It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where would one go to find posts about cryptocurrency?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Vgl004

Steer clear of YouTube personalities that promote specific coins.

Anyone with an ounce of integrity knows that this is an emerging market and that nothing is a sure win coin, even Bitcoin.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I would add that one should read the white paper of the projects in question.

You don't necessarily need to know the math involved, but you should be looking out for unscientific language, excessive use of jargon, unnecessary "wordiness", and other tells that the project may be a scam, or simply a poor attempt that's not worth the time.

There is nothing wrong with talking about a specific coin, or even promoting a project. But there's a huge difference between that and someone who is preaching a get rich quick scheme. There is such a thing as pump-and-dump crews. They WILL show up on the next bull run. They'll run up a coin 200% or more and then dump it on their recruits. This is a pyramid scheme and it is usually isolated to Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs), and low-cap coins.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Agreed.

Would also admit that just because a coins works as a currency, doesn't mean too much in the grand scheme (Nano!). We're coming to a point where these blockchains will need to be more than currency, although that's not to say that someone won't pick up a coin to use as their own 'currency.'

Come to think of it, this has to be very confusing to new comers.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   
YES IT IS EXTREMELY CONFUSING. lol which brings me to still feel like I need clarification after my research. So there are tokens and their are coins. Tokens serve as more of the “business or service” and coins are the actual currency to spend on the service or good your purchasing? If I understand that right, wouldn’t it be more beneficial to invest in the actual coins that will be used to purchase things/services? Now I understand that, for instance if we’re thinking about ETH as a token, you would have to pay a small amount for using this platform like a tax kind of I see it as. But surely this couldn’t get to be more valuable than a coin in itself because I wouldn’t see anyone spending more on this “tax” than the actual good/service.

Also, let’s keep ETH as an example, there are many other tokens operating under Erc-20, which claim they will then collect a “tax” as well, as well as have their own coin AS WELL. Wouldn’t this get a bit ridiculous with all the tokens and coin one has to keep in their wallet?

Also, I can’t imagine having so many different platforms (sorry I don’t remember what to call these head honchos) such as ETH, NEO, EOS I think is one. Wouldn’t there naturally be just one “platform” that everybody will adopt and use?

I am just trying to learn everything including how this is suppose to work in the real world. I know this is all still very new and all the kinks and bugs will work itself out over time, but I just can’t seem to get a grasp on how this is all going to eventually play out. (Probably because I’m so confused about what I wrote in the beginning of this post.) any clarification from you guys would be appreiated.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Vgl004

The quick and dirty although not entirely accurate depending on the person is:
Coin: Cryptocurrency that is designed to be used to transfer value peer to peer. It's own blockchain.
Token: Typically a launched batch of crypto launched from a utility platform that runs on the Ethereum network (ERC-20)

Ethereum, Cardano, EOS, NEO, ARK, etc are platforms. They are blockchains designed to host dapps and other blockchain services for others to build on. Some believe that one platform will rule them all, some (myself included) believe that they a few will actually be able to expand fast enough and be rigid enough to handle the needs of the users.

posted on Mar, 7 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

That was pretty freaking accurate..lol

(post by EricHolm removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 30 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join