Island statues had more obvious geographical activity around them (to explain their burial) such as ocean wind currents, mountain erosion, etc.

So I guess that makes Gobleki Tepe a slight bit more mysterious why / how it got buried.

However, my money is on both places being buried by nature, over thousands of years.

As hard as it is for us to imagine it happening naturally... it's literally just a matter of time, I think. So I think G.T. gets considered as deliberately buried... just not to acknowledge that it's a couple / few thousand yrs older than we'd like to think.

However, no one knows for sure, these are some of the most mysterious topics in the world.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join